Thread: Calling all of the Malamute/Husky Lovers (here)

Calling all of the Malamute/Husky Lovers (here)

I found this really heart-filling movie that you ought watch. It's beautiful and basis on a true story.
    Antarctica
    http://www.amazon.com/Antarctica-Ken...7734713&sr=8-3

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

I've never seen that one, but I recommend a movie called 'Nickie Wild Dog of the North' He's a husky/wolf/alaskan malamute mix or something like that. He makes friends w/ a baby bear and the whole movie he's trying to find his owner that he got separated from. It's very good but also real old so I don't know if it's still available to buy/rent or not.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I haven't seen this one yet, but it is the story/movie that "Eight Below" is based on. I think Antartica came out like 20 years ago. It is supposed to be closer to the real story than Eight Below was.

it is a true story but Disney took that movie and change some storyline as well

BUT also the dogs were not Siberian Husky or Malamute they were Sakhalin Husky which they're no longer around anymore

You can read more about it!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nankyoku_Monogatari

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

I saw Eight Below. That was a really great movie!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by Genny
    I saw Eight Below. That was a really great movie!
    Yeah, it was a great movie because it wasn't the entire story.

I've never watched the movie and I'm quite sure I never will.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Angie, 8 Below is just a story- with a happy ending- only loosely based on the facts of the real incident. The dogs & the scenery are amazing in 8 Below. We have the DVD & the "extra features" about the filming & the dogs are really interesting, too.

I think watching Antarctica would be much more upsetting, because it's closer to the truth.

I think watching Antarctica would be much more upsetting, because it's closer to the truth.
    Why? Do they all die or something? Eight Below was kinda sad because all the dogs didn't make it either, but most of them did. I didn't know that there was a movie called "Antarctica"

Quote Originally Posted by Genny
    Why? Do they all die or something?
    Thirteen of the fifteen dogs died, most were still on their chains. Taro & Jiro, the two that survived, became famous in Japan. Found this on the web:
    Sakhalin Husky, also known as the Karafuto-Ken:

Antarctic expedition
    This breed's claim to fame came from the ill-fated 1958 Japanese research expedition to Antarctica, which made an emergency evacuation and was forced to leave behind 15 sled dogs. The researchers believed that a relief team would arrive within a few days, so they left the dogs chained up outside with a small supply of food; however, the weather turned bad and the team never made it to the outpost.

Incredibly, nearly one year later, a new expedition arrived and discovered that two of the dogs, "Taro" and "Jiro", had survived and they became instant heroes. ...The breed spiked in popularity upon the release of the 1983 film, Nankyoku Monogatari, about Taro and Jiro. A second 2006 film, Eight Below, provided a fictional version of the occurrence, but did not reference the breed. Instead, the film features only eight dogs: two Alaskan malamutes and six Siberian huskies.

Also found this, from a woman who visited the garden in Japan where statues of a pack of huskies commemorate the incident:
    "I had to wipe away tears as I read the story, but there was something gnawing at me. Just what did Taro and Jiro eat all those months? What if they'd been lunching on the other pooches in the mush line? After a bit more research I was relieved to learn that some of the dogs had slipped their collars and learned to hunt penguins and seals. Of the dogs that got free, only Taro and Jiro survived the dangers of the harsh climate, but there is nothing to suggest cannibalism. In fact, the frozen corpses of several dogs were found untouched. Heroes don't eat their buddies."
    Last edited by cyber-sibes; 08-29-2007 at 12:28 PM.

How sad! I thought Eight Below was pretty much what really happened. I didn't know about this