Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Lily is constipated and got an enema! (Back to the vet!!)

Poor Lily is constipated and got an enema! (Back to the vet!!)

I have a day off today, and where did I spend the day? Right, at the vet's office!!

Lily cried a lot last night before going potty, more than usual, and she sounded truly pitiful! So off to the vet we went this morning, and it turned out that her colon was full of stool. As this girl is impossible to medicate, the vet decided to give her an enema/clyster, and she whined and cried while she got that. Poor girl!!

Bad thing is, most of the liquid came out only minutes later, together with a bit of poop, and she hasn't been potty since. So this wasn't quite the effect my vet and I were hoping for. But she's got a new diet now, Hill's r/d. She ate from Luna's Hill's c/d, and that constipated her even more than usual. Poor little one!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 08-23-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Aw, poor little girl. That's painful! My Puddy went through that just a few months ago. I came home from work and found her lying on her belly in the litter box, crying. She had really thick mud-like poop stuck to her behind. Dr. Lee, rather than give her an enema, palpated her abdomen; that didn't work. So the sweet girl had to be put under anesthesia because her colon was blocked w/dried feces. But that's the last bad bout of anything that she's had in months. So watch Lily closely for signs that she still might be blocked. (I know you will anyhow.)
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Hairball medicine (comes in tube) is good source for keeping kittys regular.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Hairball medicine (comes in tube) is good source for keeping kittys regular.

Well, I have something like that, but it's almost impossible to get that paste into Lily!!

I was wondering about offering some cow milk to her. Maybe she would drink that? As it's usually causing diarrhea, I was wondering if it would make her stool softer. Or would it only cause even more tummy-ache?

So watch Lily closely for signs that she still might be blocked. (I know you will anyhow.)
    Yes, I will!

Poor little Puddy!! That sounds heartbreaking! Glad that she's doing better now!

Kirsten

No on cow's milk.
    Cat's arent laxtose tolerent. You dont want more problems.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Kirsten - the hairball paste, you smear a bit on Lily's paws so she licks it off!

Maybe a bit of olive oil too - would she lick it off your finger?

Poor baby - I hope she is better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

When Hope Simone was constipated, I did some research and found that using LACTULOSE, a liquid medication used for advanced liver failure helped!!! Its use is to get rid of the ammonia that the dying liver produces, but a side effect was loosely formed stools. Hope Simone still gets it three times a week and is doing fine. Kirsten, ask your vet about it. Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Maybe some cats are lactose intolerant but mine sure aren't. And none of the cats I've rescued down through the years were either. Mine always drink leftover skim milk from my cereal bowl and when I used to feed the outdoor rescues, I gave them warm, heavy cream every day to fatten them up a bit to keep them warm in the winter. Never had a problem and my vet said it was ok to do so.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Back to the vet today!!

Poor Lily went back to the vet today! She still had problems pooping, and last night, she cried again before she went potty.

This time, she was x-rayed to find out if she's blocked. Luckily she's not, but there was a lot of stool remaining in her intestines. So she got another enema, and they gave her some oil at the vets, which she swallowed (forgot to ask what kind of oil it was, and I'm sorry for that, but I'm not myself atm, facing my own surgery).

Anyway, on our way back home, Lily had a little potty accident in her carrier, and she really hated it. But this time, more came out, so I guess that's good. And we changed her diet to Hill's r/d.

But I hate to leave her alone next week. My girl needs some extra care, and I cannot be there for her! And I cannot care for Luna either. Who will monitor her peeing habits while I'm away! How I wish I could stay with them!

Kirsten

You may not be gone very long. Ask your doctor what kind of procedure she is using.

DO you have a friend or relative that could help you out for a day or so?

{{{hugs}}}

I am glad Lily is feeling better.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Glad that Lily is feeling better; that's painful when they have that condition. Hopefully, you have some neighbors or relatives that you can rely on for help while you're gone?
    Blessings,
    Mary

You can try Cat Lube treats - they're made by Veterinarian's Best, and they don't have any petroleum. They're chicken flavored, and made with papaya and slippery elm bark. Smudge says they taste pretty good (even though nowadays he only gets them when he won't eat his canned food that has his allergy medicine in it, since that cures his constipation too).

Love, Columbine

Quote Originally Posted by columbine
    You can try Cat Lube treats - they're made by Veterinarian's Best, and they don't have any petroleum. They're chicken flavored, and made with papaya and slippery elm bark. Smudge says they taste pretty good (even though nowadays he only gets them when he won't eat his canned food that has his allergy medicine in it, since that cures his constipation too).

Love, Columbine

I hope lilly gets to feel better. Hope for the best for her.

Thanks Maltese_love for the siggy, blinkie, and avatar!

Kirsten, I sure hope that Lily will be okay now. My RB Pepper was constipated and he had to be put on lactulose. He hated the taste but it sure worked for him. I also hope that you can have some one come over to help you take care of both of your girls while you're in the hospital and recovering from surgery. Please try not to stress too much.

Cleo had some constipation a few weeks back and spent a day in the hospital. She had some gentle chiropractic and acupuncture and tummy massage and a very mild enema.
    She now has a mixture of powdered herbs (psyllium husk and slippery elm and other things) to help bulk her and keep her regular and I was told to make her food very wet and sloppy with warm water. She's now "going" fine.

Recently she was found to have quite a lot of white blood cells in her urine so she had some antibiotics and is going for a check up next Saturday - I have to try to catch some urine for another microscopic exam.

Her appetite is voracious but she is still losing weight, I think the hyperthyroidism may have progressed. But vet has not wanted to change the fine balance of meds that has been keeping her so well for so long, and perhaps upset the blood pressure and then the kidneys still further. We'll revisit that decision when we see her Saturday.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)