Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I Need It Now!

Exclamation Help! I Need It Now!

This is Duke's last chance. If he goes to the bathroom in the house one more time, my grandmom is going to get rid of him! I take him out for walks a lot more and let him out in the yard too. Any help would be great. I just need it really quickly. I really don't wanna give Duke away! I can't lose him now!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

This is not something that can be solved in two minutes.

It is your responsibility to not allow him to go to the bathroom in the house. Set up a schedule and allow him plenty of opportunites to go outside and when he's in the house either crate him or put a leash on him and tether him to you.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Yes, set a regular schedule, and take him out and don't go in until he has "done his business." When does he "go" in the house? Is there a pattern? Cut down on treats in the evenings after dinner if it's a night-time thing, etc. Figure out a pattern, then modify your own behavior and schedule to combat this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Yes, set a regular schedule, and take him out and don't go in until he has "done his business." When does he "go" in the house? Is there a pattern? Cut down on treats in the evenings after dinner if it's a night-time thing, etc. Figure out a pattern, then modify your own behavior and schedule to combat this.
    He usually goes to the bathroom in the house in the middle of the night. Once and awhile he will go in the day time. He doesn't do that everyday though. He also went in my aunts house. I always give him treats when he goes to the bathroom in the yard or out on walks. I don't give him treats when he goes in the house. When ever we catch him "going" in the house, we tell him "NO!" I thought that would be good.

I HIGHLY suggest getting a crate and leaving him in it when he can not be watched. But be sure not to leave him it too long, only use it during the day when no one can keep an eye on him and also at night.
    How old is he?
    What breed?
    Has he been cheked by a vet to be sure he doesn't have a medical problem??
    Do you take him out right after he's eaten?
    Does he poop or pee (or both) in the house?
    You may want to limit his water intake to only when you're home and are able to take him out to potty a little while after drinking.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Okay, you're problem is at night, then? I would suggest either once again, tying him to your bed at night or putting him in a crate.

Good luck!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

What kind of dog is Duke? The way we house trained our poodle was we put newspapers down for her at first (in the house) and when she went on them we would take them outside with us when we took her out and then she would smell that and see that's where she had gone before and then she'd use the bathroom outside instead of in the house. It took time but she is now 6 yrs old and never uses the bathroom in the house!!!

Also putting him in a crate/dog carrier would be a good idea too. Just only let him out when you're playing/feeding him or taking him outside!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Not sure if you free feed or not.. but with dogs that have issues with going to the bathroom inside.. it is better to not free feed. If you feed them in the morning and at night and then let them outside immediately after, they will get on a routine..

Our three go outside while I prepare their meals, they pee, and then they come in and eat. Then its right back outside for them, and they'll all three poop. Took about a week for Eli to get completely used to this schedule when we got him..

One thing with our Bunny is that if we let her have free roam of the house at night, she will --guarenteed-- pee and/or poop downstairs in front of our tv. We have a 2 story townhouse.. so we put up a baby gate at the top of the steps, she can wander around upstairs.. but not downstairs. And she's never peed or pooped upstairs. We've also, in the past, used leashes and tied them to our dresser legs. That was before the baby gate.

We also let them outside right before we go upstairs to go to bed and first thing in the morning after they wake up.

This is definitely not a quick fix.. but if you can figure out when he's going and make changes to prevent him from doing so, it can be solved. =)
    Good luck!

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

you NEED to get a crate.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

yes, everyone has given good advice, but I wanted to add that most dogs go to the bathroom after they wake up and after eating mostly so always make sure you carry Duke out at those times too
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Yeah, I would zip him outside everytime he eats, drinks lots of water, and definately after he wakes up from a long nap!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

I dont know if this will be of any help but, try thoes indoor potty pads. while we was potty training reggie we used thoes so that she could go to the bathroom inside as well as outside. Then we started switching her to all outside. We NEVER even TOUCHED a crate during this AND we free fed during this. it just takes patience, it took us over a year to potty - train reggie.

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    I HIGHLY suggest getting a crate and leaving him in it when he can not be watched. But be sure not to leave him it too long, only use it during the day when no one can keep an eye on him and also at night.
    How old is he?
    What breed?
    Has he been cheked by a vet to be sure he doesn't have a medical problem??
    Do you take him out right after he's eaten?
    Does he poop or pee (or both) in the house?
    You may want to limit his water intake to only when you're home and are able to take him out to potty a little while after drinking.
    Duke is a three year old Beagle. He doesn't have a medical problem when we took him to the vet. My grandpa takes him out early in the morning once he wakes up. I usually take him out after I get back from school, but since it's summer, I take him for a walk after he is done eating lunch. He pees and poops in the house, but mostly poops.

Thank you everyone for your advice

Like everyone else is saying Duke needs to be on a schedule...pick 2 times a day to feed him (unless you only feed once a day), early morning and in the evening for example. Keep to that Schedule. He also needs to be crated if you can, i couldn't imagine house training a dog without a crate, it makes the whole process a whole lot easier...When hes done eating he needs to go out, when he gets up from a nap he should go out aswell.

Well, i mean i use a crate as a bed for reggie but i never lock her up in it. And, i dont see how crating a dog helps, it seems that it would make it harder.