Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Orphaned Cats - Can you Help???

Two Orphaned Cats - Can you Help???

Hello,

I am writing this for a cat rescue friend of mine in Akron, Ohio. We are trying desperately to find a forever home for Freddy and Puddy, whose owner died recently leaving them orphans. Please read their story and help if you can!!!

www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

Thanks, in advance, everyone - I just know we can do this!

Bari and the Pride (and Eric too)!

That's every elderly cat-owner's nightmare. Might there be a nursing home or some such place that needs elder-friendly kitties?

Great Idea, Karen

Thanks for the idea, Karen. If anyone here knows of a home, we'd love to hear about it...and we'll certainly check our local areas!!!

Bari

Karen has the right idea. I just looked up a bunch of assisted living communities in Akron, Ohio and surrounding areas and will call them tomorrow to see if they would be willing to take in one or both of the cats.

I've done pet therapy in convalescent and assisted living communities and it works wonders!! I will let you know how I make out.

Wish me luck!! I am hell bent on finding these poor guys a home. I only wish I could take them myself.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

thanks Donna...

Donna, you're great! We really do hope to keep these two together if at all possible...they've been together so long - can you stress that??? thanks so much for your help!!!!

Bari

Concern about their shyness

Donna, Eric wrote me after reading your plans and had this important point...

these cats are far too shy ~~~They need a Quiet home with NO dogs ~~~ A great Idea ~ I know the nursing homes far to well ~~ The last one had Two Great cats ~~~ But these cats are a project ~~ I can't get near them yet ~~ They are loving with whom they know

So it looks like its going to have to be with someone who can work with the cats just to befriend them...not an easy placement I'm afraid. I have a couple of cats who are much the same...so shy that only I can approach them. I know how this can be.

Bari

Bari,

Thanks for letting me know about the cats. With pet therapy, you have to have cats who are outgoing, don't mind being held and love being around people.

Let me do some research on it today and I'll see if I can come up with something. These cats need a quiet, loving home with someone who understands what these cats are all about.

One thing I'd cannot emphasize enough is making provisions for pets. Alot of people get their ducks in order, i.e., a will. When making those arrangements, REMEMBER YOUR PETS!!! Ask family members, friends if it's possible for them to adopt them should anything happen to you. Put it in writing (I did!!) exactly what it is you want. Provide for their care (monetarily) in your will. Many times people think they have time to do that and put it off. Unfortunately, time does not work that way. You could die tomorrow (like that poor man did, leaving his pets in limbo). For the sake of your pets, DO IT NOW!!! Even if it's on a plain old piece of paper that's notarized.

I'll get off my soapbox now and keep you posted on how I make out.
    Last edited by moosmom; 07-29-2002 at 08:48 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Providing for pets in your will

Donna, I couldn't agree more. We have 10 cats. We're almost 60. Our famiy is as animal crazy as we are and already have many of their own...thus the need for providing for them in our wills.

Here in Houston we have a unique lady who runs Cat Nap Estates. She cares for animals provided for in wills and has a back up system set up should something happen to her.

Thanks again for helping with Freddy and Puddy. Please feel free to correspond directly with Eric on any questions or info you get...I just stepped in because I was already a COTD member.

Bari

I sure hope they can find a home together that will love them for the rest of their lives.

Freddy & Puddy

Thank You Sammi ~My prayer also~~ This is Eric, the man who is trying to help Rescue Freddy & Puddy here in Akron, Ohio. My Email is [email protected] and my phone is 330- 864-2879. We have 14 cats we care for, and I just can't keep them myself. PLEASE if you know anyone or can link us to other sites.
    Our fosters are swamped with the new Cat trap and Kill law they just passed here in Akron Ohio. www.Saveourcats.org We are trying to fight it. ~~~ If you can Help Freddy & Puddy PLEASE let me know ~~ { A special thanks to Bari D. without her help I couldn't have done this}
    Thank you to Moosmom for you post

Well, I've just about exhausted all the options I had with no success . I went online and got phone numbers for shelters and sanctuaries in Ohio. Because of the new, cruel "law" on the books in Ohio, all the shelters are to capacity. I've called all of them anyway to see if there was a possibility of even fostering Freddy and Puddy until a home can be found. For the first time in my life I groveled. No can do.

If anyone has any other suggestions on what else I can try, other than taking them in myself, since I have 7 cats already and am in the middle of moving to Michigan, please let me know.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thank you Donna

Donna you are a sweetheart for trying. ~~ Your call gave us all a boost ~Thank You !!! ~ Akron Ohio is a tough place to be for a Cat right now http://www.saveourcats.org/ ~~~~~~~~

Freddy and Puddy Story & Photos at http://www.cathappy.com/Rescue1.htm

A Great Quote

We won't always know whose lives we touched and made better for our having cared, because actions can sometimes have unforeseen ramifications. What's important is that you do care and you act.

-- Charlotte Lunsford

Thanks Eric! It was great talking to you last night.

I have one more idea though. How about contacting one of the newspapers in the Akron area about doing a story on Freddy and Puddy's plight. As a matter of fact...since I work at a newspaper myself, I'll see what I can do from my end. The only thing I'll need is a contact person. I think if we put their story in the local area Akron newspaper, someone will come forward and offer them a forever home.

I'm on a roll again!! I love a challenge!!!

I'm too far away to do anything but offer lots of prayers and hope. But best of luck to the two babies. Keep us posted.

Logan