Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sask Bible camp counsellor facing heat for roasting squirrel in front of kids

Sask Bible camp counsellor facing heat for roasting squirrel in front of kids

Sask Bible camp counsellor facing heat for roasting squirrel in front of kids

1 hour, 29 minutes ago

CHRISTOPHER LAKE, Sask. (CP) - A counsellor at a northern Saskatchewan Bible camp is feeling the heat for killing and roasting a squirrel over a campfire.

The bushy-tailed rodent was injured after the counsellor at Camp Kadesh threw a stick in its direction.

Camp director Curtis Anderson says the man destroyed the injured animal and wanted to prove that nothing should go to waste by skinning and roasting it.

A few counsellors ate some of the squirrel, although none of the 120 children at the camp had any.

But two parents were outraged and called the camp demanding that the veteran counsellor be fired.

Anderson admits the counsellor made a mistake, but after checking with the RCMP and the SPCA, it was determined he did nothing illegal.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I don't see what the big hullabaloo is about.

Perhaps he shouldn't have been throwing sticks but putting an injured animal out of it's misery and then not putting it to waste can be a good lesson. Not to mention that squirrel can be a good meal in a survival situation. I think it would be far worse if he were to just let the animal suffer in front of the children. Instead I think it was turned into a good lesson on how to use what nature provides you and NOT to waste.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I roasted a squirrel once.

He got offended when I startes to do the jokes about hiding his nuts - then he left without paying his bar tab.

Ba dump.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1

The bushy-tailed rodent was injured after the counsellor at Camp Kadesh threw a stick in its direction.

Camp director Curtis Anderson says the man destroyed the injured animal and wanted to prove that nothing should go to waste by skinning and roasting it.

The animal wouldn't have been dead if the guy didn't kill it. I don't believe
    it was an accident. I'm glad the children refused to eat it.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I think if they found the squirrel ALREADY dead.. go ahead eat it.. get your rabies shots first!

But for him to kill the squirrel.. omg! eew!

I would never eat it

Gross. Tactless, and to think, this is 'bible' camp.

This wasn't some survival of the fittest on a remote island, learning life sustaining skills. It was BIBLE camp.

It is counselors like this that make me wonder WHY they are around children.

My question is, what the heck was he doing throwing the sticks at the squirrel anyway?

My kids would have come unglued, I can't even imagine a counseller doing something like that.

Just because they might have chicken for dinner doesn't mean you want your kid to see a chicken killed and cooked. what an idiot.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19
    I don't see what the big hullabaloo is about.

Perhaps he shouldn't have been throwing sticks but putting an injured animal out of it's misery and then not putting it to waste can be a good lesson. Not to mention that squirrel can be a good meal in a survival situation. I think it would be far worse if he were to just let the animal suffer in front of the children. Instead I think it was turned into a good lesson on how to use what nature provides you and NOT to waste.
    I agree. I do agree that it was WRONG of him to throw sticks at any wild animal in the first place, but you must also remember... when it comes to animals, people are so quick to throw around the word "destroyed", making it sound like the animal died in such a terrible, horrible way. Dogs are "destroyed" after attacks, but they aren't ripped to pieces or bludgeoned to death. Now obviously this squirrel wasn't euthanized but perhaps the word is just... overkill for what really happened.

In any chance, at least they didn't waste, so his death wasn't in complete vain.

I mean, I don't know, what were the ages of the children? I still have mixed feelings on this. I don't see the situation itself as necessarily wrong, but I think it could have gone about differently (not doing it in front of young children, etc).

facebook

I guess I don't really see it that way, since it was bible camp maybe they could have buried it and said a prayer.

I have been frosted!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see what the big deal is....He threw a stick at it...maybe on purpose, maybe on accident...but at that point it was injured and putting it out of its misery was humane. Might as well put it to use since they were CAMPING.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I love camping I guess I just don't view squirrels as food. Don't think I could bring myself to eat it.

I have been frosted!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom
    I guess I don't really see it that way, since it was bible camp maybe they could have buried it and said a prayer.
    Well maybe they said grace before eating it !!!!!
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    Well maybe they said grace before eating it !!!!!
    Wom
    Oh Wom!

Personally I would have to know more before commenting. I think the problem I have is how the squirrel got that injured from a stick and why the stick was thrown. As far as putting it out of its misery, I think that was in order. Eating it? Well, I couldn't, but then I wouldn't eat anything that couldn't be bought in a grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see what the big deal is....He threw a stick at it...maybe on purpose, maybe on accident...but at that point it was injured and putting it out of its misery was humane. Might as well put it to use since they were CAMPING.

I don't see how one squirrel could feed 120 kids plus camp counselors. I still think it was wrong from the get go.This wasn't
    a survivors camping trip for adults, it was a Bible camp for kids,for crying
    out loud.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt