My request to Tim (in part) >>>

"We're suggesting this group be located near the southern end of the
    center dividing fence, so that both trees can be "used" when
    either side of the area is closed off for grass renewal. The bench or
    picnic table could be moved to either side of the fence as
    appropriate, and still be "in the shade" of the trees. The "southern tree"
    could be planted on the west side of the fence and beside the Time-Out
    Pen - offering shade to the pen. The "northern tree" could be on the west
    side of the fence and a suitable distance further north.

The Humans seem to "gather" in this area - and two more trees will be the
    start of a nice "grove" of shade trees ... it does get "warm" out in the open."

Tim quickly replied with >>>

"Memorials are always welcome and can fit in nicely. Trees, benches and picnic tables work well for the dog park, we would like to add more. Collect funds and write a check to the Hancock Parks Foundation; identify what you would like and the names to go on memorial plates. Perhaps we can add some other funds to your gift for bigger trees. I’ll get with area manager, Kim Wickman, out there to start the planning. We’ll pick trees and plant this fall. Other items can be ordered or built anytime."

Soooo ... The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove Fund is hereby "opened"
    and donations / pledges are being accepted.

We'll try to collect enough to fully fund Two Nice Trees and a Good Quality Picnic Table,
    along with suitable Plaques on the fence.

I'll kick it off with a $100.00 pledge for now ... I might have to toss a lil more towards Sherman's Tree.

I'll take on the task of "Banker" - but PLEASE follow these suggestions:

* PM "Cinder & Smoke" (not Phred) if you don't know my snail-mail address ...
    * zippy-kat, shais_mom, and Karen also know it
    * my address hasn't changed for 25 years ... "Phred" works if you don't know my other name
    * the house # begins with a 1 and ends with a 1
    * the 5-digit Zippy Code ENDS with --401
    * Make ALL Checks, Money Orders, and other forms of payment out to Hancock Parks Foundation (NOT me!)
    * PLEASE: Include a slip of paper with your Pet Talk UserName, your *Real* Name, Mail Address & E-mail
    * I'd rather not use PayPal - but I do have an account and you CAN use it if that's easier for you.
    * I'll batch up the donations and send them to Parks in bundles, with a Donor Summary Sheet.
    * NO RUSH - we won't need to send the Donations till Fall Planting Time
    * I don't think we'll be "planted" before Labor Day ... trees like to "move" in cooler weather.

Any Questions, Suggestions, or Concerns ~~~ Post away.

Last edited by Cinder & Smoke; 08-02-2007 at 10:49 AM.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Sounds like a lovely idea, especially as both Sherman and Bowser liked the park!

I think it's a great idea. I'll start saving up now.Do you have an idea how much we will need in total?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Maybe we sould give some background on this Memorial Project ...

It started with this post by Pat (aka cyber-sibes) >>>

Our new dogpark
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=131281

We finally got Star's tags and took her to the local Newport, RI, Dogpark ... It's not much to look at, just an area fenced off (only 4' fencing in some places) and filled with mulch. People bring jugs of water. There are about 3 benches. No trees.
    -----------------------------
    NO Trees?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    Pat, maybe some of you that frequent the dog park could get together
    and get a few little trees planted.

How's about a "Sherman Memorial Tree & Bench - Eastern"??
    We'll offer the First Pledge - Sign us up!
    -----------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke

Just happen to have a number >>> He was out when I called.

by cyber-sibes >>>
    I just got off the phone with Scott, and he said his phone & internet service have been out for two days, sorry he didn't get back to ya, Phred, but he couldn't! Now he's way behind, so I told him I would fill you in.
    Here's the deal - the location of the dogpark is actually temporary. The Parks Dept. doesn't own the land, and it is slated to be demolished whenever the State gets around to building that new off-ramp from the highway there. He said he'd feel really bad if it got bulldozed under after only a couple years.
    JoJoe & I are renting right now, and when we get our own place, we will buy a tree & plant it, but that may be a year or two away.

May I make a suggestion? I love the idea of having a tree dedicated to Sherman, and personally I think it would be nice if it got planted in the Findlay dogpark near the PT bench & trees...after all, that's where Sherman spent many, many happy hours. I assume PT pic-nics will continue to be held there, many of his friends would get to see the tree, remember him, and enjoy some shade. What do you think?
    -----------------------------------------
    by Phred >>>
    Well ... ... It'd be nice if YOU & JoJoe could see the Memorial Tree;
    but I could live with the Sherman Tree being in Findlay.

Gotta wonder if Mr. Timmy would "approve" another "challenge to mowing" inside the Park!
    I can float the idea past him and see what he says ... haven't *bothered* him for Months!

Wonder if Sherman would mind sharing His Tree with the Lil Short Guy wiffa Fluffie Tail? (Bowser)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Which leads up to Hancock Parks Director Tim's OK of the Project today >>>

"Memorials are always welcome and can fit in nicely. Trees, benches and picnic tables work well for the dog park, we would like to add more. Collect funds and write a check to the Hancock Parks Foundation; identify what you would like and the names to go on memorial plates. Perhaps we can add some other funds to your gift for bigger trees. I’ll get with area manager, Kim Wickman, out there to start the planning. We’ll pick trees and plant this fall. Other items can be ordered or built anytime."
    /s/ Hancock County Parks Director Tim B. on 8/01/2007

The next step is ours - we need Donations ...
    re-read Post #1.

THANKS for your Participation!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Do you have an idea how much we will need in total?
    In the Spring of 2004, we PTers contributed $665.00 to the Hancock Parks Foundation
    to fund Two Red Maple Trees and a heavy-duty Park Bench.

I'm certain there were "funds left over" - which were to be used for
    DOG PARK Improvements.

I'd estimate we need about $500.00 to do Two more Trees and a more expensive Picnic Table.

I've requested an "estimate" from Director Tim ...
    and suggest we NOT hold our breath awaiting said "estimate".

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke

Any Questions, Suggestions, or Concerns ~~~ Post away.

I don't want to offend anyone but I do have concerns and a suggestion. First of all I would like to suggest that our beloved Angus be a part of this memorial also. Angus was and still is a HUGE part of Pet Talk. I would like to see him have a tree, plaque, bench or something in his memory also. Anna and her gang were one of the original Findlay Gatherers and I feel it is only right that Angus should be included. I have felt this way for a long time but I am not one who likes to take charge and cause any problems. After seeing this new thread though I feel it is time for me to speak up. Some type of memorial is way past due for our beloved Angus.

I absolutely adored Sherman and Bowser and was heartbroken when we lost them both. My concern is that I'm not for sure if the Memorial should be in thier names only. I think it would be more proper to call it the Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove Fund or something to that effect. That way all of our beloved dogs can be honored. I consider myself a regular Pet Talk Findlay Gatherer and I know that if something were to happen to either of my girls that I would also want to have some type of memorial for them. Nothing would please me more than to have my girls remembered and I know we all feel this way.

I really hope I am not offending anyone and if I am speaking out of line than feel free to say so. This is my suggestion and concern and I felt like I needed to voice it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee
    I think it would be more proper to call it the Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove Fund or something to that effect.
    What a lovely idea - maybe a plaque that can have names added on an ongoing basis (thinking something like companies use for employees of the month - the plates unscrew from the plaque and are then taken to be engraved and then reinserted). Then the fund can plant a tree for each memorial. I was only able to go to Findlay a couple of times, but would be thrilled to donate to a PT Rainbow Bridge memorial.

Count us in!
    Robin, I think it is a good idea to include Angus as well. I know we had talked about doing something when he crossed the bridge, but I'm not sure the idea ever got off the ground. I think now is a great time to remember him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RobiLee

I would like to suggest that our beloved Angus be a part of this memorial also.
    Some type of memorial is way past due for our beloved Angus.

I think it would be more proper to call it "The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove".

That way all of our beloved dogs can be honored.
    I have No Problem either adding a Third Tree in Angus' memory;
    or dropping the individual names and going with "The Pet Talk Memorial Picnic Grove".

Only a few folks know this, but I have tried for years to convince "Park Management" that
    we'd like to have a Covered Pavilion inside the Park - a miniature version of
    the #7 Picnic Pavilion.
    I porposed that Pet Talk be the primary sponsor, and feature our Angus as the
    First Dog being memorialized. Then we'd mount a large Memorial Plaque and sell
    Memorial Name Plates to add to the Plaque. (Similar to what Hospitals do to fund a new wing.)

I've heard every excuse in the book for why it hasn't happened yet; the
    most sugnificant probably being the HIGH Cost (many Thousands of dollars)
    to hire an architect, design it to code, then bid the work out to contractors.

Till there's a change in Park Management, the Park District Operating Tax Levy is renewed,
    and they decide if they're going to add additional Dog Parks in the county ...
    the Angus Memorial Pavilion is a distant dream.

So I'll go along with dropping the Pet Names from the formal title ... and suggest we do a NICE Plaque and allow ANYONE who desires to add an Engraved Plague with
    a loved one's name on it.

/s/ Phred

Thank you for remembering Angus and thank you for being willing to make the name something that could honor all our RB kids.

I know you tried with the Pavilion idea Phred, but some type of plaque type thing would be just as nice. And of course we would be more than willing to donate.

I know they have something like a big bulletin board there

Is there any way possible we could have something like this made? Then any one who wanted a name plate added would be able to.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I'm willing to donate and I think it's a wonderful idea to include Angus.

Quote Originally Posted by anna_66

I know you tried with the Pavilion idea Phred,
    but some type of plaque type thing would be just as nice.

I know they have something like a big bulletin board there...
    Is there any way possible we could have something like that made?

Then any one who wanted a name plate added would be able to.
    I'm sure we can design a Memorial Plaque DISPLAY BOARD that could attach to the
    Center Divider Fence near the Picnic Table and Trees. That board would then have the
    Individual Remembrance Plaques screwed to it.

We'll have to locate a local trophy shop that can handle creating the basic Display Board and individual Plaques; then work out a pricing policy that the Park can live with. Price (or amount of donation) should be reflected in either the SIZE of the individual plaque, or the placement of the plaque on the board.

Making the whole thing WEATHER PROOF is going to be another challenge.

Parks *Estimate* of Memorial Picnic Grove COSTS

I just received this e-mail from Director Tim at Hanckok County Parks >>>

Hi John ~
    Trees can be $100 – 250 each (planting by us).
    Picnic tables - $300 – 650 each depending on style, materials.

Benches – we make our own so lumber w/ stainless bolts are about $125

Whatever you collect, we’ll upgrade that to get something nice.

/s/ Tim B., Director
    Hancock Park District
    ----------------------------------------------------------

ESTIMATED Totals for Two Trees and a Picnic Table:

The Low End would be about $500.00 PLUS the cost of the Memorial Sign Board.

High End stuff would be about $1,150.00 PLUS the cost of the Memorial Sign Board.

I'd guestimate the cost to build a Weather Proof, Outdoor Memorial board,
    with Initial Dedication Plaques and a supply of blank plaques could easily reach $500.00, or More.

Who's Interested?

A number of fund raising projects around here have used bricks which are engraved with the name of the person/animal being remembered and dates, etc. Then these bricks are laid in a path or court yard area. Still it takes someone in charge willing to organize and facilitate, which is obviously the problem involved in any effort.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

When the first "memorial" was being collected I sent some $$ (Binx was very near and dear to my heart) but my Cheekie one had just died too and I mentioned I was contributing for her as well. I think that is when Phred added something about "all our beloved pets" or however it's worded on the current bench. Count me in this time and I would be contributing for my Badger, Collar and Thunder even if just in my heart. Wonderful idea.
    ~ at least I'm not...