Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: San Francisco Pet Rental Service Provides Part-Time Pet Ownership

Editorial from today's Chicago Tribune on pet rental

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,4845024.story
    chicagotribune.com
    Editorial

Too much puppy ciao

August 13, 2007

The perfect dog for busy urbanites will sit, fetch and roll over -- but won't stay. At least, not for long. That's the idea behind FlexPetz, a new California rent-a-dog service that provides doggies on demand, for a fee. If a challenging job or heartless landlord deprives you of canine companionship, you can borrow a dog for the afternoon or weekend. It's just the thing for when the grandkids are in town or after a nasty spat with your significant other.

Dog lovers who pay the annual fee, monthly fee and daily rental charges soon will be entitled to use their membership privileges at a dozen or more branches worldwide, sort of like belonging to Bally's or Blockbuster.

We wouldn't want to deny anyone a warm-and-fuzzy fix, but we're pretty sure Fido would say this idea really bites.

The last thing Fido wants, after a joyous frolic at the beach or a long hike through the forest preserve, is for his new best friend to pass the leash to a stranger.

Lifelong attachment is what the person-dog dynamic is all about. It's not just a Saturday afternoon romp in the park, it's the every-single-day predawn potty trot around the block. It's spending a vacation day at the vet because your four-legged friend swallowed a sock. It's remaining faithful through the late-life problems like hip dysplasia and middle-of-the-night incontinence.

If you're not up for all of that but still long for a pooch, save your money and volunteer at a shelter or talk to your local rescue group about fostering a pup that's waiting for a permanent home. Or borrow the mutt next door for your morning jog.

Anyone who has been in a relationship with a partner who can't commit knows what it's like to be checked in and out like a library book. That's no way to treat a date -- or a dog.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I read that this morning too. I thought that's exactly how I wish I
    could have expressed myself. I agree with it completely.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

At first I thought it was a good idea as a way for people who were thinking of adopting to see if they were reallly up for the committment....but this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    I'm thinking it would encourage the disposable pet syndrome that is already so prevailent in our society. Pets are a lifetime care just like kids, I don't see too many 'rent a kid' places going for the childless couples do you?
    changed my mind. What about the kids that get these dogs-for-a-day? What does that teach them about responsibility? You only have to care for an animal when you're in the mood? I hate to think a new generation is raised thinking they can just take the dog back and be done with it / leave the responsibilites to someone else.