Thread: Grooming Question

Grooming Question

I wonder if anyone could help with this......
    Honey does pretty good when I go to brush her, but she just will not let me brush her tail. She just freaks out. I've been trying to brush her a little every day, and she's getting better about it, but I just can't get her tail! I've tried to give her small bites of food and tried to get her tail at the same time and she will just go around in circles. Is there anyway to get her to trust me with her tail? I know Keisha never did like that part of brushing either, but we started it when she was small, so she would let us (unwillingly of course!)
    I know it will get very knotted up an yucky, so I need to stay on top of it, but I'm kinda frustrated and don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks Anna

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

It sounds like you're doing everything right, its just going to be a gradual process. Try using her FAVORITE treat in the world and only use it while you're doing tail exercises with her. Don't give that certain thing to her any other time of day. Find out where her comfort zone is (the last spot you can touch before she freaks) and work from there. Keep feeding her treats and touching her at the border of her comfort zone several times a day. Every couple days, try to push the limits of that comfort zone. Don't try too much at once or you may have to start over.

Good luck!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I never had grooming trouble with my dogs, until I had the dog I have now, and boy, has he given me trouble, especially round the rear end. And I`ve had him since he was six weeks old!! I have to muzzle him (although he doesn`t bite but `mouths`I still won`t take a chance) and nearly sit on him, its so much hard work. And, no matter how sneaky I am he knows when its happening, had to block doorways, lock him OUT of his crate and IN the room! Anyway, a couple of weeks back I read/heard somewhere that grooming at a different time and/or place might help, so I tried it and it has helped a lot. He watches me get the stuff out, and of course the cheese (his favourite), but instead of hiding he stays where he is and sometimes comes to me before I call. I still muzzle him just in case but he doesn`t fight me very often. So, just to say again, grooming at a different time and/or place with lots of breaks for favourite treat, worked, and is still working, for me. Good Luck

I have also found that putting the dog on a table (with a rubber bath mat) seems to help. Even a low one like a coffee table is better than the floor or ground. It's sort of intimidating for them so they 'freeze'. Eventually they know what they are up there for.

Most dogs don't like their tails brushed. When I groom, I try to comb only the hair without scraping the skin.

Mary