Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12 yr old so obessesed with vacuums, he has 165.

12 yr old so obessesed with vacuums, he has 165.

Before my dad called me downstairs, and on the news there was a 12 yr old boy who was obessesed with vacuums. He said that it was better than "everything", and he has 165 everywhere in the house but his sister room. Here the story i found online- click for story

I found it really funny, and kind of scary that he thinks vacuums are better than anything.

I'm guessing he has some degree of autism, perhaps Asperger's, or at least OCD! And really indulgent or really wealthy parents, that they have enough room for 165 vacuum cleaners, AND let him collect them.

I know that they are 2 diffrent things, but here in Haines Alaska we have the worlds only Hammer Museum. There is a man named Dave who is obssesed with Hammers (he is pretty normal guy other then his love for hammers). He has over 5000 of them, it's crazy! I think some people love things that other people can't understand, I surly could not love hammer or vaccums so much that I collect hundreds of them.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I agree he must have a form of OCD or Autism.

I wonder if I can rent him to come vacuum for me? My house would be absolute heaven for him.

A couple years ago, there was an artice in Car and Driver about a boy who loved hearses, had a hearse collection. He had Asperger's, so I totally agree with Karen that this guy might.

I have an obsession with dogs... I would certainly "collect" them if I had the means, hehehe.

But that doesn't seem so out-of-the ordinary, people collect things all the time. I do think it's an odd thing to collect, but then again, most people's "collections" are odd to me (like hammers or empty soda cans.. hehe).

facebook

Well I hope he realizes his dream and invents that soundless vaccum, my cats would love him and probibly throw a parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    (like hammers or empty soda cans.. hehe).
    instead of the empty soda cans i collect those top things for when you open the soda can to drink.

that is quite interesting about that he collects vacuums. never heard about that before.
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

People collect all kinds of things and his house will most likely be the cleanist house in town. I don't think it's that odd.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Wow, that's weird.

I don't think the fact that he collects them is werid, but like the fact vacuuming is his favorite thing to do and he prefers it over "everything".

Quick to Judge?

Exactly where do you practice medicine? Only a licensed, registered physician/psychiatrist would think to suggest or imply that this child may have a diagnosis of autism, Asperger's, or OCD. The mere idea of judging any one's mental status based on a short televised interview is appalling. My grand-nephew, who recently turned 5, is considered "gifted"; he tests out at a third grade level. The love(s) of his life are vacuum cleaners and have been since he took his first steps. Yes, he does have some assorted vacuums (not as large a collection as this story's owner). His parents are neither indulgent nor rich, just plain people who love their son enough to accept his choice of toys, albeit vacuums, at this point in his life. Some may consider the amount of cash spent to purchase an old vacuum (as much as $5.00 at a yard sale) far too extravagant, LOL. Also, those family members, friends, and neighbors who need to replace their old models will make his day by gifting him theirs. While other children may have a library of movies, computer games, action figures, or collections of some sort, the thought would never cross my mind to slap an autistic or OCD label on them. My grand-nephew also loves the outdoors, his pets, playing basketball, baseball, tennis, and golf. He also memorizes manufacturers and model types of automobiles because it's "fun"! For whatever reason, his toy of choice is a vacuum and, I must say, his standards for cleaning carpets are "white glove"! I see there are other posters who agree with your surmission. My heart is saddened by those whose energy is expended embracing a negative attitude rather than choosing the positive. My son is also gifted. I, on the other hand, am certainly not, but we both have a diagnosis of OCD! I don't believe we exhibit any seemingly abnormal "characteristics" or "quirky" traits as you would suggest, but, then again, after reading your derogatory comments, diagnoses of depression may be apropos.

Quote Originally Posted by Almita

instead of the empty soda cans i collect those top things for when you open the soda can to drink.

that is quite interesting about that he collects vacuums. never heard about that before.
    Soda tabs? We collect them too, but not because we find them interesting. Our sister's school collects them then turns them in to be recycled and donates the money to the children's hospital.

facebook

I wouldn't call wondering if someone has Autism or Asperger's derogatory! Both are just part of who a person is. A dear friend of mine's son has Asperger's - as a small child his obsession was "yellow flowers" a.k.a. dandelions to you and me. The child in the original story's "intense interest" in vacuum cleaners reminded me of him. I like dandelions, I just don't need to posess every one I see, as did my friend's son. I was interested in "neat rocks" when I was a child (okay, still am), but even though they were "free" ... my parents (wisely) limited the number I could take home from any particular trip to the beach for example, so their home didn't fill up with them, and I was okay with that.

I saw this boy on TV. I think it was Oprah.he was showing people the
    right way to vacumn effectively. Believe it or not, but I think about his
    method whenever I sweep.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt