Thread: you might be an 80s child if.....

you might be an 80s child if.....

-You wanted to be on Star Search. (Didn't we all?)
    -You can remember what Michael Jackson looked like before his nose fell off. Or even when he had those freaky eyes in "Thriller" at the end of the video.
    -You wore a banana clip or one of those slap on wrist bands at some point during your youth.
    -You can remember watching Full House and Saved by the Bell for endless hours.
    -You have seen at least 10 episodes of Fraggle Rock.
    -You'll always hold a special place in your heart for "Back to the Future."
    -You know where to go if you "wanna go where everybody knows your name."
    -You thought Molly Ringwald was REALLY cool. (Was there an 80's movie she WASN'T in?)
    -You fell victim to 80's fashion: big hair, crimped, combed over to the side, and you wore spandex pants.
    -You wanted to be a Goonie ("Goonies never say die.")
    -You ever wore fluorescent—neon if you will—clothing...
    -You know, by heart, the words to any "Weird" Al Yankovic song.
    -You remember when ATARI was a state-of-the-art video gaming system.
    -You own any cassettes or albums.
    -You remember and/or own any of the Care Bear glass collection from Pizza Hut.
    -"Poltergeist" totally freaked you out.
    -You carried your lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunchbox.
    -You have ever pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.
    -You wore biker shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish.
    -You ever had a Swatch Watch.
    -You had a crush on one of the Coreys (Haim or Feldman).
    -You have worn a Banana Clip, or knew someone who did.
    -You have heard of "Garbage Pail Kids" (and perhaps still have a collection of them).
    -Extra point You have seen the Garbage Pail Kids TV show. (Only one episode was aired.)
    -You wanted to be The Hulk or Rainbow Brite for Halloween.
    -You remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV.
    -You've recently horrified yourself by using any one of the following phrases:
    "When I was younger"
    "When I was your age"
    "You know, back when..."
    "Because I SAID so, that's why"
    "What the HECK is this noise on the radio?"
    "Just can't (fill in the blank) like I used to"
    -Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language.
    -You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video.
    -"Celebration" by Kool & the Gang was one of the hot new songs when you first heard it at a school dance.
    -You ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons.
    -Your hair, at some point in time in the 80's, became something which can only be described by the phrase "I was experimenting."
    -You had a crush on Jon Bon Jovi, or knew someone who did.
    -You actually know who Rick Springfield is

Well that puts me out of that one....I was in my 30's then
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

Yes to pretty much all of those.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Ooooh, yeah. I must admit the following crimes. I had REALLY big hair. It was da bomb. And I STILL have a crush on Jon Bon Jovi!

-You wore a banana clip or one of those slap on wrist bands at some point during your youth.-You fell victim to 80's fashion: big hair, crimped, combed over to the side, and you wore spandex pants.
    -You ever wore fluorescent—neon if you will—clothing...
    -You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video.
    -You ever owned one of those embarrassing crimping irons.
    -Your hair, at some point in time in the 80's, became something which can only be described by the phrase "I was experimenting."
    -You had a crush on Jon Bon Jovi, or knew someone who did.
    -You actually know who Rick Springfield is
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wow that's me.....I even remember being so upset when the slap bracelets were banned from my school. And of course I crimped my hair, and my bangs were so high I think they touched the ceiling. Boy, I remember almost every single one of those......

Guilty to all of the above except Yackoniv (sp) songs - how sad am I so I am definitely an eighties child BUT PROUD OF IT..........
    jackmilliesmom

Thanks to Michelle (Kittycats_Delight) for my wonderful
    cheerful and special signature and avatar!!!!!!

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

I was born in '82, so I'm an 80s/90s kid. I remember so much of that. Justin still has a set of Garbage Pail Kids trading cards.

Yesterday I actually said "kids these days..."
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

I was growing up through the 80s and 90s so I can remember all those things from the 80s and 90s

I went from age 15 to 24 during the '80s - does that count?

-You own any cassettes or albums. (BOTH!)
    -You ever had a Swatch Watch. (Check. WITH the requisite accessories.)
    -You have worn a Banana Clip, or knew someone who did. (I did.)
    -You remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV. (Would MTV exist without "Friday Night Videos"?)
    -Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you actually learned the English language. (Not only the English language, but math, history, and civics as well!)
    -You ever dressed to emulate a person you saw in either a Duran Duran, Madonna, or Cyndi Lauper video. (Not intentionally - but when I look back now at pictures taken during those years - OUCH!)
    -You actually know who Rick Springfield is. (Oh, my gosh! I LOVE Rick Springfield! He played a doctor on "General Hospital" when I was in high school AND he was a rock 'n' roll star. The scary part is - he gave a concert in Chicago recently and the audience was mostly women my age!)

Starched my polo-shirt collars to death, and wore them flipped up. No starch at hand? Hair spray. (YUCK! Did I really do that?!) Shoulder pads the size of pillows. Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Nothing comes between me and my Calvin's.

There was a PBS show recently, a retrospective about "The Electric Company" and the whole way through, I was thinking I remember that bit, I remember that character, I remember that song... I was a total "Electric Company" kid. I hope it's on again soon.

BOY, AM I GETTING OLD!!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

All very true! and funny!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Starched my polo-shirt collars to death, and wore them flipped up. No starch at hand? Hair spray. (YUCK! Did I really do that?!) Shoulder pads the size of pillows. Gloria Vanderbilt jeans. Nothing comes between me and my Calvin's.

There was a PBS show recently, a retrospective about "The Electric Company" and the whole way through, I was thinking I remember that bit, I remember that character, I remember that song... I was a total "Electric Company" kid. I hope it's on again soon.

BOY, AM I GETTING OLD!!
    Oh, that's hilarious, I remember doing that, too. Preferably, two polo shirts layered, and BOTH collars starched up. LOL

I LOVED Electric Company! My husband and I were talking about that show just the other day.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien