Thread: What's in your Grooming Kit?

What's in your Grooming Kit?

The fur is flying this summer and it gave me the idea for this thread....

Make a list and/or take a photo of your doggie grooming kit.

Here's Kirk's grooming supplies (minus all the bathing stuff):

-Ear Cleaner ( cotton balls not pictured )
    -Doggie Toothpaste
    -Leave-in Detangler/Conditioner (LOVE THIS!)
    -Electric Clippers (for feet and leg hair)
    -Toothbrush
    -Basic Flea Comb
    -Small Slicker Brush
    -Scissor-style Nail Clippers (I prefer this type to guillotine-style)
    -Kwik-Stop

Kirk is my first long-haired dog, and so there has been a bit of a learning curve with the whole grooming aspect. For instance, I had to learn about using a conditioner spray whenever I brush his coat dry in order to prevent hair breakage. I was also initially intimidated by slicker brushes and worried about hurting him.

I got the electric clippers very recently. I just bought the regular hooman kind for about $15. They work fine for the small amount of trimming I do. I am surprised at how unfazed Kirk is by them! I might be able to dremel his nails in the future after all....

I need to purchase some larger brushes and/or combs because full-body grooming takes too long with what I have now. I am considering saving up and going with high-end Chris Christensen brushes and combs (link). Does anyone have any experience with these? They were recommended to me. I figure they would last me forever! I'm already in love with their "Ice on Ice" detangler (link) and would recommend it to anyone (a little goes a long way)!

I am looking into getting a tooth scaler soon. I also have some OraVet gel and should probably should start using that on him more regularly.

So, what's in your dog's grooming kit? Feel free to include post-grooming beautified doggie pics too!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

My house is under renovations and is a complete disaster at the moment, so I can't take a picture of all my stuff as I don't kow where it all is right now, but I'll make a list anyway!

I have the following:
    - Thinning shears
    - Regular scissors
    - Metal combination comb (wide teeth on one end, narrow on the other)
    - Fine toothed comb
    - Pin brush
    - Slicker brush (though I never use it really)
    - Mars Coat King
    - Stripping "knives"
    - Shedding blade
    - Zoom Groom
    - Hound glove
    - Hair clipper
    - Shampoo & Conditioner of sorts
    - Water/conditioner spray (nothing fancy, just my own mixture that works well)
    - Nail clippers (though we take them to a friend to dremel more often than I clip their nails)
    - Tooth scaler

I'm sure there is more. For ear cleaner I just use rubbing alcohol as it seems to work just as well as that Vet Solution stuff you have pictured (though it doesn't smell as nice). My poor dogs, all having to live with grooming obsessed me, lol. Maybe I'll try to get some pictures later if I can find half of my things.

Combs, combs, and more combs of various width of teeth. I also have some where the teeth rotate. Then I have two kinds of matt cutters. The kind I like the best, I haven't been able to find anymore. It is similar to the little device one uses to open an envelope with. I think the reason I can't find them is that they were very inexpensive and obviously not a money maker.
    Last edited by Rachel; 07-25-2007 at 02:04 PM.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

-2 finishing sprays
    -tea tree oil balm
    -slicker bush
    -rubber slicker brush
    -two sided grooming mitt
    -curry comb
    -flea comb
    -wide tooth comb
    -fine tooth comb
    -pin brush
    -thinning shears
    -hair cutting scissors
    -clippers
    -hair dryer
    -guillotine nail clippers
    -scissor nail clippers
    -nail file
    -colour enhansing shampoo(for Leck)
    -all purpose notanial shampoo(for the rest)
    -styptic powder
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I took thease pictures a couple months ago, when I was asking buttercup132 what brushes I should use.

I also have many types of shampoos, conditioners, and teeth care stuff.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

-2 kinds of brushes
    -toothbrush
    -nail clippers (scissor and guillotine)
    -Styptic powder
    -ear cleaner
    -shampoo

I also have an electric clipper but Jasper doesn't need it so it's collecting dust.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I have a mess of brushes, shampoo, and combs, etc. But out of all my grooming tools, I could not live without my DREMEL!

Since I'm a groomer I have a ton of stuff at work...some mine, some store use. I don't have any dog shampoo at home, I always wash the dogs at work. At home all I have is a few slicker brushes, an undercoat rake, "The Stuff" conditioning spray, toothbrush/toothpaste/scaler, nail clippers, and styptic powder. At work I have clippers (and lots of blades), shears/scissors (2 curved, 2 straight, 1 long curved,), thinning shears, 3 sizes of nail clippers, "The Stuff", at least 10 different dog perfumes/cologne, bandanas/bows, several slicker brushes, regular undercoat rake, heavy duty undercoat rake, coat king, dematting tools, fine tooth metal combs, shedding blade, 2 rubber curry brushes...and I'm sure there's more I can't remember, I haven't been at work since last Thursday. I also have detangling sprays, ear cleaner/powder, clipper cool, shampoo/conditioner, and various other things that the store buys and I can use. If I ever quit my job I'll be buying a force dryer too, it works very well to blow out the loose undercoat from two siberian shedders, err, huskies.

I'm ready to do some grooming this morning so I thought I'd get a picture of all of our stuff (the picture is somewhat blurry)
    • shampoo
    • conditioner
    • bag balm
    • three different type of ear cleaner
    • ear medicine-from when Bon had an ear infection
    • toothpaste and toothbrush-which I never use any more because they don't need it now that they're eating raw
    • 2 types of nail clippers
    • 3 different types of scissors
    • 2 combs
    • 8 different brushes
    • bug spray
    • spray on/wipe off shampoo
    • a tie up in case I need someone to be extra still
    • and a clicker...just don't know what to do with it so it ended up in their grooming box

I still want to get a high force dryer, just can't bring myself to spend the money on it! And of course I would need a table too
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

What grooming kit?

Here's mine. I have more in there but this is what I use. I should really clean the other stuff out.

Ripley was checking it all out so I told him to sit. Please excuse his appearance. He was bathed today and has been air drying.

P.S. The grooming apron was bought for me by a few of my wonderful PT friends for my birthday a couple of years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0090.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	671.9 KB 
ID:	36707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0091.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	691.7 KB 
ID:	36708  

Pam, on June 10, 2005, you started a thread asking opinions about clippers. Did you ever buy a new set?

No Joan. These are the same clippers. I bought several new blades though. One of these days I will make a decision as to go with Oster again or Andis. I believe the Andis blades and Oster blades are all interchangeable so I should just go ahead and do it. I asked hubby to give me his opinion and he never did so I dropped the idea.