Thread: Hot spots

Hybrid View

Hot spots

When I had the 2 foster bichons last week, I received some info from another foster volunteer and thought I'd pass it along.

Buddy had sores on his front legs. He chews and nibbles them raw. The prior owner would put Bacitracin on and wrap in ACE bandages. Here is the info another person passed along:

I have a suggestion for the Chubby Guy who chews on his front legs. I have a diabetic pup, who goes through bouts of chewing on her legs until they are raw. Usually, Neosporin works, I put gauze around the legs and put Bandguard on the guaze so she won't try to chew on the bandage. That didn't work this time. So I went another route. I started putting canned Salmon, packing water and all, on her food at meal time, and her legs are clearing up and she has stopped chewing, I think its the Omega 3 in the Salmon that works on the skin and skin problems. the Bactine would aggravate the problem, because it dries the skin. I'm not trying to butt in, I just experienced this problem recently.

Just thought i would post this in case it can help someone.

Also for hot spots..
    Aveno Oatmeal bath.Comes in packets.put a small amount in a bowl add abit of water(to make a thick paste) add to hot spot .Let dry and wipe off with warm rag.This will help dry the hot spot so it goes a way.

My RB Charmin had hot spots and she chewed her paws to the point where she would cause blisters the size of golf balls. My vet tried everything he could think but finally he told me to put her paw in hot water w/Epsom salts. That caused the blister to break and drain and the Epsom salts also helped it to heal. Of course, in the beginning, she fought me but once her paw was in the water, it felt soothing and she relaxed and left it there. Unfortunately, my RB Daisy got hot spots on her chest, abdomen and the top of her head. Not much help there, obviously. She lost the hair there and it never grew back. But the paws are doable. Hope this helps.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Omega-3s can do wonders for allergies, inflammation and skin issues!

An alternative to salmon is sardines. I give my dog 1 water-packed (NOT oil-packed!) sardine (bones and all) once daily. This is another great way to easily provide omega-3s and is preferred by pets over a capsule shoved down their throat! The veterinarian I work for recommends one sardine daily for any and all cats and dogs (with or without skin issues, young or old, etc.).

Great thread!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*