Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are mutts so expensive?

Why are mutts so expensive?

I've been looking at poodle mixes for sale, and they're so expensive!!
    I mean, they're mutts, not purebreads. Have you noticed this too?

People trying to pass them off as "designer" breeds think they can charge extra money. But there are plenty of poodle mixes in shelters for the same price as any shelter pet! Try http://petfinder.org ...

That's what I was thinkging of doing...

Cockapoos are especially bad, some people are asking 750, I got mine for 150 11 years ago

Years ago my family got our Saint Bernard from a breeder who was great. She asked whether this was intended to be a show dog, or a family pet, and when we said "pet!" she lowered the price by several hundred dollars, as that meant we didn't need her to go through the rigamarole of filing AKC papers for her. I wish all breeders would be as conscientious.

Basically, the ignorant people who breed them have created a demand for designer mutts by breeding a cute, shaggy dog, and BS'ing it as better than purebred. I think the reason why they can get away with charging $500 to upwards of a Grand, is that most papered purebreds sell for around and upwards of $1000. So, the breeder tells you that their dog is cuter, healthier, and sheds less than a purebred, and they charge 80% of the price of the purebred. A poorly educated customer would be convinced they are getting a deal.

Well designer dogs seem to be a fad now and people are willing to pay hundreds and even thousands just for a mutt. And for the most part they are poorly bred.
    I'd much rather just for to the local shelter/rescue/SPCA to adopt a mutt that really needs a forever home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootenna
    I've been looking at poodle mixes for sale, and they're so expensive!!
    I mean, they're mutts, not purebreads. Have you noticed this too?
    It's because they are called backyard breeders and just want money and they don't care about the dog's health or anything. if you are looking for a mixed breed dog ADOPT at your nearest shelter or rescue.. don't buy!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

It's one of the biggest fads nowadays. Breeders come up with stories about "hybrid vigor." Theoretically, because most diseases have a recessive link, and you're more likely to pick up on that with a common ancestor, a purebred would be more at risk because it could have that same ancestor in the pedigree -- HOWEVER -- what most people don't realise is that the extreme majority of purebred dogs are not in any way related to eachother for many many generations, and thus can be just as at risk to one disease as mixed breeds are, and not only that, but you are combining the poor genes of one breed to the poor genes of another. Unpredictablity comes in all sorts when breeding mixed breeds, which is one reason there are more mixed breeds in shelters than purebreds -- backyard breeders tell tales about how your goldendoodle will be non-shedding with the coat of a standard poodle -- but when it's 6 months old and it's adult coat is coming in and you realise this is a shedding golden coat, not a non-shedding poodle coat, where does it end up? People say your "labweiller" will look mean like a rottie but have the sweet temperament of a lab, and when you realise it not only look like a rottie but has the temperament of on as well, where does it end up? Today's society is not able to deal with unpredictability. If people want a mixed breed they should go to a shelter or rescue!!
    I've been BOO'd!

That's why I wouldn't even look at mutts anymore, I prefer the type of dogs I call mongrels; such a mix of breeds one can hardly venture a guess as to what it is! Of course when I take those dogs out people like to try to tell me what they think the dogs are mixes of, thinking it's important info I should have.

Best just try a shelter or rescue! That way you aren't giving money to backyard breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by packofchi's
    That's why I wouldn't even look at mutts anymore, I prefer the type of dogs I call mongrels; such a mix of breeds one can hardly venture a guess as to what it is! Of course when I take those dogs out people like to try to tell me what they think the dogs are mixes of, thinking it's important info I should have.
    mutts = mongrels

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

A dog is a dog is a dog. You get the same package regaardless of breed. I think they all should bring in above $300 because people seem to think if they can get it for cheap they don't have to spend money on food or vet care. Yes, a dog is a big monetary responsibility, and I don't feel bad for people who can't afford the purchase price.

On the other hand you are complaining about them getting more money for mutts because they breeding for profit. Who cares. If they couldn't make a profit on mutts, they'd just use purebreds.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

well I feel bad for the dogs who end up in shelters because nobody wants the dogs some idiot bred. who cares? are you serious? I do about the dogs' well-being but you can't save them all.. and it sucks.

Well, it doesn't matter if these profit mongers have purebreds or popular hybrids, they shouldn't be breeding to begin with. There's plenty of purebreds in shelters too.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

exactly.

There are plenty of mutts at the shelter. You could check there.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!