Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill Shelters...Where they go from there (Upsetting)

Kill Shelters...Where they go from there (Upsetting)

I try very hard to post threads that heal, encourage or inspire. But today I was shaken to the core by the front page headline (and accompanying photo) of a major Boston newspaper. Perhaps Karen saw it in the Boston Herald. I was getting ready to leave the market and was glancing down at the newspapers displayed while my food was being bagged. There, in full color, above the fold, was a HUGE photo of a landfill trash heap. What was being shoveled unto that heap were the dead bodies of hundreds of dogs and cats who had been euthanized by the city shelters. They were, after days, weeks, months of suffering, neglect, lonliness euthanized and in no uncertain terms, thrown into the garbage. I had always believed that at least in death, these innocent, helpless, beautiful souls were given a dignified end to their suffering by being cremated, or perhpas (very sadly) buried in large, private graves. This disgusted me like nothing has in recent memory. I couldn't look any more and couldn't bear to read the article because I was so sickenend and upset. When I get the courage, I hope to access their online site to read the details. More than ever, I will fight with every fiber of my being to stop the horror of the kill shelter. How sad that these beautiful innocents must suffer this final, disgraceful, unforgivable indignity. I plan to email/write/call ALL of my local shelters (including the MSPCA who receives yearly donations from our family) and others that euthanize and ask them bluntly, exactly how and WHERE these beautiful creatures are laid to rest! I hope you will too. I am including a link to the article. I still cannot read it. Forgive me if I have upset anyone. I do not mean to shock. Rather, I hope that by an outpouring of outrage by us devoted animal lovers, perhaps we cannot at LEAST stop this horrifying practice. I think it is not even necessary to read the article to act. Just knowing is enough for me. If it is happening in Boston, it is probably happening in a town near you.

http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/lo...ca07242002.htm
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 07-24-2002 at 08:12 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I can't make a joke here.

Sandra, I didn't see it, and am glad I missed it. That's a picture I do NOT need to see.

How awful!

Oh my gosh! How terrible is that?! Geez.. I would've not wanted to see the picture either.. - Rachel
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Sandra~

Unfortunately, I learned this at an all-too early age. My cousin's mother ordered a "SPAY USA" brochure of some sort. I was playin' at my cousins' house and we beat her mom to the mail--we both had nightmares from the photos.

I've always wondered what the vets do when the body is left there. Hopefully, it is much, much more graceful.

Regardless, I think the most important thing to remember is that the spirit has left the body and can no longer feel pain!!

I just learned about this a few weeks ago. Even the no-kill humane society where I used to work sends the bodies to the landfill. (Even though its no-kill, there are still cases where animals are euthanized, mainly for health reasons but some behavioral).

Its sickening. I, too, would like to see them buried with dignity. I will join in the fight in my area to try to make that happen.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

That is beyond grusome. Those poor, poor creatures. And who did this to them???? Irresponsible backyard breeders! Grrrrrrrr!!! Sometimes I hate people.

I have made it my mission to adopt a dog and/or cat on death row at one of our many kill shelters here and foster it once I get my house. I can't do much, but I can save one or two innocents who deserve better, after all the crap they have been through needlessly.

I don't want 3 dogs, but I would love to pick out one who has reached it's limit at the high kill places and save it, give it some training, get it all healthy, and then find someone to adopt it.

I have not yet approched Dan with my idea, but he is absolutely all for rescue, and seeing those heart-wrenching commercials promoting spay/neuter on Animal Planet make us both cry.

Thats so sick!
    And sad
    and mean!
    Animals are not trash!even if they are dead,they should be buried,im sure that those people would want to be buried and not tossed onto some trash pile!
    -Kayla
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

The saddest part is that these innocent animals, after
    living lives of rejection & loneliness, where not even granted
    some shred of dignity in death. God forgive us for treating
    your beautiful creatures this way.

God I HATE the human race. Living things just dumped with the garbage...those people have no soul.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I've seen a photograph like this before and it just broke my heart. I just could not get it out on my mind. It upsets me but at the same angers me so much that these poor souls were not even granted the respect they deserve in death.

I'm not sure what I thought they did with these bodies. I think in my mind, I'd like to think that the bodies were treated with more respect, but when you think about it, these animals have just been killed (many times in less than humane ways in my opinion) due to lack of funding, patience or space to keep them alive. Why would I think that in their death that they would be treated with more dignity?

Sandra, I'm glad you brought this up because as ugly as it is, it does force us to think about it, and hopefully lights a fire under us to work even harder to educate, support and hopefully do away with all of these horrible practices in place. We may not see it corrected in our lifetime, but we can sure make an effort and a difference.

Logan

I just heard on the news this morning that the Mayor of Boston was so outraged by this "revelation," that he has ordered that within 2 weeks this disgusting practice be stopped and another more humane, dignified alternative be put in place. I guess that as horrible as the images were to see, at that point, the powers that be could no longer ignore them! They actually showed video of the site on NBC news!! Still, it is a bit encouraging, and simply amazing, how change can be brought about when brought into the public's eye!!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

How terrible. I can't imagine them having a picture of this on the front page of a paper.
    I guess I always thought they just cremated the bodies.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets