Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think my cat may have been poisoned

Think my cat may have been poisoned

Hi

My little cat Yoda is three years old. Two weeks ago she went off her food and stopped eating or drinking. I took her to the vet who kepy her for two days on a drip. He said that she wcould have eaten a rat that had been poisoned, I live in the Spanish countryside and this could be a possibility. He did tests and said that everything appeared to be ok and to give her two injections each day (one vitamin and antibiotic) since then she goes to eat and iobviously wants to eat but has a small taste and then walks away, there is nothing stuck in her mouth. The roof of her mouth is white. She is now very weak and this morning her eyes are permanently dilated and she literally looks catatonic. I have been feeding her with syringes with baby food liquidised cat food and water, vet doesn't know what is wrong. Has anyone any ideas amny thanks

I would try another vet, or even call any Veterinary Universities nearby, this sounds serious.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Yes - I agree with what Karen said. Your kitty needs help immediately.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Yes, this is an emergency!!! If you have an ER vet, take her there, NOW.

more info on Yoda

Hi I live in the campo in Andalucia where cats are seen as little more than vermin, the vet has done all he can and has said that I must try to get liquid and food into her which I am hourly by syringe (baby food, cat milk and water) she has none of the usual signs of poisoning i.e bleeding etc but her eyes are very dilated which I think is due to her being dehydrated. She's not in pain but very listless probobly because she has lost so much weight. I am hoping that whatever she's taken may go through her system, just hoping I can keep her going long enough to give her a chance of getting rid of it herself.
    Many thanks for your support

I'm sorry to hear your little Yoda is feeling so weak. I hope she will get better. Keeping her hydrated is important, so you're doing the right thing. Is she peeing and pooping?

There are probably far between vets where you are, but a second opinion from another vet would not hurt.

Sending lots of good thoughts.

By the way, I love Andalucia, have been to Sevilla, Estepona, Malaga, Ronda, Granada and Mojacar, plus other places in Spain. Where are you?
    Last edited by Randi; 03-29-2011 at 06:51 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Can you get bags of fluid from your vet and give your cat some subcutaneous treatments? If she's that badly dehydrated, this may help. It's easy to do; have your vet show you and if done daily, she should snap back if that's the main reason she's so sick now. Please keep us posted and above all, keep the faythe.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

PT Prayers for Yoda and for you - I hope she rallies soon and you and she can get some good rest! As Mary said, keep the faythe...and keep us posted!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers and healing energies are being sent for Yoda, that she will get better from this.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Bad news

My little Yoda died this afternoon, she had a fit and went into shock. I took her to the vet and he put her to sleep. He said that the olive farmers in this region are using new weed killers and a lot of animals have been affected.... I miss her so much already. Yoda was offered to me at our builders yard at the age of 4 weeks, she had fallen off the roof and was surviving ubder a piece of plastic, I took her home and thought I would give her a great last night, put her to sleep in the kitchen with a hot water bottle and didn't think she would survive the night. In the morning she was like a manic fur ball bouncing around and stayed that way for the next three years..I think her legs had been broken as she had the craziest walk and galloped everywhere...you could hear her a mile away, she was the ugliest cat around. At that time we lived in a rented apartment and she had only a small balcony to play on, we then moved to our place on a 5 acre olive grove and she literally went wild running up the olive trees, chasing around and spent most days lazing around the pool. When we had guests she would be fussed and petted...I guess she had an ideal life for a cat, her friend chockie box (our other cat, who was resuced from a dustbin ..three kittens had been left in the bin in a shoe box) will miss her I know.
    thanks for all the support

Julie

I live in Iznajar in Andalucia with my donkeys (vinny and hote) and chockie box xx

That is so sad, we are sorry for your loss. At least Yoda will not suffer any more. If Chockie is not already inside only, I would make sure he or she becomes an inside only cat, so the same thing doesn't happen to Chockie Box.
    I've Been Frosted

I am so sorry.

Rest in peace, little Yoda, safe and healthy now.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm so sorry about Yoda. Perhaps think about keeping Chockie box inside so that s/he's safe, too. RIP, Yoda and peace to your human.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Poor Yoda and poor you...you did everything a loving mom would do for her kitty.

May Chockie be safe and healthy and an indoor kitty; if this is difficult for Chockie, see if there is a way to build an outside enclosure. That way Chockie can be outside and safer that way.

I am so sorry for your loss.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    RIP Yoda

So sorry to hear that Yoda is gone. Like others said, I hope that you will be able to save Chockie Box from the same fate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~