Thread: My dog hides out under the bed a lot

My dog hides out under the bed a lot

My dog Winnie always goes under our bed. Now I know about how dogs used like to have their cave-like spaces, hence crate-training. But I just wonder if this is normal. There's nothing to be scared of here, and she didn't do it in our other house. I just wonder why she'd want to be under the bed instead of around me. Maybe it's cause she is around us alot and when we are just sitting somewhere she doesn't care. But she spends a lot of the night and quite a few hours of the day just hanging out under our bed.

Not that I know alot about doggie behaviour, but by any chance has it been really hot there? When it's really hot here my cats like to go under things where it's dark, and surprisingly cool for a closed in space. Just a suggestions.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

HOT, LOL? Here in the UK, haha? No chance, it's been rain rain rain and floods all summer.

Does you dog seem anxious in any other way? I know mine likes to wander off up to the greenhouse and lay in there sometimes. She likes it in there even though it's right up the garden.
    It might be nothing to worry about really. She might just like it under there if she feels it's secure and she doesn't get disturbed.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Maby your dog is scared. Did you get anything new the last couple of weeks. If she is scared of something try to find out what it is. Then try to get your dog used to it.

It could be that your dog wants to be alone. She could be tired. Try to find out what she is doing under the bed.

I was thinking the same thing. Is your dog's tail usually in between her legs? If they are, it means she is scared.
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Maybe she just likes it under there?? My cat will hang out and sleep under our bed. My dog Charlie will go in his crate when he's bored or sleepy and just hang out (door open), Jamie does it, too. There's no way either could fit under my bed but maybe its just his "safe place" he goes to when he gets bored.

You said it started happening when you moved?? The move could have stressed him out and that could be why he's doing it.

facebook

Fenway spends a lot of time under the bed too. At first I thought he just didn't like the company. But now I realize he does it either because it's hot (and the rug must be cool down there) or he does it because it's a comfort place. He usually starts off the night like that and then ends up coming on the bed to sleep.

I don't think I would be too worried.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Well it has been a bit warm up here, to me anyway, as we have no AC and where we used to live AC was on 24/7 and I keep it cold.

I do think she likes to have a bit of alone time. She doesn't appear to be frightened of anything, she's not usually like that. It is kinda cute how she hangs out under there. She wags her tail if you peek under and pet her. I think she might just like her own area. And it's probably a bit cooler, this week has been warm. The dogs have both been sleeping/lazing about a lot more lately. I guess they are like their owner

Thanks for the info guys.

I have two that on occasion will seek out a spot under the bed or in the back of my closet. With mine I do believe it is indicative that something is not right with them. Tucker did it when he first came to live with us and then lately when he has had his mini seizures. Hannah will do it in spurts, do it for several days at a time and then not for a long time. I had a guest dog here who also sought solice under the bed. My conclusion based on my own dogs is that it is in a way indicating that something is just not right for them - may be very minor or may be a medical problem.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

Could be want time alone? Some dogs do it just to feel crave like?

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -