Thread: DSLR vs. Point and Shoot

DSLR vs. Point and Shoot

I'm dumb. What's the difference? PLEASE be detailed! Just try not to confuse me too much

I want a new, higher quality, more professional digi-cam, and I was looking into some DSLR's. However, I fear that I'll be buying all the bells and whistles and be capable of doing nothing with them.

Digital SLRs you can change lens and have more functionality over exactly how you want to use and shoot your images.

Point-and-shoot cameras are typically user-friendly, offer some customization as for the specs when shooting but not as near as much as an SLR, and you can not change lens.

That's the major differences, anyway, there of course are tons others but just remember: megapixel alone isn't everything

facebook

Jessika explained it exactly how I would.

A DSLR allows you more control over how you're shooting. They are amazing, however, unless you are wanting to go into photography professionally, I don't see the point in purchasing one.

If I wasn't selling my photography there's no way I would have even purchased a DSLR.

Kay, you take great photos... so, if you were to recommend a decent digital camera for just an every day person to use, what would you recommend??

I had posted in another thread I have an HP Photosmart something or other (can't recall it at the moment and it's downstairs). I had a Nikon before this, although I traded up on the megapixels (2.0 to 5.1). The resolution on this baby is great, but the shutter time, it just bites. I can't change it to anything faster, just to delay it, which, I have no idea why I'd want it slower at this point!

I can't afford a ton (and I bought this one on ebay for about $175.00 last fall). I'll probably re-ebay it and then use those proceeds to help finance another one.

Anyway... any thoughts on what to buy???

Jess and Kay explained it pretty well. DSLRs are great cameras and lots of fun, but I wouldn't get one unless you were serious about photography. They're very expensive and pretty big to carry around compared to the point and shoots. The great thing is that you can play with a lot of settings and set it exactly as you like it. If you know photography, it's a dream getting to use these settings.

Some of the point and shoots allow you to change settings too. I think you have the A75 right? I have that one.. I've been very happy with Canon Powershots for every day use. If you're looking to upgrade to something a little fancier, but not quite DSLR, I'd look into the slightly more expensive Canons (S3 IS, G series)

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    Kay, what would you recommend??
    Anyway... any thoughts on what to buy???

If you're looking for a cheap but good camera with limited options:
    Canon PowerShot A560

Want a bit more?
    Canon PowerShot A630

About as close to a SLR you can get without spending the money is the S-IS series...
    When I'm not using my SLR I use my Canon PowerShot S2 IS
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    Canon PowerShot S5 IS

Everyone was surprised that I wasn't using a DSLR when I was posting pictures from my S2 IS. However, the PowerShot A-series are a bit more user friendly.

I would stick with Canon, but that's my own personal preference.

I'm with Kay -- Canon, Canon, Canon!!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    If you're looking for a cheap but good camera with limited options:
    Canon PowerShot A560

Want a bit more?
    Canon PowerShot A630

About as close to a SLR you can get without spending the money is the S-IS series...
    When I'm not using my SLR I use my Canon PowerShot S2 IS
    Canon PowerShot S3 IS
    Canon PowerShot S5 IS

Everyone was surprised that I wasn't using a DSLR when I was posting pictures from my S2 IS. However, the PowerShot A-series are a bit more user friendly.

I would stick with Canon, but that's my own personal preference.
    Those black ones, the Powershot S2-5's, are they digital??? I thought most of the black kinds of cams were regular film, and the other silvery ones were digitals. I know this sounds silly, but that's how they USED to be anyway, lol.

Yep - all of the cameras I posted are digital.

I *think* they all come in silver as well. I love that they come in black, I think they look more professional and sleeker that way.

I own 5 cameras (2 film SLR's, and 3 digitals), all are Canon's.

A DSLR is a digital version of a fully loaded film camera, they are heavy, but have many bells and whistles and changeable lenses and are usually pricey.

Of the point and shoot's, my digital A40 is a fairly compact camera (although I'm not sure you can still get these new in the stores anymore), it's a simple point and shoot with a few bells and whistles but nothing very complicated. Typically point and shoot digital cameras are less expensive, smaller and more user friendly to novice users.

They also have what some call a "pro-sumer" camera (Canon's S1-S5 series), more feature loaded than a simple point and shoot, but lighter weight and do not typically have changeable lenses compared to DSLR. Kinda a crossbreed. lol

Among my camera's I prefer my S3 & S1, they have much of the features I want out of an SLR but without the weight, and STILL have simple automated settings that even a novice can use with ease (hey if my mom can figure out how to use the automated settings, ANYONE can lol) I actually turned down a DSLR Canon Rebel XTi to get my latest S3 if that tells you anything. lol

Most of it depends on how you intend to use the camera.

If all you want to do is take decent family or vacation pix and be able to email them to people probably a simple point and shoot digital would be fine, Canon's A series cameras.

If you want to gradually learn how to use the fancy stuff or plan to go heavier into photography I'd recommend one of the S1-S5 series Canon's. Gives you a simple starting point with LOTS of room to get creative later on and you can always later move up to the more expensive DSLR's later once you expand your techniques.

What ever camera you are interested in ALWAYS go to a store and actually hold the camera and take a few test shots first. Check out several different models and actually try them out! What good is the best camera in the world if it makes your hands cramp up, you can't easily use the buttons, is too heavy, or is so small your fingers always block the lens?

Also you can check out professional reviews on most cameras (even many older models) on Steve's Digicams . They have a VERY accurate review of cameras and their good and bad points.

***Sorry for my plugs for Canon, even my computer printer is a Canon, I find them to be easy to learn to use and the icons/buttons are similar from one model to the next so I don't have to re-learn everything everytime from scratch. lol Canon really should pay me for the advertisement lol!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Jenn if you don't want to spend $300 on a camera, take a look into this.

It's not a Canon, but it's really similar (and according to most reviews, even better than & with more features) the S3 IS.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Yeah, I was getting really interested in the S3, but I was having trouble determining which was better- the Digi Rebel or the S3. It's just that I've been having uber fun with our film Rebel and I wanted to get the same quality but in digital. Of course, I first thought of the Digi Rebel Thanks for the input guys! From observation, I guessed that DSLR's had interchangeable lenses and that point-and-shoots didn't. I figured that that was too easy, and there had to be something more complex =P Of course, there probably is, but then I'd just confuse myself.