Thread: How long til he eats???? :-(

How long til he eats???? :-(

Pyka had a vet checkup yesterday morning. Poor mom is getting tired...she is feeding him 5 - 6 times a day, working up to 1 1/4 cans by next week.

He was put on a new Morphine patch, so he is subdued, but of course lethargic and not having a lot of appetite.

We fed him 1/3 can (5 parts food to 1 part water) yesterday noon and the same last night...and he threw up the food last night, so we are trying smaller meals more often.

Vet says most of the healing will be done in another week. He is sneezing MUCH less, and there is less blood all the time.

But I don't know how soon he will eat on his own...Mom doesn't either. What do I tell her?

Any ideas, folks? Maybe once this last morphine bit wears off, he will perk up and eat on his own - even hand fed? He's so bony...but can still move around and jump to his favourite spots.

Thanks....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Pyka had a vet checkup yesterday morning. Poor mom is getting tired...she is feeding him 5 - 6 times a day, working up to 1 1/4 cans by next week.
    He was put on a new Morphine patch, so he is subdued, but of course lethargic and not having a lot of appetite.
    Thanks....
    Morphine patch I would say is the appetite surpressant. As long as Pkya is on that I would say eating is not going to be easy. 1 1/4 cans is a good start but most cans of wet food you have to eat 4 small ones (3 oz size) or 2 (6 oz size) ones a day.

Suggestions:

(1) Cook some plain white rice and give it to Pyka. Also use the water it's boiled in for drinking. This helps upset tummys.
    Cook some hamburger (rinse and drain well with water) mix with white rice.

(2) Is chewing an issue? If so take dry kibble and grind it in a coffee grinder (not a food processor). Coffee grinder will pulvervise nicely to a powder consistancy. Using a food processor requires a liquid and that gets really gummy and paste like consistancy.
    Mix the wet food and dry together and moisten frequently with hot water (with a syringe) to make it more palitable to taste. Hot water (I run it through coffee maker) makes it smell more too.
    I use the above #2 method with Thumper

(3) NutralCal (get it a any good petstore) is great to stimulate appetites.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Awww poor Pyka!

I dunno about Pyka, but back in 1997 Dusty got aspiration pnemonia and didn't eat anything for 2 weeks 2 days, she went from 14 lbs to 7 lbs, but eventually started eating again and did great for 10 years until we had to have her put down a few weeks ago at 17 years old.

I hope Pyka is just as much of a fighter and she has you and your mom to help her.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I agree with Craftlady. Narcotics depress appetite, and can constipate.

He's doing fine with the syringe feeding. I was just wondering how long it might be before he eats on his own.

I keep forgetting his surgery was just a week ago today, and it was major (Google turbinectomy). So I am sure once this last morphine patch wears off, and he has caught up on feeding, he will be more himself.

Poor mom - would like to spell her off in the evenings so she can go for a walk. I think I will go over tomorrow night.

Your mom is lucky Pyka uses the syringe for feedings.
    I get to use my hand for Thumper. Dang wet/dry food combo is drying my hand out. I'm using lots of hand lotion that gets washed off before I feed her.
    It's hard to feed in alternative ways, very tiresome.

Hopefully Pyka will eat on his own soon.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I have to agree with the above post!!! I tried to syringe a few of the Clan when they were ill and it all came right back up!!! Prayers that Pyka progresses back to his old self quickly!!
    Nine is Fine!!

A few signs of purrsonality today!

First of all - Pyka has just thrown up once per day - both times the liquid Clavamox was involved. (However, today there was no blood - so the sinuses must be healing and not oozing blood any more). Mom is going to ask for the pills. Feeding times are much calmer, Mom makes the mixture a bit thicker and it goes down better. He also got hydrated at the vet this morning.

Today - he sniffed at his favourite food, expressing some interest. (any change is good!). Then Mom was running water in the kitchen, and he bobbed his head as he does when he wants to drink in the sink...so Mom filled a container with water - but his brain didn't quite connect that LICKING was the next step.

When Mom cuddles him after a feeding, he plants his paws against the palm of her hand (straight-legged I think) and does little toe punches. He and his littermate have never been really good at it...so Pyka is up to snuff in that area.

He also has been making his own way to the litter box, so energy is a bit better.

Just a week and a day after this surgery. I think he will come around more after the latest morphine patch is removed.

The PT Prayers - and Mom's work - are paying off...

thank you!

A few signs of purrsonality today!

First of all - Pyka has just thrown up once per day - both times the liquid Clavamox was involved. (However, today there was no blood - so the sinuses must be healing and not oozing blood any more). Mom is going to ask for the pills.

One of the side effects of Clavamox is an upset tummy, and more so if the animal is not eating properly. Out of curiousity what pills were they thinking of giving instead?

Glad to hear there is a purrrsonality back again and enough energy to get to the litterbox again !

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

CatLady - the Clavamox in tablet form is what Mom wants. He was on this before when his sinus problem was so chronic, and tolerated the pills well. I think they break down a little more slowly, especially with food - and Mom says he is very easy to pill.

So we hope that works. It should.

CatLady - the Clavamox in tablet form is what Mom wants. He was on this before when his sinus problem was so chronic, and tolerated the pills well. I think they break down a little more slowly, especially with food - and Mom says he is very easy to pill.

So we hope that works. It should.

Good think Pyka is easy to pill, you guys are very fortunate there! I hope the pill works as expected and gets Pyka healed up quickly.