Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I The Only One Who Thinks This Is Wrong??

Most of the pit bulls I've known seemed to be no more dangerous than any other animal. We like to think of our pets as 'family members' but the reality is they are animals and unpredictable. We can do a lot with training (the pet's behavior, as well as our own), socialization, pre-empting potentially risky situations, etc. but there is still that unpredictable element.

I've known friends and neighbors with pit bulls and in every one of these cases, their dogs were put in their crates in potentially dangerous situations (i.e. large gatherings with unknown people, lots of little kids running around, etc.). They were very aware that they owned powerful dogs capable of maiming or killing if provoked.

That said, as a mother of 3, I would err on the extreme side of caution when getting an animal from the pound or humane society. Yes they may know the history of the animal, but depending on their ethics, may not divulge honestly. My parents got a small dog from the human society and only learned later, after it had attacked the grandchildren, that it was not some little old lady's dog but rather had been taken from a home where it had been tormented by children.

I have yet to see a big attack from a well bred, well socialized, well treated, well trained dog. all those factors play into these attacks. where they from a poor breeder who fights? were they socialized young? were they abused? were they ever trained? i've yet to see any who were all of them and attack. then again no one wants to look at that.

Theres a word or titkle for people against certain breeds and it's "Breedist", much like racist. For anyone interested i belong to this anti- BSL group and its full of updates and great people.
    http://community.livejournal.com/breedists_no/

I have a "Punish the Deed, Not the Breed" Bracelet and believe in it very much.I work with "Pit bulls" (not an actual breed but a pin name for multiple ones) in the rescue, I've grown to love them. This guy, Ziggy, is our mascot- he hasn't been adopted in the three or so years he's been with us.

Not to forget our little foster dog Velma Dinkley!

100%

You are right, hold on to your dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by xVelvet_FuzzButtx
    I have yet to see a big attack from a well bred, well socialized, well treated, well trained dog. all those factors play into these attacks. where they from a poor breeder who fights? were they socialized young? were they abused? were they ever trained? i've yet to see any who were all of them and attack. then again no one wants to look at that.

Theres a word or titkle for people against certain breeds and it's "Breedist", much like racist. For anyone interested i belong to this anti- BSL group and its full of updates and great people.
    http://community.livejournal.com/breedists_no/

I have a "Punish the Deed, Not the Breed" Bracelet and believe in it very much.I work with "Pit bulls" (not an actual breed but a pin name for multiple ones) in the rescue, I've grown to love them. This guy, Ziggy, is our mascot- he hasn't been adopted in the three or so years he's been with us.
    Aw poor Ziggy. He's a very beautiful dog too, I'd adopt him if I could

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

seeing that beautiful face, it makes me so sad that no one can help him. God Bless You Ziggy. You are in my prayers.
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!

Here we go again :-(

I'm not sure if everyone heard about this but it just makes me so sad because it keeps happening. An 8 year old boy on the south side of Chicago was knocked down and attacked by his family's two pit bulls as he came home from school. The boy is in the hospital, critical condition, and you know what's going to happen to the dogs. I'm guessing the dogs' owner hadn't properly taught them.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Honestly the last thing this breed needs at the moment is more bad press...how about a happy story for a change?

Pit Bull Stands By Owner In Tanker Crash
    Loyalty Proven By Man's Best Friend

EAST LYME, Conn. -- One canine certainly fulfilled the role of man's best friend on Friday.

Witnesses described seeing a tanker truck barrel through the median into oncoming traffic, killing three people and injuring three others on Interstate 95 in East Lyme late Friday morning. The tanker struck a tractor-trailer and at least four cars and overturned.

As chaos broke out on I-95, a heroic pit bull remained calm, sitting in the front seat of a tractor-trailer hit by a tanker truck. As the truck crumbled, the dog stood tall, staying beside his owner until help arrived.

"I was calling to him, but he was just standing there and just guarding his person," said Phyllis Martino, a witness at the scene.

The heroic dog stayed right by his owner's side, but arriving firefighters quickly rushed that badly injured driver to the hospital.

That's when another hero was standing by to step in. Vincent Gagliardi said the pit bull was frantic as his owner was carried away. So, Gagliardi took off his belt, ran to the dog, fashioned a leash and got the dog out of there.

"This guy was still sitting in the passenger seat, and there was diesel fuel all around, so I took him out of there," Gagliardi said.

Authorities did not release on Friday any identities of those involved in the crash.

Here's the video:
    http://mfile.akamai.com/25576/wmv/v...502759.200k.asx

http://www.wfsb.com/news/14502758/d...s=hart&psp=news

I went through something like that with my grandmother. I had a pitbull, named Jessica (sweetest dog in the world) and my grandmother gave her away because we were moving to a "better" part of town and she didnt want people to think she was bad or trashy so she gave her away. Found out a year later Jessica died from being overbred at uner 2 years of age. The guilt still kills me.

Oh my that is awful GSD, I am so sorry