Thread: Cat Proof Window Screens?

Hybrid View

Cat Proof Window Screens?

Anybody out there know of a window screening that is strong enough to resist kitty claws? I've heard people speak of stuff like that but haven't been able to find it despite a thorough search of the 'net.

Cricket wants to stretch up and scratch on the screens of HIS house (not ours ) and they are starting to look ratty. More importantly, I don't want him to be able to break through one and find himself on a very busy street!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Cricket's Mom

I have not heard of a screen window that a cat can't eventually tear. I plan to add hardware cloth to the outside of my windows. It is a fine wire fencing material that you can buy at any home supply store. Cut to fit and staple to the outside. Nail a piece of wood trim on the edges and paint to match. It isn't a fashion statement, so it might be best if used on the back of the house if looks are a concern.

I had my cats get out a couple of weeks ago. Until I get around to doing it to mine, I have to keep the windows closed.

Cat proof screens

Thx for the suggestion, mruffuff. A family member sent me this web addy, if you are interested. <www.petscreen.com> I have ordered some. It is supposed to be 7 times stronger than the usual fiberglass screen.

Since Mollie Rose fell out of my apartment window, I went out and bought expandable screens to fit on the inside of the window. I don't open the windows any further than the width of the expandable. Works like a charm. They're still able to sit in the window but can't lean on the outside screen.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yup--I rescreened with PetScreen 9 years ago, and the bazillions of monsters haven't managed to put a hole in it yet. http://www.petscreen.com/ Do yourself a favor and get the smallest size spline you can when you're replacing it.

Pearl tore up my screen in my bedroom window and the other bedroom window also needed to be replaced so I had them both replaced with pet screens and so far they're both holding up very well. I also make sure to trim my cats nails more often.

Unfortunately, my cats pulled the spline out, leaving a nice flap to crawl through. I do use the adjustable screen inserts in their room. They have lasted for more than 3 years, so it's a good solution, too.

expandable screens?

Mruffruff,

Where do I get expandable screens?

thanks,

keefecat

I have seen them at K-Mart, Walmart, and most hardware stores when they are "in season".

Be sure to close the window onto them tightly.

Since I've had 2 cats fall through screens, I put in the expandable screens you can get at a hardware store. I only open the window to the top of the expandable screen. It works like a charm and cheaper than getting new screens (I live in an apartment).
    Last edited by moosmom; 03-18-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

The expandable screens I use are meant to be inserted under the opened window and into the track where the window slides. Closing the window onto the top of the screen holds it in place.

I am glad this thread was posted. I only have one window in my house where the screen is inside the frame. I don't open any of the other windows because I am afraid someone will push the screen out. The 4 of them take turns at the window. I would like to open more windows for them so I may try some of these ideas. I love this place. Thanks!!!

Safety Screens

http://www.flat-cats.co.uk/flat_cats...e_standard.htm

I just found this site and am considering ordering, unless anyone has any better suggestions. I'm worried that the expandable screen may not be secure enough, although I'm willing to give it a try.

Cat Proof Screening material

You may want to look into something that is a little "tougher" than regular wire mesh window screens. Try looking at industrial wire cloth material. You can fasten it over the regular screens and it will be much more durable than the other regular screens, take a look here and you might find exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.bwire.com/