Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Update!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    *BUMP*

Just wondering how you are doing and what is going on since we haven't heard from you since September.

Are you still in Bahrain? Are you still training in Australia? Hope the holidays went well. Just checking in for an update.
    Using this thread for an update from you, Jenn - do you still have Allie or was Julie able to take her back now she's back in Bahrain?

Lizzie - both cats are still in the USA. Ally is with Jenn, and Connor with emilythespoiled.

I don't recall any talk about her taking them back...but I guess it depends what is going on with them. They don't want to stay in Bahrain, and hope to settle in Aus.

So...maybe not a good time to get their kitties back, or even to get kitties at all.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Here's part of the problem.... I need to place Ally somewhere else. My friend, who has no where else to go, is going to be moving into my 3rd floor on the 31st of Dec. He's subletting from someone who just told him that they are moving out and breaking the lease. He doesn't have a legal claim to the apartment and is not on the lease... sigh. He has absolutely no where else to go. I have to place Sassy and Frankie back in the shelter this weekend, and I have no where to go with Ally. I don't know what to do.

The last I heard from Julie was in Sept. and she knows the issues I've been dealing with with Ally, and even said if worse comes to worse I should have her PTS because Warren won't pay for her to be shipped back basically. He wouldn't pay for her to be shipped here to begin with, and would have been PTS over there.

I do not want to have Ally PTS. That is not an option in my mind at all. The shelter I volunteer with can't take her because she's so aggressive with cats and people. There is a no kill that I'm going to try to get her into, but other than that, I don't know what to do. Jen L. can't take her either... so I'm really, really screwed.

My friend who is moving in has super allergies, which is why he's going on the 3rd floor away from my cats. I have to literally scrub everything down up there in the next 2 days, throw out the curtains, and let the windows open to air it out. He's going to be using a HEPA filter as well as being on numerous meds while he's in the house. Thankfully he works 3 jobs and won't be here all that much, but enough that he reacts within about 30-45 minutes that he needs to take the prescription meds.

I will not put her to sleep. I just can't do that. I just am not sure where to go with her at this point since Julie can't take her back. I don't even know when that would be possible in the future... I don't think Warren wants Ally back.

Julie and Warren were reimbursed for Ally's flight here, but there still is some money left after food, litter, and tons of Feliway. I have no idea if anyone can take her in, but she can be shipped if that would be a possibility. I don't know if anyone wants to take in a very aggressive cat... she does, and will bite. You cannot handle her without wearing gloves (like for wild animals) or wrapping her in a towel to restrain her. She bites whatever she can get ahold of... toes, ankles, calves, thighs, hands... you name it, it's fair game and I've been bitten there.

I'm really at a loss about what to do...

Good to hear from you. Happy about all your good news. Hope the rest turns out okay, and your hair starts growing back. They say it will grow back fuller.

Hugs,
    Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

I have been feeling SO guilty that I cannot take Ally in. I know that I said I would be here for a back up, but I have 25 cats in this house. And since it no longer seems like a temporary situation, but rather a PERMANENT one, it is just not an option. Unless I ship all 8 fosters to another place and keep her alone upstairs. But 5 of the fosters are unadoptable and have come to think of this as their home. Would condemming them to the shelter (FOR LIFE) be fair??

Unfortunately it turns out Connor isn't much better. Unfortunately he is really aggressive towards other cats (he would be fine as a solo cat but not with others). So right now I keep him in my spare bedroom and let him out for a couple of hours every night while I put the other cat he is aggressive towards in another room and shut the door.

So I am not in much of a position to take her in either...

Praying for a good solution for Ally.

I wish I was closer as I could keep Ally in the spare bedroom and let her gradually get used to the Found Cats. But I am too far away and we are still working on Project Pouncer Roccalno rehoming, so I can only offer Our Prayers that Ally finds her Furr Ever Home and her place in the Sun.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by jenluckenbach
    I have been feeling SO guilty that I cannot take Ally in. I know that I said I would be here for a back up, but I have 25 cats in this house. And since it no longer seems like a temporary situation, but rather a PERMANENT one, it is just not an option. Unless I ship all 8 fosters to another place and keep her alone upstairs. But 5 of the fosters are unadoptable and have come to think of this as their home. Would condemming them to the shelter (FOR LIFE) be fair??
    You have no reason to feel guilty... please don't think that. I'm feeling guilty enough as it is, but even with what Julie said, I still don't think that being PTS is the answer. I don't know what is at this point. I'm hoping on AID, or somewhere they can keep her at least so she can see other cats, even if within a cage??? She's just got no social skills at all (unless she thinks biting everyone around her is fun and we want that??). You're doing right by your fosters, and I have to do right by mine, and also my friend who has literally no where else to go. SIGH....

Jenn and Emily, neither of you should feel in the slightest bit guilty since you have both adjusted your homes, your lives, and the lives of your cats to an extreme degree in order to offer continued shelter to these cats. It looks like Connor will be with Emily for the rest of his life; she's going to spend years accomodating him which is a major sacrifice. As for you, Jenn, there must be few people in the world who are willing to offer the savage Allie a home. It's not in any living being's nature to offer themselves up as bait for a biter and, if she was out in the natural world, her alpha days would end in her own bloodshed or starvation. Stop lashing yourselves, you guys, you are heroes!

I'm not blaming the cats either for their natures, they are what they are. However, I just got back from the shelter where I had to take one of my fosters, Pidge, for a check-up. She's in renal failure and is close to the end. She was turned into the no-kill shelter when she was 12 and went into a decline. So, if I"m looking at setting aside a room for one cat, and all the adjustments surrounding that choice, it isn't going to be for a cat like Allie. There are many, many more Pidge's at the shelter and I'd put them way ahead of the list above any Allie's. I think you guys are very rare. I couldn't do what you have done and I don't think many other people would.

What would I do in your place? Look frantically for another place for my friend, then look frantically for another place for Allie, just as you are doing, then consider two options. Make her an outdoor cat and let Mother Nature deal with her (you would, of course, provide an outdoor shelter and care) or euthanize. I hope for your sake that you can find somewhere to take Allie because I don't think you would ever forgive yourself if you followed either of those options - but I think everyone here would understand completely.

I feel bad for both cats and both gals who are trying their best to take care of them. Hate to say, this but think Jenn & Emily got the raw end of the deal. They are saints in taking these two cats into their homes.
    It's hard to make decisions without emotions being attached. These two kitties are NOT your ordinary cats. Especially, Ally I would not trust her period after everything I've read to date. It appears being left alone for so long took it's toll before she came to the USA. IF putting Ally to sleep is the best interest for her, all the RB babies will take care of her.

Good luck gals, prayers going out to you both in the decision you are to make in the days to come.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie

What would I do in your place? Look frantically for another place for my friend, then look frantically for another place for Allie, just as you are doing, then consider two options. Make her an outdoor cat and let Mother Nature deal with her (you would, of course, provide an outdoor shelter and care) or euthanize. I hope for your sake that you can find somewhere to take Allie because I don't think you would ever forgive yourself if you followed either of those options - but I think everyone here would understand completely.

Whatever is decided ,I hope she is not just made an outdoor cat. I think
    that would be pure torture for a cat that has never known outdoor life.

It probably would be kinder to PTS. It sounds like she has never been a
    happy cat. I wonder what made her so aggressive with people?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I just PM'd Jenn and Emily each a link for the Best Friends community in their state/county.

I hope they will help these women who have done so much for these cats, and also get the cats to where they might get a good home (Connor) or have a good place for the rest of their lives at BF (Ally).

Here's the link to other communities.

http://network.bestfriends.org/Communities/

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    Whatever is decided ,I hope she is not just made an outdoor cat. I think
    that would be pure torture for a cat that has never known outdoor life.

It probably would be kinder to PTS. It sounds like she has never been a
    happy cat. I wonder what made her so aggressive with people?
    From what I understand, Ali was a stray that Julie brought in while in Bahrain. Ali wasn't ever "tame", but the time she spent alone after Julie & Warren moved to S. Africa really didn't help any. I do know that jenn_librarian (jennie?) has been bitten and/or attacked multiple times. She's had a reading done by Nancy, which was not positive at all (towards Ali ever being a friendly kitty).

You are right and it may be kinder to have her pts, instead of living in turmoil the rest of her days. I don't know if anyone would ever consider that an option though.

My heart goes out to everyone involved - it's a terrible situation for anyone.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

There is also Tiger Retreat or some such in PA - I sent Jenn the link.

Who knows - with some intensive 1-on-1 and socialization, Ally may be able to at least spend the rest of her life at a sanctuary, whether Best Friends or somewhere else.

Prayers that all works out for Connor and Ally.