Thread: Help -- cleaning the burnt-on mess on top of my stove!

Help -- cleaning the burnt-on mess on top of my stove!

Ok folks, we have burnt-on, gooky mess on top of our stove and hubby's in the mood to tackle it today

We are sure that oven cleaner will work but don't want the fumes with Cameron and the monsters in the house. Someone suggested we try ammonia. It made a huge smelly mess but didn't make much of a dent in the burnt-on junk.

Any sure-fire methods of cleaning the stove?

Water and let it soak. Odorless, and the "universal solvent." That, and some elbow grease, and then ordinary kitchen cleaner ought to do the trick.

They do make a fume free oven cleaner. I would suggest the kind made for self cleaning ovens, then you don't have to worry about it eating the finish off the stove top.

They do make a no fumes oven cleaner.
    Fantastic (or product close to that) works great on stove top.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Thanks for the suggestions so far gang!

Hubby was thinking it would have to be stove cleaner. We didn't know they made odorless.... is it TRULY an odorless product? Or is the odor faint compared to its ancestor?

Heres some recipes for Organic Oven Cleaners --

http://www.clean-things.com/how-to-clean-a-stove.htm (mostly 'use baking soda')

http://riri.essortment.com/organiccleaning_rase.htm

Good luck!

Yup that's what I do. I lay a wet washcloth with some soap on it and let it soak for 15 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Water and let it soak. Odorless, and the "universal solvent." That, and some elbow grease, and then ordinary kitchen cleaner ought to do the trick.

Make a paste of baking soda and goop it on the messy parts. Leave it on until it dries. That really loosens burnt crud!

It also gets grease out of tile grout, but it's a bit tricky getting it to stay on a vertical surface.

Love, Columbine

Try Dawn PowerScrub

Dick found this stuff and it is wicked at cleaning the top of the stove. He and I are both good, but messy cooks. He sprays this stuff on, lets it sit for a short time and it scrubs off. And the smell is not toxic. It's really good stuff.

Robin

There's a cleaner called "Awesomely Orange" - I'm not sure if they sell it everywhere but it really IS awesome. We used it on the stove at my old job. That stuff could clean anything. We bought it at the dollar store.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Yep! Water, time and elbow grease work everytime. I'm gonna try the washcloth idea. After soaking for a while, I sometimes add salt for the scrubbyness.

The strong smell of cleansers sometimes give me a migraine so I avoid them whenever possible.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I haven't found anything that 409 can't handle. Wet the area a little,
    spray in on & wait a few moments, then scrub.Works well for me. BTW,
    what was the burnt stuff?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I use white vinegar for cleaning, It takes awhile on the stove, but it does work.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    There's a cleaner called "Awesomely Orange" - I'm not sure if they sell it everywhere but it really IS awesome. We used it on the stove at my old job. That stuff could clean anything. We bought it at the dollar store.
    Yeah, any of the orange concoctions (Tough Orange, Orange Power, Super Orange) will do it too. I use the orange stuff to clean the microwave. Makes me sneeze my brains out, though.

Love, Columbine (who sneezes a lot anyway)

I have never tried this on a stove top, but it sure works for the worst burnt mess on pans or skillets....sprinkle on some automatic dishwasher detergent (maybe a tablespoon) and cover a little water - I bet the wet washcloth will do well here. Let it rest for a few hours and the mess usually comes right off. I think I read this one from Heloise....it works!!