Thread: Two new ferrets

Two new ferrets

Ok, last new additions for a while. A few weeks ago I told my friend to let her cousin know I can take her ferrets if she doesn't want them. I'd been looking gor a friend for my ferret, Hlao. This lady has had these ferrets for 5-6 years and hardly took care of them. She claims she loves them but has been waiting for them to die because her house is too full of animals and she wants to do daycare in her home. She must have never picked up a book on ferrets or looked at a website in all her years of owning them. She thought they only lived 5-6 years. She did not know if they were for sure females as she didn't know how to tell. She was feeding them Purina kitten chow and banana chips for treats. She also thought they were rodents. It took a few weeks for her to decide to let them go and I said I'd take them sight unseen. I did however know one probably had adrenal disease from her description. They came to me Tuesday night. They smelled like they hadn't had a bath in years nor had their cage been cleaned decent. I had to bleach whatever I could of their supplies and give them baths. The "white" one turned her bath water yellow she was so nasty. The other one has toenails that are curling they are so long. They didn't have fleas which was a surprise so they did get introduced to Hlao who LOVES having ferret friends again after being raised with dogs. He's like a kid on Christmas when he gets to play with them.

The white one was Icey, but I keep calling her Isis like the Egyptian god. Appropriate since the Egyptians may have domesticated the ferret. She is obese although the pictures don't show her belly. She has longer softer fur like some sort of angora ferret. I threw away the kitten chow and banana chips so maybe on normal ferret food and with out of cage time she will lose her belly fat.

The other is Mimi. She has no hair on her tail and the rest of her hair is more sparse. I don't know what I'm going to do with her. I have to explore treatment options as I don't necessarily have all the much money so I'm hoping the local ferret vet is one that does adrenal surgery for only a few hundred. My last option would be to give her to the local ferret rescue, but the old owner is hoping to visit and also hoping to take them to bury them when they die. I'm hoping she eventually loses interest in how they are doing. Adrenal isn't fatal, but it isn't nice to live with without treatment. She's the one on the left in this picture. I will be getting better pictures this weekend. With all of her hair and some weight, she's look almost exactly like Hlao. I will definitely be looking into my options with her.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Wow, some people just should not own pets, those poor ferrets! Thank goodness they are with you now!
    I've Been Frosted

It is so good, by the way, that Hlao is enjoying the new kids, and I bet on a proper diet, both ferrets will look even better and have more energy as time goes on! Banana chips for a ferret? That's a new one for me, thank goodness they are with you now!
    I've Been Frosted