Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much rent should we charge?

How much rent should we charge?

My brother is moving in with us at the end of the month from Cincinnati. We get along really well, and he and my husband are friends, too. So hopefully all will go well in that regard.

He will be looking for a job after he moves in, and of course I don't expect him to help with rent when he's not working. He's planning on eventually getting his own place- so I don't want things to get too comfortable for him at our house, since I would really prefer that he eventually find his own apartment.

So, after he gets a job and before he gets his own place- what percentage of the rent should we ask him to pay?

He will have his own bedroom, but it is the small one...but then again utilities will be higher with him living here. I want to be fair, but I don't want to be taken advantage of (unintentionally of course).

None. He will be a short term guest in your home. Plus, he is family. I am sure like all normal people, he will offer to help out, buy groceries, etc., but, I couldn't really imagine having a family member or close friend pay rent to temporarily stay in my home.

Sorry, I am sure this wasn't what you were expecting, but, you asked for opinions!

I wouldn't ask for rent unless you absolutely needed help for utilities or if he lives there for a year or longer.

I WOULD ask him to help out around the house, be sure he cleans up after himself, etc.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My BIL stayed with us for a couple months a earlier this year when he was kicked out of his place. We actually did not charge rent, but he did have to help pay for gas (we were driving him back and forth to work and anywhere else he needed to go since he lost his license). He also bought some of his own groceries, although he still ate ours also (then again, when he got himself something good I helped myself here and there teehee ). I think as long as it's on a short term basis there's no need to charge rent. However, I do understand your point, if you charge him nothing then he may have no incentive to leave. My BIL's incentive to leave was his pet snake that he was not allowed to keep at our house. The snake had to stay with a friend, and he missed his snake, so he did work at finding his own place.

AWW!! He moved out for the love of his snake. Now, isn't that sweet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    AWW!! He moved out for the love of his snake. Now, isn't that sweet?
    Sweet for me - there was NO WAY that snake was staying in our house (no offense to you snake lovers out there )

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi
    My brother is moving in with us at the end of the month from Cincinnati. We get along really well, and he and my husband are friends, too. So hopefully all will go well in that regard.

He will be looking for a job after he moves in, and of course I don't expect him to help with rent when he's not working. He's planning on eventually getting his own place- so I don't want things to get too comfortable for him at our house, since I would really prefer that he eventually find his own apartment.

So, after he gets a job and before he gets his own place- what percentage of the rent should we ask him to pay?

He will have his own bedroom, but it is the small one...but then again utilities will be higher with him living here. I want to be fair, but I don't want to be taken advantage of (unintentionally of course).
    One Third !!!!
    Wom

I agree with most, at first i would not charge him, it all depends really on how generous he is, and how long he ends up staying, but if he buys some groceries and offers to help, take it,and if he ends up staying longer than you intended him too, then i would broach the subject, my son had a friend move in for about a month, temporarily, and never charged him, he ended up becoming a room-mate in the end,so it all worked out just fine.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

none. he is family and should be able to live with you until he gets his own place.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie
    none. he is family and should be able to live with you until he gets his own place.
    Nope....sorry folks...I disagree.
    People have to pay their own way for a number of reasons.
    Firstly it's because people cost ????? They cost you money and effort, and you shouldn't have to spring that free of charge.
    Secondly, if you make it too easy on him, then he isn't going to look around seriously for his own accommodation.
    Too many times I've heard of situations such as these, when homeowners find they have a freeloader who won't leave because of the owners hospitality.
    I know it's nice to do stuff for relo's and the like, but the situation can easily get out of hand, and you will be left with the big phone bills and electricity bills etc etc, after they move on.
    Work out in your head how much it costs for you and hubby to live for a month....divide that by three, and that is what your brother should pay, because that is what you will spend.
    Wom

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate the responses, even if they were not quite what I expected!!

Perhaps I should be more clear: After 2 months, assuming he has a job, we are going to ask him to kick in for rent. My brother, as much as I like him, is extremely cheap. I'm quite certain that if we never asked him to pay a dime, he wouldn't...he'd probably think he'd died and gone to heaven and would live with us forever.

If he wants to find a place right away, then it's understandable that he would want to save, and I wouldn't begrudge him not paying for anything, but I'm pretty sure he will just hang out at our house for a while and I have neither the means nor the inclination to support another adult for longer than necessary.

We've actually lived with him before- right after college we all three rented a house together- and he ended up moving out and leaving Eric and I to pay for everything, which we didn't plan on. :/ So, I've already decided that's not happening again, and I want to be clear right from the start what our expectations are.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004
    Nope....sorry folks...I disagree.
    People have to pay their own way for a number of reasons.
    Firstly it's because people cost ????? They cost you money and effort, and you shouldn't have to spring that free of charge.
    Secondly, if you make it too easy on him, then he isn't going to look around seriously for his own accommodation.
    Too many times I've heard of situations such as these, when homeowners find they have a freeloader who won't leave because of the owners hospitality.
    I know it's nice to do stuff for relo's and the like, but the situation can easily get out of hand, and you will be left with the big phone bills and electricity bills etc etc, after they move on.
    Work out in your head how much it costs for you and hubby to live for a month....divide that by three, and that is what your brother should pay, because that is what you will spend.
    Wom
    My husband thinks that he should have to pay a third after he gets a job, too. I don't feel quite right charging that much, but I do agree that he should kick in some money. It would be nice if some kind of barter worked out, but I'm pretty sure that won't be the case due to what happen the last time we lived with him.

I really don't want life at our house to get too cozy for him or he will never leave.

Only you and you alone know your brother, it sounds like he would take to free-loading ,so perhaps you should implement a system from day one,so you don't end up in a sticky situation, if you think thirds is the way to go ,then i say go for it, now that you have explained things further i am more in agreement to ask him to share expenses as soon as he gets work.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

I say first month free, after that 1/3 rent. (That was my opinion even before reading all the other replies.)

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

The house/apt is already where you live, you're not moving to a new place to accomodate your brother... right?

I don't know what your rent is, but that seems like you would be taking advantage of someone who is down on their luck. I don't see how 1/3 is fair, but that's just me. I've had family stay with me, and never charged anything except their long distance charges. I stayed with my brother after my divorce and thankfully he never charged me 1/2 of his rent, I couldn't have paid it.

Maybe $200 and have him help with groceries?

Crystal

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018