Thread: Behavior Problem

Behavior Problem

I have a major problem or think I have. In brief details here's what I have.

Tippy--Small 10 pound chihuahua/Dachshund mix 3 or 4 years old. Just recieved her from the animal shelter for a house and watch dog. She's an excellent companion and watch dog.

Buelah--Blond lab / collie mix or maybe some grey hound. She's 7 years old.

Freckles--Part Red heeler / Border collie mix. She's 9 years old.

Here's my story. Buelah is my problem. Bueulah has always been the most dominant dog. She does ok with Freckles and I think she has fought with Freckles time to time over a dead bird or any animal and dog food too if I'm not sitting there with them.

When I let Tippy out in my fenced in back yard I have to be out there for her protection from Buelah. You would think a part lab would be good. WRONG !!!!! Not Buelah.

Freckles loves Tippy to death. They play together like they're long lost friends.

Ok here's where I need your help. I just moved to a new house and had my whole back yard fenced in. I want to be able to just let Tippy outside and not have to watch after her.

I am considering taking Beulah to the animal shelter and again I'm afraid to do that thinking I might regret it later.

I also considered setting up a small pen for Buelah and really don't want to have to do that. I want all of my dogs to run free in a fenced in back yard and have a good time.

What should I do ?

THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET , THE MORE I LOVE MY DOGS.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    Well the most obivous solution without seeing the entire situtation in real life would just be not to have Tippy and Buelah out together. So they have to take turns going outside. What would you prefer two dogs that are happy or one potentially dead or seriously injured dog?

Sorry that might sound harsh but I speak from experience, if you can't watch them to be be there to intervene if somthing happens then don't set them up to fail. Just because you can't have them out together doesn't mean that you can't have all three. I know lots of people with multi-dog families that do just that, myself included.

Also why would you turn Buelah and not Tippy over to the shelter, when you have obviously had Buelah longer?
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

Tippy & Buelah

I lived with my mother and when she went into the nursing home I bought me a smaller house.

Then I wanted a '' Small '' house dog for a watchdog and lap dog since I live alone and wear a hearing aid. I did not want to bring them in the house after being used to being outside.
    THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET , THE MORE I LOVE MY DOGS.

If you're worried about them being hard to train I say don't be with out trying it first.

I rescued a 10 yr. old shepherd that had been chained outside his whole life. He was one of the easiest dogs to train that I've ever met. (Housetraining - he just was... no training involved, manners around humans, not going in the garbage, etc. was all a cinch.)

Other than going into the garbage this stray street dog has even better house manners than the shepherd did which i didn't think was possible.

As for the other problem would it be possible to build a separate run for Tippy for when Buelah is out there? Anyways i though it would be better to have an all enclosed one because of hawks and stuff if you're not going to keep an eye on her all the time. Small dogs really shouldn't be left unattended anyhow for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by WYA4DOGS
    I lived with my mother and when she went into the nursing home I bought me a smaller house.

Then I wanted a '' Small '' house dog for a watchdog and lap dog since I live alone and wear a hearing aid.
    I did not want to bring them in the house after being used to being outside.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

I have a fenced yard, too. I ran a fence down the middle of the yard to separate it in two. This might work for you. (I also have gates inside at doorways and a doggy door to the yard.)

I do think that both of your older dogs could easily become inside dogs. I have found that formerly-outside dogs almost housetrain themselves. As long as they already have a few reasonable manners, they can be taught house rules.

If Beulah is dominant, you should allow her to be boss of Tippy. Expect a few fights and don't interfere unless you see blood. Beulah will pin Tippy and look like she's going to kill Tippy. A couple of these episodes and Beulah will be confident that she is still the boss. Once Tippy accepts this fact, you shouldn't have any more fights. The hard part is letting them fight it out.

I brought a shelter dog into my small house and he became the dominant one. Both of my other dogs were smaller--Shih Tsu/Poodle & 25 lb Sheepdog--He was 55 lb shepherd mix. After a couple of dandy fights with the sheepdog, the shepherd felt in control and they lived together in relative harmony for 7 years.

I hope my long story will help

Rotate them through the yard. Don't let Beulah and Tippy out together. It's not that hard or that much extra work. One is inside when the other is out. Or split your yard in half, build a pen for Beulah. I have one dog, out of 24, who simply can not get along with any other dog. Kayleigh has her own pen--safer and happier for all of us. The price of her fencing was much cheaper than the vet bills she caused or the guilt I would have had when she killed another dog.

I would disagree with letting them fight it out. You have three female dogs. Females tend to fight very differently than males. Males fight for dominance, maybe over food or resources. They tend to quit when the other dog gives in. Females quit when the other dog is dead or too seriously injured to fight back anymore. Given the size difference between your dogs, it wouldn't take much for Beulah to do some serious damage. Males can go back to being buddies in 10 minutes. Females hold a grudge, often for life.

I have a pack and with three dogs, technically, you do too. I don't care about their pack order. I am the boss of all them and I don't tolerate fighting. Not that it doesn't happen occasionally, but combantants are seperated and punished immediately. A true alpha dog has no need for aggression. My alpha male is an almost 10 year old husky who has never been in a fight in his life. He doesn't have to prove he's dominant, he just is. The dogs who feel they must prove it are Beta Bullies and they are far more trouble than a true alpha dog.

Making an outside dog a house dog is much easier than housetraining a puppy! Almost all of my dogs started their lives as working sled dogs, outside 24/7 and usually tethered. They are still working sled dogs, but they sleep inside and there are no chains in my yard. Housetraining my 9 month old puppy took longer than training a 9 year old sled dog ever has!

WHY WOULD YOU EVEN CONSIDER TAKING THEM TO A SHELTER?!?!?You dont give up JUST because its HARD!!!