Thread: Need help with crate-training!

Need help with crate-training!

Hi all,

Well, we adopted our new dog Murphy this weekend--a very gentle, sweet 2-year-old mutt (we think maybe there's some shepherd/pointer in him--but he's 30 lbs. and fully grown!). So far, he's doing really well. He hasn't had any accidents, and seems content to follow us everywhere--he's still a little clingy.

We'd really like to crate-train him for nighttime and while we're at work. We've been feeding him in the crate, giving him treats to fetch in there, etc. But when we gently place him in the crate at night, praising him, he whines and yelps so loudly--it's like he's being hit! The crate is right at our bedroom door, so he's close to us, but he simply will not stop yelping. We eventually have to take him out because we live in an apartment building, but now he's probably thinking "yelping=being let out."

We've left him alone in the crate twice for about an hour each time, and when we've returned to the apartment, he was quiet--so I think it's a matter of him wanting to be with us when we're actually there (at night). Is there any way we can get him to like his crate and want to sleep there at night, or is it hopeless?

Thanks so much for your help!
    strass (Sleepless in Chicago!)

Why do you want to crate train a 2 year old dog? I assume the dog is already house broken. If he is then get him a pillow or dog bed and lay it next to your bed. He will be the most happy fellow just to be near you.

While you are away at work, I would just section him off in a area with a baby gate if you are worried about him being destructful. If not then give him run of the house.

Thanks Dixie--I'm starting to think the same thing. We thought the crate would be convenient, especially for traveling, and we read all this stuff about how much dogs love crates. But I just called my neighbor (I'm at work half-day today), and he's still yelping, 2.5 hours after we left. I think he's lonely, and probably still scared, but I do wonder if he'd be yelping if he wasn't in the crate (just baby-gated off).

My husband has very mild dog allergies, so we really don't want Murphy to sleep right next to our bed, but we'll try to put his dog bed in our doorway--maybe that will be better.

We just want him to be happy!

Schedule times during the day and advise your neighbors of when you plan on accomplishing this. Keeps good standings with your neighbors.

While you are home do the following:

Command "Kennel up": Place him in his crate for about 1/2 hour. Go outside pull weeds, plant flowers whatever. Ignore him for the 1/2 hour completely. When that half hour is up, release him and give him all that goofy happy praise stuff. Then repeat againfor about another hour. Never give him attention when he whines at anytime. (This is hard and nerve racking for me).

At night however, you might want to relocate the crate outside of your bedroom door (leave door open). Right now he has you trained. If he whinges and whines, ignore him. Don't tell him to ShSh, he wins by getting your attention.

Once you get up, then let him out, with all that goofy praise stuff again. (I let DH do this, as I don't function 1st thing in the morning.), and take him outside.

Dogs do love crates if they are trained on them properly from the time they are a pup. However, if not trained properly or older it is more difficult.

My Dixie has been weaned from the crate but will still go in when we are at a dog show. I can imagine her going nuts though if she wasn't ok with crates and putting her in one.

I hope your baby gets comfortable in his new home soon.

Update: Last night we didn't put Murphy in the crate, and he slept in his bed right outside our door. No whining at all. All three of us were much happier! I don't think he's going to be a crate dog, but I think that's okay. Anyone interested in a brand-new dog crate??

Thanks for your help!

Great news!!! Take the crate back to the dog store and get your money back.

Keep it for traveling purposes.

hmmm....I bought a crate for our aussie for strictly travelling purposes. She is 3 years old... and was never crate trained. She has flown 3 x now and seems to get worse each time. The last time I had to actually push her into the crate at the airport. She doesn't whine, she just looks at me like I'm the worst mom! So I've been trying to get her a little more familiar with the crate at home. She knows now that everytime she goes in the crate and lays down, she gets a treat. It's probably not really the crate that is the problem.. its the flying, I'm not sure. I keep trying though because its either a short 1 hour flight... or a boarding kennel.
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber

Unfortunately, we can't return the crate to the store, because it's been used (it's against Pet Supplies Plus's policy to accept a used crate back. And you can tell it's been used, because Murphy scratched it a little by the door). I suppose we could keep it, but I don't know that we'll ever take Murph with us on plane trips--we don't travel by plane too often, anyway. I think we may try to sell it to someone in our building or put an ad in the paper. He's only been in it three times; it's basically brand new!

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I would recommend keeping it. Especially if he still fits into it. If you plan on driving, you can place him in it (esp if you own a truck). You should never transport a pet on your lap, unrestrained in your truck bed or on the front seat.

Not only that, they make great little storage places for toys, extra boxes etc.