Thread: Miniature Schnauzer?

Miniature Schnauzer?

Has anyone ever owned a Miniature Schnauzer before? I'm getting one in August, but I don't know what to expect!! Please help!! Oh, and when I get him,
    he'll be 2 and a half months old!!

Hi, I've never owned one, but my nephews have one. I've never seen it, but from what they say it's extremely hyper! They are very cute dogs though. They like to play and cahse a lot--I know that I've read some about them, but never had one so can't really give you any personal advice, but I think they're quite a lot of people here that have one?? i think) and they should be able to help you out here good luck!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help!!! I keep you updated on my pup's condition!! The breeder lets me come over to see the Miniature Schnauzer pups every 2 weeks!!
    The puppies are now 5 weeks and 4 days old!!

I don't have one but I want to get one. My friend has a 1 year old male. He is the cutest guy and his eyes and ears are so expressive. His ears are natural, meaning they are not docked and it's so cute when he flicks his ears this way and that.The are very playful and do love to chase but they are also devoted to their human companions. Mini Schnauzers can be barky but their bark sounds more like they're talking to you. They bark when someone at the door but they can be trained to bark or not bark at your command. They are obedient and intelligent but very aware of their surroundings. They were originally bred to chase rats and guard children during war times so any time they see something small and fast they'll chase after it. They're relatively healthy but tend to have sensitive skin and allergies. They are also prone to liver disease. Hopefully the one you are getting is from a good breeder and from good lines.They don't shed butrequire regular grooming. If you want the coat to remain wiry then I would suggest you find a groomer who hand strips dog's coats. If you get him clipped he'll lose the wiriness and the fur will become the typical soft fur. As soon as I met my friend's Schnauzer, I knew I had to get one. Good luck and I look forward to hearing more about yours!

Oh boy a new addition on the way, lucky you, how exciting!

Here is the link to the AKC
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_schnauzer/

And here is the link to the AKC breed club.
    http://amsc.us/
    Some of the links on the left will interest you. The second one down, "Min Schnauzer," tells about the breed. Further down, you will see a link for Pet Grooming. You may also want to review the health links and ask the breeder which if any of the tests have alredy been done. Mark down the results for your pup.

Here is another site: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/miniatureschnauzer.htm
    This one mentions that the breed gains weight easily, so be careful what and how ften you feed.

And another site with info on health, grooming, and care:
    http://www.minschnauzer.com/

The point being, you have TIME now; if you think you will have time once you have your puppy, forget it! You are going to want to spend all your time with your new baby, and that is the way it should be! But by reading some of this stuff now, you can make a list of questions to ask the breeder during one of your visits! Go visit some groomers' now, while you don't need them. I visited 4 groomers before Sugar even arrived, and three of them I knew I would NEVER use, just by what I observed. No need to be doing all this when you have the dog. (As it turned out, I now use a groomer I hadn't even visited duing the prep time; but I still learned a LOT in those early visits.)

Finally, I'll give you this information station link:
    http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/index....ational%20mark

Don't be turned off because it is a bichon site; many of the essays apply to ALL dogs! Scroll down, watching the far left column, until you see "Grooming." Under that are some essays on what to look for and how to choose a groomer. I really got lots of insight from those.

Best wishes! Oh, and stock up NOW on camera batteries, film or storage, and all that good stuff. We want photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover1004
    Has anyone ever owned a Miniature Schnauzer before? I'm getting one in August, but I don't know what to expect!! Please help!! Oh, and when I get him,
    he'll be 2 and a half months old!!

I have one .. What would you like to know about them?

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

Sorry, the original person was banned for being too young to belong.

I should of figured that lol

Jennifer & Johnnie the wild child

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers -

I have never personally owned a mini Schnauzer before.. bet I have met ALOT of them. Some have awesome personalities, but some have a slightly more aggressive attitude.. Most are a pleasure to groom though, i find.. My grandmother has owned a couple, but hers are always pretty agressive.. I believe its all in how to train your dog, and socialize him/her from a young age helps ALOT.
    Congrats on your puppy, make sure to post pics when you bring him/her home .
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven