Thread: hair loss on chest

hair loss on chest

my friends dog got some roofing tar spilled on her and the hair was "plucked out". The hair grew back, but then all fell out. There was a period of several months between the tar accident and the hair then falling out after growing back. Her skin doesn't looked really inflammed or bright red. What could possibly have caused this? is it possibly ringworm or something? maybe damage from the tar accident? any thoughts are much appreciated

Has the dog seen a vet? Closest way to an anwer.

If the owner wants to try supplementing, use of arthritis formula such as glucosamine chondroitin with MSM helps by nourishing skin cells. Also give fish oil, such as Salmon oil to help balance out the Omega 3s. If the dog's food includes commercial additive of this, the skin may still be stressed enough to need a boost.

Sometimes thinning hair is caused by low thyroid. So vet check that includes a thyroid check can help. The dog may have no other thyroid symptoms and be awesomely healthy, but the lower level does get a boost from thyroid supplementation and the skin and coat improves. Don't rule it out.

Maybe removing the tar by plucking caused some tar residue to get into the skin layer. I don't know. I usually remove sticky stuff from my dogs with peanut butter (use smooth, although we do joke that chunky gives better grip!), or baby oil (messier cos it flows everywhere). Vaseline has also worked for some, also less messy than fluid oil. Also some of the orange oil sprays that are safe for skin can work too. I'm sure there are others.
    Semavi Lady Visit the blog!