Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Winkie

Poor Winkie

I was clipping his nails tonight and I cut 2 too short. When he squeaked, I knew what I had done. Fortunately, I have a steptic pencil in the bathroom cabinet so I immediately applied it. It took a while for the bleeding to stop. I gave him lots of fruit and cheese yogurt drops. I hope he forgives me.

I feel SOOOO bad! Anyone have any advice as to how I trim his nails without hurting him??

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Im sure the extra treats made it up for him!

Ive been told to file the nails down with a nail file or use baby scissors or to even put a brick in their cage under the water bottle so they can wear it down whilst drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy4paws

Ive been told to file the nails down with a nail file or use baby scissors or to even put a brick in their cage under the water bottle so they can wear it down whilst drinking.

I use a nail file with Valintine... Tho one time my friend's mom clipped them... Filing is much easier

Filing sounds like a good idea if he'll stay still. I'm sure he forgave you after all the extra lovin'.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

No ideas for preventing it as I don't have the experience. BUT, if you DO clip one too short, you can also stick the paw in a small bowl of flour to stop the bleeding!

And WHY did you have to cut TWO? After I snip one too short, I usually stop on the dogs and cats; figure I am too tired or whatever!

He's just so wiggly. I'm going to try and find a brick to put in his tank. I would imagine that filing would be just as difficult as clipping because he is to active.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

I bet after all those Treats Winkie probably didn't even care about what had happened, and possibly even forgot it lol.

I dont' know about clipping the nails or not, when I go to clip my rabbits nails, if I get the 'gut feeling' that I may be cutting too close to the skin, then I stop and move away from it.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Nails

I think you should go to the Vet, so he can do it! But, if you can't then just cut up to the point that you think its safe!

winkie looks like he has white nails, so it should be easy to tell where to cut. there should be a pink line running down the nail. this is the blood vessel. use toenail clippers and make sure to cut just after it. leave more room if you are worried. i have done it so many times it is down to an art. it works for rabbits, guinea pigs, and rats. it is more difficult when the nails are dark, as you cannot see the blood vessel running through it. if you look under the nail, you should see the nail type change near the ends, this is the part of the nail that can be cut. always leave a couple of millimetres as a safety net. these tricks work every time for me. it takes a while to get the hang of it because you will start off slow and the animal may pull their claw away while you are clipping, and they can lose there nail. (hasn't happened to me, but it can happen) just make sure to line it up properly before you clip. i also just apply a tiny bit of pressure with the clippers before going for the full cut. if they jump, move the clippers further down the nail.

you can file if you dont feel confident in clipping, but it does take longer and winkie may get agitated. if you follow these steps properly, it will become so easy, you can get it down in about 1 minute. Hope this helps.

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.

also, cheese is not good for rats as they cannot properly digest it. if you want a good treat, go for corn. it makes them crazy.

BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

Wow! Cheese isn't good for rats?? I didn't know that! I give him cheese flavored yogurt drops that are made for rats.

It's not that I don't know how to clip his nails. It's just he's so WIGGLY that he makes it very difficult.

yeah, if they are made for rats it should be fine.

I know what you mean. when i cut my rats nails they used to wiggle a lot. some more than others. i just try to hold them upside down, and close to me body. or you could sit down and lay them upside down in the crevass between your legs.

if your rat bites though, you are gonna have a tough time. lol. mine never bit, unless they were snapping for food.

BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    No ideas for preventing it as I don't have the experience. BUT, if you DO clip one too short, you can also stick the paw in a small bowl of flour to stop the bleeding!

And WHY did you have to cut TWO? After I snip one too short, I usually stop on the dogs and cats; figure I am too tired or whatever!

i was wondering the same thing. how did you manage to cut two nails too short? did you cut 2 at once or made the 2nd mistake after the other nail stopped bleeding?

BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

made the 2nd mistake after the other nail stopped bleeding?
    That's it.

I think people are trying to make something of nothing here.

Rats really are so wiggly so accidents do happen and Moosmom done the right thing by having the powder nearby incase of an accident.

You should try the brick it really works really well and it very cheap too.

Also the cheese yoguart drop will be fine dont worry. My rat eats nearly everything. I believe anything is ok as long as its keep down to a minimum and not given too often. If they are designed for rats they should be fine the guideline for feeding should be on the back. I believe it the dairy in cheese thats meant to be bad for then but most treats for rats are made so the ingredients avoid dairy so dont worry at all. One thing I've never given Ronnie is orange, its meant to be very very bad for male rats.