Thread: My cat won't poop in the litter box

My cat won't poop in the litter box

I have two 3-year old cats (sisters). Until recently, they both used the litter box without a problem. A few months ago, one of them started pooping on the floor outside the room where the litter box is. I suspected it was because she couldn't fit through the cat flap very well to get to the litter box (she has gained some weight and the cat flap was really small). I've tried everything since then, leaving the door open, installing a larger cat door, getting a larger box, using the cover for the box, taking the cover off, changing the litter 2 times a week instead of just once, trying a new type of litter, scolding her when I catch her, etc. But nothing helps. She does use the box to pee and I know that this is not a medical problem. I use wood pellets as litter which they have used since they were born. It is possible that she's just suddenly become picky about how clean the litter is and I'd have to change it at least every second day to keep it spotless.

Although, I think I can keep the litter clean enough, I suspect she is now just in the habit of going on the carpet. She mostly does it when I'm not home or when I'm sleeping so it's hard to catch her. Can anyone tell me how I can break her of this habit?

Thanks,
    Kristi

You might want to have the vet look at your kitty and also have a parasite check done on the poop.

One possible cause can also be constipation. One of our hospital's cats has problems with that if she doesn't get her cat laxitive she'll poop in her kitty bed. My cat Jack will poop next to the sandbox when he's constipated really bad, but then again he's been diagnosed with mega colon also, so I know it's a medical problem with him.

Either way a good check up with the vet is a great start to rule out medical problems first, then work on any behavior problems if everything checks out ok, your vet should be able to help you with that also.

Good luck

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. I've only had this problem with my cat Starr and he has colitis and food allergies that cause him to sometimes have diarrhea and mushy poos so he sometimes can't make it to the litterboxes in time. I agree that you should take your cat to the vet for a check up.

I've found that my cats prefer open litterboxes instead of the ones with the hoods on them. I buy ex-large/jumbo litterboxes that have high sides to them so they can't kick litter every where or pee over the top of them. I've also been putting cat attract litter on top of the regular litter that I use and my cats seem to like this a lot. You can buy it online or at Petsmart.

How old is your litterbox? If the litterbox is very old then sometimes this will also be a reason for a cat not using the box. They can become sratched up and just smell bad to your cat. I also cleaned all of my older boxes with soap and water and now my cats have been using them much more. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems. I've only had this problem with my cat Starr and he has colitis and food allergies that cause him to sometimes have diarrhea and mushy poos so he sometimes can't make it to the litterboxes in time. I agree that you should take your cat to the vet for a check up.

I've found that my cats prefer open litterboxes instead of the ones with the hoods on them. I buy ex-large/jumbo litterboxes that have high sides to them so they can't kick litter every where or pee over the top of them. I've also been putting cat attract litter on top of the regular litter that I use and my cats seem to like this a lot. You can buy it online or at Petsmart.
    You beat me to it! That stuff is worth every penny. Allen used to use the carpet beside my litter box every day - often twice a day. Very frustraing. Once I used Cat Attract the problem went away. I now am on Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter. Still as good as his Cat Attract but half the price. Whenever someone starts going outside the box again I replace one box with the Cat Attract. I sing Dr. Elsey's praises. Best litter on the face of hte planet. No more litterbox accidents!!!

I used to scoop 3, 4 times a day and he still pooped next to the box. Now I scoop just once a day (woohoo!) and there's never any problem. No smell. No upset kitties. and very little dust. I swear, its the best litter out there (and no I am not paid to say this )

Oh, I'd also add at least one more box if you have the room.

My Cat Won't Poop In The Kitty Litter

Quote Originally Posted by kittiei
    I have two 3-year old cats (sisters). Until recently, they both used the litter box without a problem. A few months ago, one of them started pooping on the floor outside the room where the litter box is. I suspected it was because she couldn't fit through the cat flap very well to get to the litter box (she has gained some weight and the cat flap was really small). I've tried everything since then, leaving the door open, installing a larger cat door, getting a larger box, using the cover for the box, taking the cover off, changing the litter 2 times a week instead of just once, trying a new type of litter, scolding her when I catch her, etc. But nothing helps. She does use the box to pee and I know that this is not a medical problem. I use wood pellets as litter which they have used since they were born. It is possible that she's just suddenly become picky about how clean the litter is and I'd have to change it at least every second day to keep it spotless.

Although, I think I can keep the litter clean enough, I suspect she is now just in the habit of going on the carpet. She mostly does it when I'm not home or when I'm sleeping so it's hard to catch her. Can anyone tell me how I can break her of this habit?

Thanks,
    Kristi

Ok, I have had the same trouble with my cat. I have 4 cats who share a kitty litter box. When she poops have you checked for worms? It probably wouldn't hurt to take her to the vet just to rule that out if you haven't already done it. Tape worms or hook worms are hard to catch. Clean the kitty litter as often as you can. I would Advise Tidy Cat for multiable cats in the bucket with the blue lid. Buy a scoop if you don't already scoop out the kitty litter and scoop it as much as possible. Change the kitty litter 1-2 times a week. If she is going to the room that she is supposed to, she could be trying to tell you something. Keep putting her in the kitty litter box and just to be safe do your other cat that way also since you haven't actually caught her. Try getting 2 kitty litter boxes if that doesn't work. It could be one of your kitties don't want to share the litter box. Just some ideas. Hope they help. If not, hang in there. I am sure you will find the right solution.
    Sissybritches