Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dusty, my friend for 12 years, is gone *UPDATE - pix of Dusty's beautiful urn!*

Dusty, my friend for 12 years, is gone *UPDATE - pix of Dusty's beautiful urn!*

As some of you know, my oldest cat Dusty has not been taking her aging well recently. We've had her on glucosamine supplements for a number of years. Early this year she'd lost so much mobility and muscle mass that walking was painful and difficult. Cats lack the ability to take most pain medication without major side effects, unlike dogs. With the consent of her vet, we gave her injections for her pain, however after a few shots it didn't seem to be working for her anymore. Out of desparation to help my aging friend, we put her on pain pills which were pretty much experimental in cats at best (equivilent of Darvacet in humans). She started developing signs of a failing liver and congestive heart failure, probably because of the medication, however she was walking much better and seemed more comfortable.

About three weeks ago the congestive heart failure caused her to accumulate fluid in her abdomen to the point of pushing her spleen out of position. We put her on a diuretic (sp?) to rid her aging body of the excess fluids and pressure on her organs.

About two weeks ago she started sleeping alot and drinking alot of water. Her vet said her heart failure was getting worse and she had a very very fast heart rate. We increased the dosage of diruretic (sp?).

Last Wednesday night she had an episode of very labored fast breathing. I sat and talked with her late into the night asking her if it was her 'time' yet. I got the feeling it probably was, but I didn't want to let her go yet, I figured I'd let her vet decide. I stayed up very very late crying over her, talking to her, and petting her. I took her back to her vet last Thursday, thinking we might have to put her to sleep that day. The vet said we could try increasing the diuretic (sp?) and in a few days we'd know if it would help. I set up the appointment to have her put to sleep in a week. I've been taking alot of pix of Dusty since then knowing they'd be her last ones. I spent alot of time with her every day knowing she wasn't going to be with me much longer.

We gave her the injections, and her pain pills. Friday we took her to my mom's trailer in a campground where Dusty has always loved to go. She seemed to enjoy the car ride there but slept through most of the areas she'd previously enjoyed looking at. In her younger years when we'd pull in she would stand up in the dash and meow in glee, this time she just sat there looking in silence.

In her younger years she'd jump out of the car when I'd open the door, and run up to the door. We don't let her jump anymore so I set her on the ground, and for the first time ever, she didn't have the strength to make the walk to the door herself, so I set her up on the deck and she did manage to walk across the deck and into the door though. I knew this was her last time to be there. I spent alot of time with her brushing her, talking to her, cuddling her, and giving her the people food I'd never let her have before. I let her do whatever she wanted to do, and helped her say goodbye to all the things there she'd always loved to do and see. She slept alot there, but she did want to be put in the cupboard to explore, did play once and watched some birds from the door a couple times. She took one very short walk for about 5 minutes, but other than that, she slept the remainder of the weekend.

I brought her home last night and she was basically sleeping for most of the drive instead of looking around like normal. I gave her the diuretic (sp?) shot late last night. Shortly after the shot she started very labored fast breathing, and a slight wheeze in her nose which she'd not done before. I burst into tears (which I'm not prone to do until recently), and called the ER animal hospital to see if it had anything to do with the shot I gave her. They said it didn't, and most probably she just got upset and had the start of a resperatory infection causing the wheezing (she did sneeze once or twice this weekend and is prone to sinus problems). I was still in a crying fit and finally drove over to my mom's house and woke her up convinced that we'd have to take Dusty to the ER. By the time we got back to my house Dusty was resting somewhat more comfortably but extremely tired. Between my mom and hubby they got me calmed down enough I could go to sleep.

I thought I had 4 more days with my furry baby, but apparently it was not meant to be. My good byes I said with her at the campground this weekend would have to be good enough. My poor old Dusty was suffering and I just couldn't put her or me though anymore nights like that until Thursday.

She meowed good morning to me when I went in her room, and half heartedly ate breakfast, she looked tired. At lunchtime I brushed her and gave her some more people food which she only licked at. I said a goodbye to her before left for work again knowing her time was short. According to my mom who came over to be with Dusty while I worked, Dusty slept most of the day in her basket.

Today at 4:40 p.m. with tears streaming down my face, I took my longtime furry companion to the vet for the last time. I had already asked a special person there who Dusty knows to be the one to hold and comfort her for her last moments on earth, because I knew I couldn't. I cried over her while carrying her in, kissed her head, and gave her one last hug before handing her over to the vet assistant. Dusty went to her willingly and I petted her goodbye for the last time. As I stood back a step, Dusty meowed in concern. I couldn't bear to hear her crying for me, I turned and ran out of the building sobbing the whole way to the car. I know Dusty is not in pain anymore and no longer suffering. I feel bad I couldn't be with her, but I know how she struggles and cries when we draw blood, and I didn't want my last memories of her to be of her fighting while the vet put her to sleep.

I came home and cried for about an hour. The other cats were scared, not knowing why I was so upset and didn't know what was going on. I've been spending the rest of the evening looking at all the pix of Dusty over the years and crying on and off. My heart is breaking, my eyes and nose are raw from wiping the tears from my face.

Dusty was 17 years old. She wandered into my life and my heart on July 25, 1995 at 5 years of age, and left my heart with an empty hole today July 2, 2007. 12 years just wasn't long enough to be with her, and I'm going to miss her very very much. While I love my other cats also, there will never be another like Dusty.

Dusty 1995

Last edited by Catlady711; 07-06-2007 at 01:16 PM.

Dusty 1997-2006

Last edited by Catlady711; 07-02-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Dusty's last weekend

Dusty's last meals today

Dusty's last picture

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I am so sorry. Your story has me bawling. Someday I will have to go through this exact same thing with my Taz. I know it will be extremely difficult. But we just have to remember they are in a better place now and out of pain. I know you probably don't need to hear all this right now.
    Those pictures you shared are wonderful. Great ways to bring up memories of your time with Dusty.

RIP Sweet Dusty.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I'm so very sorry. You gave Dusty 12 wonderful years and you had this extra special weekend with her that I'm sure you will never forget. I'm glad you had that time with her.

Rest in Peace sweet Dusty. Please look for my RB doggie Disney. I lost her on this very date two years ago. She always like cats.

From Decker with Love

I just finished reading through the whole thread on CG when I saw your final post. Words cannot express how sorry I am on the loss of your beloved Dusty. What a beautiful tribute and such lovely pictures of your adorable girl.

Our pets are our teachers, both in life and in death. The memories and the love will always be with us and their pawprints will remain forever in our hearts.

She lived a long life of 17 years, but she had the last 12 best years of her life with you.

Rest in Peace dear Dusty.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} Cattlady711

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I am so sorry to hear that Dusty left for the Bridge early. I'm so glad that you both had the camping over the weekend, and you were able to spend the extra time with her.

Feel better at the Bridge Dusty. Now you can run and play and feel like a kitten again. Watch over your meowmie, she's going to need you in the coming days.

CatLady711, {{{Hugs}}} to you.

I'm so sorry to hear that Dusty had to leave you sooner than expected. Now she's pain free and playing like a kitten again up at Rainbow Bridge. You did the unselfish thing by letting her go and I'm sure that you'll see each other again some day. RIP sweet Dusty. Please take care of yourself. (((HUGS)))

In spite of your fears, I hope Dusty's passing was peaceful...she was with someone she knew.

I hurt for you, but am glad Dusty didn't have to suffer any longer.

{{{{hugs}}}}
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sweet Dusty, play hard at the RB. Your meowmie misses you very much.

RIP little girl.
    Loving meowmie to Archy & Binky (RIP my sweet boy 10/13/10)

=^..^=

I

What a lovely cat Dusty was, and your photos show how interested she was in everything around her. She had a full life and it is so sad that her time had come, but Dusty sounds as though she was ready to go.

Rest in peace beautiful girl.

Thank you for sharing such precious memories of dusty with us. She truely was a wonderful companion. She has left paw prints on your heart and I hope that the fact that she lived such a good life with you will help you with your grieving.
    RIP Dusty

I am sorry for the loss of your beloved kitty, Dusty. She had a good life with you.

I am so sorry. He sounds like such a wonderful friend and companion. RIP Dusty.
    Spoiled child, bad
    Spoiled cat, good