Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had an idea yesterday (uh oh)

I had an idea yesterday (uh oh)

When I went to Town Lake to see the little injured Poodle, I started thinking that I'd really like to do Poodle rescue. The woman who formerly did it for our city has recently left the state. I just don't have the resources right now to start my own rescue group so I got a plan.

I emailed the Poodle rescue in Dallas and asked if they needed an Austin branch. I could foster and pull Poodles from the kill shelters here.

I hope they say yes! I would have so much fun. I never know what to do with myself when I don't have a sick or sad little foster to help. When I was on the phone with a friend, telling her the plan, Reece perked right up and started bouncing around. I think he loves the idea too
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

You're a good girl aly!! I admire your spunk! Good luck with the adventure.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Aly, you were suppose to relax today and enjoy your freedom!
    Poodle rescue that would be a plan. I hope it goes through.

Aly that is an awesome plan! The only drawback would be (for me anyway) in time a houseful of poodles!!! HA! Seriously, I know that you would be wonderful for such an undertaking. Watch out, though, as this may be the path that leads to doggie #3. But then, there's nothing wrong with that! Oh, and I think that was Reece's way of saying "go for it Mom!"

Still no reply...

If they say no, I have another idea: Senior dog rescue.

I had been trying for the past year to get permission from my work to start a foster program with people who will foster senior dogs (we usually don't take them if if they're over 5, but there are exceptions). Then once or twice a month, we could take the dogs to Retirement communities for Adoption days.

I would really love to start this on my own now. I just need to find people to help me and figure out how to fund it.
    Alyson

Aly, have you thought about writing a proposal for a grant to start your rescue group?! That may be a way to start up. I am sure you will be able to find people to help foster and pull out from the shelter. Having a vet friend could also help.

I have a friend that writes proposals for grants. That's her job. I can ask her if she thinks it will work.

Thanks Souraya... I've never done anything like that so any advice is much appreciated!

Hey.. what about Senior Poodle Rescue?
    Alyson

Go for it, aly!!! Sounds great! Good luck!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Good luck!! Sounds like a grand idea.. - Rachel
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Oh Aly, what a wonderful idea, and I do wish you well.

As a rescue volunteer, I would recommend first and foremost, you volunteer full time at a rescue shelter first. Attend pet CPR and First aid classes, spend time with your vet to get aquainted with the types of parasites, diseases, and ailments, you will run across. Read books about the breed you plan on working with to become familiar with common problems, temperament, and health issues specific to this breed. Then attend obedience courses all the way to the advanced courses. This way you will be familiar with the proper handling and treatment of those hard cases. Check you finances to ensure you can provide all necessary medical, dental, and routine feedings and medications. Make sure you have the proper training to evaluate dogs to ensure they are not a danger to others, that the people you place them with are going to give them permanent safe homes, and not adopt for all the wrong reasons. Be prepared to go to court. Be prepared for the emotional downs you will experience caused by their "humans". Be prepared to work 24/7 with no break. Know your laws in your state pertaining to rescuing/placing dogs. There are some strict laws out there we are not aware of.

The shelter owner I volunteer at, has missed many family events because of her dedication to the animals she rescues. She tell everyone, ... If I can get one dog adopted today, then I have done something worthwhile..." She also spends a very large portion of her personal finances in funding rescue. Even after 15+ years of the business.

Please, please spend a lot of time volunteering at these places, there is alot more involved than just taking a dog in, and placing it. I applaud your effort, but I'm not going to candy coat the responsibility either. The affects of inexperience can snowball, and cause more harm than good especially to those you try to help.

I've been working heavily in the rescue field for several years. Its been my whole life in fact so I'm well aware of the sacrifices and the work I have done everything from raising bottle babies to obedience to taking care of special needs animals. I've taken both of my dogs through obedience and almost always have a shelter dog going through the class. I worked full time as an adoption counselor and know how to screen for new homes. I have gotten to be quite the expert on denying people and will have no problems telling someone they are not the right match for an animal. I am also quite used to the hostile remarks that come after that. I am willing to sacrifice anything to get an animal to the right home. I already have sacrificed my life to the job.

I also know the costs related to rescue. You should read my Nookie thread I spent a TON of money on him and .. well ick thats a long story and I don't wanna go into it again. Way too emotional.

I've had some internships with dog behaviorists and learned a ton about temperament testing through them. I am a big fan of Sue Sternberg and have almost all of her video tapes.

I appreciate your warning though!!
    Alyson

Thank you Aly. One unfortunate thing about being a newbie, is you don't really get to know about a person until you begin to regularly post.

Then with that all being said, and I'm not really a dream crusher:

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll get to know everyone in no time. Then before too long when you see certain dog breeds on the street, it'll remind you of someone on the Pet Talk board

I'm glad to have someone else here who so deeply cares about rescue! Welcome!!
    Alyson

Originally posted by aly
    before too long when you see certain dog breeds on the street, it'll remind you of someone on the Pet Talk board
    ain't that the truth!?! lol

You got that right aly!! Btw....WHAT ABOUT ME CARING ABOUT RESCUE??? HEHEHEHE

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!