Thread: Cat snoring? Is this normal??

Cat snoring? Is this normal??

Ok, I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is snoring, but I think it is. Zachariah is a very large boy. He had been 25lbs when his previous owners dropped him off at our shelter (TWICE). He stopped eating there, and lost weight. Since he's been with me, he's maintained the 18-20lb range. He's a large boy, but not fat. Just really husky and looks like a bouncer at a night club, lol!

The thing is, he snores A LOT! I can always tell when he's in the room sleeping because he is just so loud with his snoring. He did have a really bad URI when I first took him in, and it didn't go away for about a month. It was very persistent, and I think all the upheaval just made his immune system weak.

Is it normal for big boys to snore, or is this something that the vet should check out. I've never had a cat that was this large before, nor have any of them snored before. I'd don't want to over react, but I don't want to dismiss it when it could be a symptom of another problem.

Any ideas on this??

Both Eddie and Edwina snore. Please don't tell them I have shared this fact.

Speckles (RIP) used to snore like a lawn mower. Max snores too but it's a soft snore....probably much softer than mine!!!

If Zach's input and output along with energy level is fine, then I would not worry about it.

May I please kiss that sweet facie???
    KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS KISS
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I've heard that snoring in humans can come from nasal polyps or something. Maybe get the vet to have an extra check for them next time Zack sees him.

Meantime, I highly recommend foam ear plugs! Look for them at a drugstore, or in the noisy-power-tools department of any hardware store!

(Zack is SOOOOO huggable! )
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Found this on a quick Google search - interesting.

Why Does My Cat Snore

Our cat snores so loud, sometimes it wakes us up.

Nevertheless, it's hard to get mad at her when she's sleeping so soundly. Which, turns out, is one of the reasons why cats snore.

Yep, when they are completely relaxed and trust their people, that cat nap can start to sound like a train coming through.

Also if something is irritating the passage or blocked in there, this can hinder the breathing too. Usually a cat sneeze will get rid of the offending irritant, but sometimes if not everything is pushed out, cat snoring can occur due to the blockage.

Other reasons could be:

.Allergies

.Postnasal drip

.Being overweight

.Polyps which are growths that can form in the breathing passageways and block the airway when kitty relaxes and falls asleep.

.Asthma

.Even hairballs.

If while snoring, he is showing signs of excessive breathing problems such as hacking, gagging, wheezing (especially around heavy pollen times) or very overweight, you may want to take her to your family pet health care provider.

In the meantime, while your cat is cuttin' logs, consider it a compliment of high cat order that they trust you so much to sleep so deeply-if not quietly-with you.

Well, that explains it I guess. Speckles was and I am overweight....
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Heck, Slick - blame it on hairballs!

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    Well, that explains it I guess. Speckles was and I am overweight....
    Same here, lol. I was told that I snore as well, although I could also blame it on my asthma or allergies

He doesn't seem to struggle with breathing at all. I'll take him in for a check up anyway... can't hurt. Rather be careful than not...

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    \
    Meantime, I highly recommend foam ear plugs! Look for them at a drugstore, or in the noisy-power-tools department of any hardware store!

(Zack is SOOOOO huggable! )
    Eh, won't go the earplug route.. it's almost a comforting sound to hear for me. I know he's there and he's safe and happy.

And yes, he is VERY huggable! He usually gives out these grunts when you snuggle him up really tight, lol. He's just a big ol' lug!

Firstly, Zach is just adorable! That furry belly is just calling for a tickle!

One of my two (Louie) has a tendancy of snoring. We mentioned it at his yearly jab and check up session and she said that there wasn't anything blocking anywhere, it just meant that he feels safe in our environment and can totally relax....aaahhhh how sweet!!
    Mandy

Kittycats_delight (Michelle) thanks for the great signature!

What an ORANGEMAN delight Zach is!! Yes, our dear Boo(RIP)snored, and she had none of the mentioned problems. Raven, a Persian, snores. But I think that is because of her FLAT face!!! I agree about the ear plugs!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

My RB Pepper snored and I think it was because he was overweight or had allergies. Sky is the only one that snores now. Sometimes his nose will make a whistling sound. He seems stuffy and congested to me and has been sneezing off and on for about a week and it happens every year during the month of June. I'm going to ask my vet about him tomorrow.

Zach sure is a handsome boy. So is he a keeper?

Wow, Zach is HandSOME!

Chestnut snores, mostly when he is in a deep sleep. If you touch him he barely notices, and if he does, he is so groggy he flops back into sleep and I doubt he even remembers looking.

I think it is normal in some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    Zach sure is a handsome boy. So is he a keeper?

UGH!! Every time I think he's doing really well, he beats the crap out of Boris or Sophie!! Then I get all ticked off and put him in Privilege Denial (the basement, lol). However I don't think that is working well, because now he stands at the basement door waiting to go down.

I absolutely, truly adore him. I don't think he is going anywhere anytime soon! Unless he wreaks total havoc and causes bloodshed, I think he's gonna be a keeper. How can you not resist this sweet face?!

Or not love watching him so peaceful as he sleeps??

Oh yeah, I'd say he is a keeper.

My Taz snored when he was heavier and he still kinda does, lightly. Sometimes even Zoee snores, so I've got three snorers to deal with.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)