Thread: Parakeet in my backyard!

Parakeet in my backyard!

We have a parakeet flying around the area. It has been in my back yard a few times. We've seen it up on the shed roof (can't reach up there) never on the ground.

Should I try to catch it? How? I have some wild bird seed which I put out in winter. Will that attract it? Will that hurt it?

The weather has been fine this week, but I know that long term, it won't survive.

Any ideas, or should I leave it be?

I've heard leaving an empty bird cage with food in it can sometimes attract birds that have escaped. (I'm assuming this one was a pet at one time) I've also heard that drenching a bird with hose will make it unable to fly, so you could catch it. (I would use that as a last resort, being drenched with cold water doesn't sound too pleasant!)

Chrissy [human] Snowy [bichon/maltese] Buttons ['tiel] Bubbles [CT betta]

-the zoo crew-
    RIP Taffy, Fluffy, Rainbow, Sushi, and The Fishies
    thatDARNhorse <3

A parakeet or a budgerigar? BIG difference in what type of food you should put out. If it's a budgie perhaps you could sit still, close your eyes, and whistle softly? Wait patiently. (No, I'm not joking.)

The food in the cage sounds like a decent idea. (IF you have a cage laying around.) The food itself isn't that expensive... except that the wild birds would want to munch on it also.

Have you tried looking in your local classifieds to see if anyone is looking for it. To post a found ad is usually free. Even if you don't have the bird in your possession sometimes a bird will come down for its owner.

Maybe try posting it on http://www.petfinder.com/post/classifiedhop.html . Or http://www.birdhotline.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    We have a parakeet flying around the area. It has been in my back yard a few times. We've seen it up on the shed roof (can't reach up there) never on the ground.

Should I try to catch it? How? I have some wild bird seed which I put out in winter. Will that attract it? Will that hurt it?

The weather has been fine this week, but I know that long term, it won't survive.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

i would try the bird cage first then if that dosent work you willl have to drench it that is what i did when i rescued a bird and i got out the house drenched it tottaly trying not to wet its face and then i got it as quikly as possible then put it in my sweater took it home dryed it up with a towel and kept it warm for a while

Hey thanks for all the suggestions. My next door neighbor has a cage, used to have birds. So I will see if I can borrow that for a day or so, try to lure it in. Of course, ithas NOT been around AT ALL today.

Parakeet, Budgerigar, sorry, I don't know the difference. I did check Wikipedia, the photos look the same; and it says "American English" uses the 2 words interchangeably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parakeet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar

Looks like the green one in the photos.

We do here in the U.S. but i just thought you should know in case you were looking on bird forums also.

I just remember hearing a while back that Budgies are the only bird called a "Parakeet" that actually aren't one. (Like calling a panda a bear.)

Now you know to look at both ads that say Budgie or Parakeet.

Parakeet, Budgerigar, sorry, I don't know the difference. I did check Wikipedia, the photos look the same; and it says "American English" uses the 2 words interchangeably.
    and remember... Use Wikipedia as a starting point for information. It is just user entered information after all.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

If you live in South Florida this is quite common. Leave out a cage with food and water in it and sit and wait for it then close the door

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatata6
    If you live in South Florida this is quite common. Leave out a cage with food and water in it and sit and wait for it then close the door
    Check her "Location" she's in Rhode Island.

Good luck, let us know how it goes! Maybe if you don't see it again, it'll mean it found its way home!

Thank you again to everyone.

As happens, we haven't seen the bird even ONCE since I posted initially.

Awwwe. Hopefully he made his way home.

Still, it was good of you to post.

It probably hasn't made it's way home. Sadly lost birds usually die if they aren't captured. Thanks for trying though.

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace