Thread: A sad seal story

A sad seal story

I am posting this link because I have always thought the idea of a wishing well is very strange. Some people will throw coins into almost any public tiny man-made basin of water such as decorative water fountain surrounded by a tiny pond. When Karen and I were in China we saw a version of the same thing in one of the Ming tombs. Most people don't participate, however, the surface will be littered with money anyway.

From Aftenposten (Norwegian news in English)
    Little Moses the seal has died at the aquarium in Bergen, Norway because of the coins people threw.

Does anyone here read Norwegian?

Paul

Former User Guest
    That's so sad, poor seal. It's a nice thought to wish him well by throwing those coins, but honestly, didn't it ever cross the people's mind that the seal(s) might eat the coins? And even if they didn't eat those coins, the coins end up causing harm anyway when being in touch with the bottom of the pool, and then releasing harmful 'chemicals'...

Poor seal, I hope this taught something to us.

I wish I could find their website, or a way we could all contect the aquarium to tell them they need to stop people from throwing coins in - right now! Not just to "consider ways" just to do it!

They should put up a sign, explaining that "Little Moses died because of it, don't throw coins, you will kill more seals!"

Their website is here. There is a small section of the site that is in English.

Paul

OMG, that's horrible!!!!!!! I've seen that sort of thing before too, but never heard of an animal actually dying from it

I'm gonna write them a letter today and ask them what they are doing to prevent this from happening again. Swedish is so close to Norwegian so they will understand me no problem.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

Thank you, Ann!

What a sad, sad story! How could Moses' keepers not think of the coins!? I have never thrown money into wells or fountains. If I have a money to spare on a wish, I would much rather give that money to a charity.

How sad! I have never thrown coins in fountains but at a push I can understand why people do it but in an acquarium???? The thought would have never even crossed my mind. I agree this should be stopped before anything else happens.

Well, I emailed them last evening and gave them my condolences for little Moses passing, and asked them what they will be doing to prevent things like this in the future.

I will let you all know what they say when/if them mail me back.

Oh, how sad Poor, sweet, Moses. Bless you dear one. Hopefully this will not happen again. Thanks for your help Ann. I did though hear of a very sweet and happy seal story the other day. A dog, swimming in the ocean, was caught in the surf, exhausted and desparately trying to stay afloat. (Can't remember the location) A man, standing on the shore, watched in amazement as a harbor seal surfaced, and sensing the dog's peril, pushed the dog with his head to the shore and safety!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Last month there was the happy story of the Guardian Angel Seal.

Paul

Former User Guest
    Ann, thanx for emailing them, let's hope you 'll get a reply!

Thanks Paul!! That was the story I was speaking of! Amazing, and I hope, true!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

They finally emailed me back today!!!

It was a pretty short email, roughly translated it said:

Yes we will put up a big sign, where we ask the visitors not to throw in coins in the water.

What a sad story. I hope that this never has to happen again.