Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! I Need It Now!

Are belly bands an option for Pete?

These are not training devices, more like male dog diapers, for pee.
    Semavi Lady Visit the blog!

Taking your dog for a walk isn't teaching him to potty outside.
    When taking him outside, stand in one spot, don't move until he has done his stuff, then you can play with him, walk him what ever. But when you walk him all he is going to do is sniff and forget why he is out there LOL.

Crating does wonders for teaching dogs and pups not not to go in the house. If they are in a crate most will not dirty where they sleep. So he will hold it until someone gets up and takes him out. Thus learning NOT to potty in the kennel/house

I myself never bother with paper, not when I can teach them to go outside right away, I'm lazy, I don't want to teach them to go on paper then teach them to go outside LOL.

Yes this will take time, but it will happen over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
    I would put in a small room at night with bare floors covered with news paper and check a couple times a night to see if there is pattern. Or maybe get a big pan with kitty litter.
    OH! There is actually a type of 'doggie' litter box now. I know of breeders that use this stuff to help housebreak small breed pups before they go to their new homes and pup buyers rave about how well started the puppies are when they get them (they learn to go outdoors when the box is moved out there by the breeder or whatever system used). I know of one Anatolian breeder that raises her dogs as house dogs and she recently bred her first litter in about a decade. She said she liked the convenience of this box because she didn't have other arrangements for the pups to go outside sometimes. I don't personally have an opinion/experience with it.

Here's another article using different locally available materials.

All that said housebreaking an adult or near adult dog should generally use the same techniques normally used with puppies. Here's an article called: Housebreaking the Second Time Around one of our forum library has on housebreaking rescues and other adult dogs.

More articles on adopted dogs and rescue here at our library. Scroll up and down to see the rest of our library.

Newspaper is a bad idea, or paper of any kind. Once a dog learns its ok to potty on paper, they have a greater chance of doing it in the future. Lets say he really has to go one day and sees paper on the floor. He'll think its ok to go on that paper since it was ok in the past.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie
    Well, i mean i use a crate as a bed for reggie but i never lock her up in it. And, i dont see how crating a dog helps, it seems that it would make it harder.
    If used PROPERLY, crates are wonderful house training tools.

I do not see them as cruel. My Charlie actually sees it as his "bedroom", it is always left open when we are home, and when he gets tired or anxious he will go to his "bedroom" and just hang out. Same with Jamie. Oftentimes hubby and I look at each other and say "Where are the dogs??" and go look, and they're both curled up with each other inside the crate.

Had it not have been for the crate, house breaking Jamie (again after we moved) would have been a nightmare. And not only for the "sake" of our carpets and furniture, for her OWN safety!! I can not begin to tell you the things she would get into, and eat, while out of a crate while we were away at work. Two examples would be some hydrocodone and 2 1/2 lbs of chocolate fudge. YES, I had the things put up and out of their reach, but the cat is an instigator, or they realllly have a good nose and know how to get into the cabinets, lol. But point blank, had they have been crated, it would not have happened. Because what if, one time, I DO forget to do my thorough check before I leave the house, and they wind up getting into something much, much worse????? Or if there is an emergency, say we spill some toxic cleaning chemicals or whatnot and don't want them stepping in it or eating it. My #1 reason for using the crate is for their own safety first when I am not around to supervise.

But it was also heavensent in terms of housebreaking her again once we moved into our new apartment.

So, if used PROPERLY, the crate can only be a good thing and not cruel at all

facebook

Thumbs up The Vet....

Maybe you should go to the Vet because he has a urinary problem or something!
    You can also get this towel thing that you put around his hindquarters, so if he pees, it will go into the towel thing!

I didn't know if you've posted lately or not, but how is he doing? Is Duke getting better about going out??
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Duke is getting a lot better. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in the house in a week. I taken everyone's advice. I put him in a crate, took him outside whenever he eats and/or drinks. Thanks everyone for your help!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Quote Originally Posted by KittyGurl
    Duke is getting a lot better. He hasn't gone to the bathroom in the house in a week.
    That's great news!

I was wondering how this went. I'm glad Duke is improving!

That's wonderful news that he's doing so well!

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

well that's so awesome! I'm really happy for you. I wondered how he was and what ended up happening!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

If you happen to catch him doing his business in the house try just simply making him sit in the corner and ignoring him for a while. Dogs seek attention whether it be negative or positive so even telling him "no" might be giving him something he wants. We had a problem with my dog going to the bathroom in the house even just after being let out (he had already been potty-trained and had been going to the bathroom fine outside for like a year) until he randomly started going inside the house. We had tried yelling "no" at him for a while, we tried putting him outside until he went to the bathroom and we tried many other things. But then I decided one time (when I caught him in the act) to just make him sit in a corner and don't let him leave for a few minutes and if he whines or anything just ignore it. I think what Benji (my dog) was doing, when he was messing in the house, was trying to get attention so when he wasn't getting it, he stopped. Maybe this will help. Good Luck!

Take him for alot of walks. When he "goes" gim him treats or complement him. Just do the basic training. Don't worry you won't lose him.
    Dog Lover!