Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Toaster Ovens - help, please

Cleaning Toaster Ovens - help, please

Well, while I was newly post-op, Mom bought me a brand new toaster oven. It was on for a great price.

Now I know why - wrong box! While the outside of the box said "Continuous Clean", a read of the owner's manual showed it was anything BUT.

No metal scouring pads allowed, no oven cleaner - and a plastic scrubbie and soap don't do well. I believe oven cleaner is not recommended...

What can I use that will clean the brown grease 'stains' to prevent future buildup and grease fires?

Thanks!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Is it one of those that has the removable tray and that's what needs to be cleaned? If so, try soaking it in vinegar & water. Then if it does come clean, cover it with foil so you can just dispose of the foil next time it gets icky.
    I hope this helps.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Hi, Taz - I use it to broil stuff, and it's the gunk that spatters up on the "ceiling" of the oven. If it was just the gooey usual grease, NP. But it leaves little brown-red 'grease streaks' that harden on to the surface.

That's what made my last toaster oven unusable.

Should've spent more and got the Teflon one!

I need grease dissolvers that aren't oven cleaner. But the vinegar might work - didn't think of that!

Thanks!

Have you tried just baking soda? Mix a little with water and scrub with that ...

Have you tried just spraying some sort of cleaner in it, letting it heat up, shut it off, leave it closed and let it sit. Let the moisture do the work for you, then use a scotch brite scrubby to get it out.. Try that.

If the heating drys it out to much, heat a soaking wet rag in the microwave while you heat the oven..Cut the oven off and toss the hot soaked rag in there, (on the pan, not the elements) shut it and wait until it cools, then try cleaning it. STEAM it should create should work wonders.

(hint; amonia is a great grease cutter)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

We got one for a wedding gift and never used it just for reason they are a pain in butt to keep clean. Ended up selling it in a yard sale. This item was NOT on our gift registery as something we must have in our house. A dear family member of hubby's thought we needed one.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

If she bought it at BB&B, tell her to return it. They take back anything and I do mean ANYTHING!!!! Four year old nasty stained pillow. (need I say more?)

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Nope. London Drugs in Canada.

I do love using these, as I live on my own, and don't want to heat up a whole oven just for me...and it toasts bagels great!

There is a baking tray with it...I could put water and vinegar in there and heat it up. That should loosen a few stubborn bits!

Have you called customer service and asked them???

How about taking it back and saying, UM... this is the wrong model. I want the correct model (and for the same price, even exchange). That's what I would do actually.

I got mine at Target. I love it. I had asked for one for christmas or my birthday, one or the other, and specified, toaster OVEN. Said I like to make my tuna melts etc... in them. So, what does my cheap ass brother get me?? A toaster. Plain old toaster. Granted it was red and matched my kitchen. I looked at it and was like, wow thanks! My tuna melts will be great in this.

Sounds ungrateful, I know, but seriously. How hard can it be to get what one asks for?? We always get HIM what he asks for. Found out the toaster was on sale for 9.99 at Target, so I took it back and got what I had wanted (toaster/convection oven) for about 30.00 more.

My brother has a habit of being cheap, and he doesn't need to at all. He had asked me when I bought my house if I wanted a Home Depot or Lowes gift card, and I was like, OH! Either one! What he gave me was a hand towel, ONE hand towel, with the clearance tag still on it from Walmart ($1.88). I'm sorry, but that's just cheap! I go above and beyond for him, his wife and my nephew, and they screw everyone else over all the time. GRRR....

I just went to the manufacturer's website. I could download the same owner's manual as I have now....so I went to the FAQ.

It said to clean the upper parts with a non-abrasive cleaner, and to not use oven cleaner.

Well, THAT narrows it down, as some of those spatters don't give up easily!

OH WELL - will try the baking soda.

Unplug and be sure it's cool. Use lighter fluid on a terry cloth. If you can turn it upside down, leave the cloth on the grease stains for a few minutes, then scrub. The lighter fluid breaks down the grease. Wash well with soap and water before plugging it in. Goo Gone works too, but can be corrosive so I always try lighter fluid first.

Sounds kinda weird, but it works.

Lighter fluid - who knew! This would be butane?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1

Thanks!
    I guess you could take apart a lighter to get to the butane but I think they still make containers of lighter fluid (like charcoal starter for grills) that go in old flip top lighters from years back.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1

NO! NOT Butane!

You want Lighter FLUID - like Zippo Lighter FLUID ...
    Liquid stuff.

/s/ Phred

NO! NOT Butane!
    Thanks, Phred....though it would be nice to not have any hair to hassle with for a while!

(hard to keep my face, though!)