Thread: Ugliest Dog in the World Contest

Ugliest Dog in the World Contest

http://cbs5.com/topstories/local_story_173180745.html

you gotta click the link to watch a video of the contestant. its sooo adorable....well in a werid way

(AP) PETALUMA Elwood, a 2-year-old Chinese Crested and Chihuahua mix, was crowned as the world's ugliest dog here Friday, a distinction that delighted the New Jersey mutt's owners.

Elwood, dark colored and hairless -- save for a mohawk-like puff of white fur on his head -- is often referred to as "Yoda," or "ET," for his resemblance to those famous science fiction characters.

"I think he's the cutest thing that ever lived," said Elwood's owner, Karen Quigley, a resident of Sewell, New Jersey.
    Quigley brought Elwood out to compete for the second year at the annual ugly dog contest at the Marin-Sonoma County Fair. Elwood placed second last year.

Most of the competing canines were also Chinese Crested, a breed that features a mohawk, bug eyes and a long, wagging tongue.

Quigley said she rescued Elwood two years ago. "The breeder was going to euthanize him because she thought he was too ugly to sell," said Quigley.

"So ha ha, now Elwood's all over the Internet and people love him and adore him."

Beyond the regal title of ugliest dog, Elwood also earned a $1,000 reward for his owner.

I really don't like the name of that contest, I can't see any dog as ugly I understand people do it for the fame or whatever but I could never have a dog called the ugliest dog.
    Last edited by Jamieejo85; 06-23-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling error

I think I saw him in last year's competition, if I remember right that dog has almost everything he owns with his name on it! Talk about spoiled. Good going Elwood!
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Quote Originally Posted by Jamieejo85
    I really don't like the name of that contest, I can't see any dog as ugly I understand people do it for the fame or whatever but I could never have a dog called the ugliest dog.
    its a good natured fun contest. if you read the article you would have noticed the owners of the dog say "I think he's the cutest thing that ever lived," said Elwood's owner, Karen Quigley, a resident of Sewell, New Jersey.

its not done for fame, its done cause people love their dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamieejo85
    Ditto.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I think that is the funniest thing! I cant believe that a hacker broke into the voting computer and did that. I think that the name is funny, not insulting. Hey, i might enter reggie into that contest when she turns 9! LOL!

Munchkin makes me sick. That poor little dog is soooo fat! She can barely even breath or walk..

Zoe and Oliver you will always be missed wait for me at the bridge babies.

Also owned by 2 cats named Olive and Sophie
    1 bunny named Houdini
    1 syrian hamster named Oreo
    A 17 year old cockatiel named Baby
    7 zebra finches named Beeper, Zeb, Sprout, Buzz, Scout, Jack and Pearl
    7 bettas
    and several tropical fish

Visit Lucy, Maggie, and Gracie's Doggyspace

Oh wow! I try to be fair to every dog. I even thought that Sam was cute a weird way, but nope. This new winner is just not a cutie.haha.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Munchkin's owner is PROUD to have such a fat dog, who will die before she is 10, most likely?! UGH. That person makes me SICK. Poor dog.....

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Munchkin's owner is PROUD to have such a fat dog, who will die before she is 10, most likely?! UGH. That person makes me SICK. Poor dog.....
    I believe she said her goal was to be on David Letterman. I guess that is more important that getting her dog healthy. Munchkin seems like a way for her to get on TV.

I hate the name of this contest and even the whole idea. Would we have a contest for the Ugliest Person? To me it is just cruel. Thank God there are people who love these so-called ugly dogs.

I just saw little Elwood on the Today Show. He's a cute little bugger. Poor little fella was shaking like a leaf. I don't think he likes being in the limelight too much. Maybe he shakes naturally. I know the girls do when their nervous. I personally think this little doggie needs to be kept at home and not make public appearances. If it seems to be bothering him, leave him at home

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

so after thinking about it, this is a ridiculous contest. i can see how people would not take good care of their dog. it seems like it has good intentions, but yeah....