Thread: Newts, Salamanders, or Geckos?

Newts, Salamanders, or Geckos?

Hey PT! I am sorry I keep re-appearing for a couple days then disappearing for a long time! I have been having problems with the internet and a coupe of other problems (but I am sure you don't want to read all that!!!)

I have a question and I do not know how quick it will be. I have an empty ten gallon tank now, and I want a newt, salamander, or gecko. What would be good for a beginner that can live in a 10 gal. tank? I also want to be able to handle it more, unlike a firebelly newt (I have done some research, but I am not finding the right websites...)

Please PT, I want to know. I am hoping that I get my problems figured out (which does NOT affect my care/time for all my babes), so I can come back furever! I miss you all so much.

Also, I haven't talked of my betta boy Xambi a whole lot, but please pray for him. I am on vacation with the family (which is horrid) and I asked our neighbor how things are going with all the fur/scale babes. She said Xambi isn't moving much and won't eat. I have had him for three years now. I hope that if it is his time to pass on to the rainbow bridge that I can be there with him...Here is a picture of him:

Thank you PT'ers! I *hope* that you can give me some direction of what to do!
    Steph and the crew

Well, I'm not the most knowledgeble when it comes to scaley/slimy things; but from what I've heard, you would be best off with a gecko(since you want to handle it).

Newts and salamanders have more sensitive skin. Since their skin is designed to allow water to flow more easily through it, it also allows any chemicals, bacteria, etc. to get through the skin. Even if you wash your hands, its still not reccomended to handle newts often at all.

I, personally, like geckos alot. It seems like the #1 suggested gecko is the Leopard Gecko. I've heard of them living in 10g tanks, but my friend's leopard is very happy in a 20 gallon long. Thats the only breed that I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't need atleast a 20g.

Good luck!

i've never had a gecko or salamander, but i use to have a newt named King. I don't know what the name was of the exact kind he was, but he had an orange belly w/ black spots and every where else he was dark brown.

I had him about a yr. I don't know their lifespan so I don't know if he was very young or real old when he died.
    but I loved him, and like chilli said you really aren't supposed to handle them that much, which I didn't often, but every now and then I enjoyed going over to his tank (which was a ten gallon ) and petting him and holding him for a few seconds. He loved to eat blood worms (I think that's what they're called, I haven't bought any in so long that I forgot what they were called for sure!) He would take them out of my hands! He was so sweet, then later on I got another one and named him Kong. He was alot skinnier and less tame that King and wouldn't eat out of my hand, but I loved him too. They were both a ton of fun and I enjoyed them so much!

I hope decide which kind of pet you want...they're all neat and fun to have I'm sure! \

Genny
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Thanks you two! Genny, I believe that from your description you had a firebellied newt. They are very common, and from what I have read, very good beginner pets...but they can not be handled much. Which you did say you did not do

I, personally, like geckos alot. It seems like the #1 suggested gecko is the Leopard Gecko. I've heard of them living in 10g tanks, but my friend's leopard is very happy in a 20 gallon long. Thats the only breed that I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't need atleast a 20g.
    I was looking at the Leopard Gecko, but everything that I had seen said a 20 gal. I trust you more than a internet website though!

Thanks again you two! If anyone else has more info it will be greatly appriciated!!

I'd go with a Gecko. My aunt has a Leopard Gecko in a 10gallon, and he thrives.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

i would definitely go for an axylotl (mexican walking fish) they are quite easy to look after. if you want to see some pictures of mine, go to my website by clicking on the link in my siggy. They are actually the larval form of salamanders, but for some reason they do not turn into them ever unless a special hormone is added to the tank water. this is good though, cause then you dont have to worry about having water and land tanks. the need cold water which is simple as well. they can live to about 10 years, and they can grow back body parts. even internal organs like their heart!!! they can grow up to 30cm long, but how big they get depends on how big your tank is.

Hope i helped.

Pets of the Day so far ...
    BOOF, HONEY & BUNNIKINS

CLICK HERE to see all my pets past and present...

Click Here to go to my Petster account.

Click here to see some of my pet videos on YouTube.