Thread: How can I get Beezer used to stairs

How can I get Beezer used to stairs

Beezer is terrified of the stairs.....

How can I teach him to use them? I tried luring him with treats but that is just not enough to make him even want to get close.

Belle was afraid of the steps at first but we just placed her halfway down on the steps and helped her walk down them and then once she figured it out she was fine.... then of course she started finding bones downstairs (left there by Teddy no doubt) and now she wants down there all the time lol.

but Beezer FREAKS if you put him near the stairs. Eventually he is going to have to start using them as we will be building a kennel down there for them.

But how can I get him used to the stairs when he is so scared?

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Do you think if ALL of you go down the stairs and call for him that he'd come?
    We have really steep stairs at my mom's house and when my sister first got her greyhound, Maggie, she didn't like the stairs either. She could go up, but refused to go down and we'd have to carry her down. Eventually, she just started doing it. Since my sister's bedroom was upstairs and that's where the dogs slept she didn't have much of a choice.
    How bout if you (well not YOU, but someone) carry him down, see if he'll go up by himself? And just each time carry him down and maybe he'll learn it's not a bad thing. I don't know, I'm just throwing out suggestions.
    Good luck!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee
    Do you think if ALL of you go down the stairs and call for him that he'd come?
    We have really steep stairs at my mom's house and when my sister first got her greyhound, Maggie, she didn't like the stairs either. She could go up, but refused to go down and we'd have to carry her down. Eventually, she just started doing it. Since my sister's bedroom was upstairs and that's where the dogs slept she didn't have much of a choice.
    How bout if you (well not YOU, but someone) carry him down, see if he'll go up by himself? And just each time carry him down and maybe he'll learn it's not a bad thing. I don't know, I'm just throwing out suggestions.
    Good luck!

We tried that last night lol.

We all (including Belle) went downstairs and called him but he refused to even come near the door.... he just whimpered.

We brought him downstairs and we had to carry him back up. I tried what I did with Belle and guiding him with his collar (it worked for her) but he started thrashing around and freaking out so I let him go and we carried him back upstairs

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

One way that has worked for me is walking myself just like a dog would and walk up and down so they see "how to".......but I donīt think you should do it, maybe ask hubby.......itīs a bit complicated the down part but manageable..

you can also try some tasty treats in the steps so he is "forced" to go down or up to get them.......and heīll see "hey Iīm already up/down" "thatīs cool"
    Corinnaīs Christmas Card Swap ī06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da Houseī10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365