Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggie Shedding Problem

Reggie Shedding Problem

Ok, this has been going on for two years but since we moved to a place with green carpet brings this problem to light. When she got her shots two years ago, she started shedding alot. They were unusually cheap shots. I have used thoes anti-shedding shampooes but nothing works. Any ideas on how to cut down on her shedding?

Generally, a better diet will reduce shedding a bit. Brush her daily and that will also help.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I doubt it's the shots that make her shed I was going to say exactly what Kay said, brush her on a daily basis and take a look at what you're feeding her.

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I brush her daily AND i feed her Purina Bentiful.

The beneful could be (and probably is) your problem. It's a very low-end food, with very minimal nutritional value. Anything that you can find in a grocery store, wal-mart, etc. isn't a quality food at all. My dogs used to be on Nutro (which also isn't great), and since we've switched to higher end foods (Canidae and Orijen), their shedding has decreased tremendously.

If you can locate them, I'd recommend the following brands:

- Canidae (www.canidae.com)
    - California Natural (www.naturapet.com)
    - Innova (www.naturapet.com)
    - Eagle Pack Holistic (www.eaglepack.com)

There are more out there, but those seem to be the most well tolerated by my dogs and those of friends. All of those sites have store locators on them. You won't find quality food in most chain petstores and you will pay more for the food, but it should last you longer and your dog will be much healthier.
    Last edited by Tollers-n-Dobes; 06-21-2007 at 11:06 PM.

well, my family dosent have a credit card, either.

Why would you need a credit card?

You can get any of those foods in small petstores, and most cities (if not all) carry most of the foods I mentioned above. I'm sure you could find a place where you live that sells a good quality food.

The walmart here does not sell thoes foods and my dad is not willing to go any farther than our wal-mart.

Yeah the beniful is probally the problem. Do you have a local cenix? They have canidae, and canidae is much cheaper then beniful. Beniful is just junk, it's like you eating potatoe chips all of your life. It will probally help Reggie loose weight also.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

No, the only pet store that we have around here is walmart, the nearest Petsmart is in Gainesville, and the nearest little man pet store is in Cleaveland, Georgia.

Wal-Mart carries Purina ONE - it isn't a premium food but it certainly is more quality than Beneful.

It may help a bit with her shedding to put her on a food that is a bit more quality.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I went to an adoption event for pugs with my co-worker. The woman in charge of the adoption has five pugs of her own. She stressed that pugs are heavy shedders. She said she has been known to need to vacuum her home twice a day. BTW, my co-worker adopted a little black puggily girl from this woman several days later. I would love some day to have a pug of my own. Though my present dogs don't shed at all, I have two cats that make up for it. It just means the vacuum cleaner gets a bit more use.

Yes, pugs are super heavy shedders. Our dog grooming salon has SEVERAL pugs who come in to get shaved. The people swear it is the only way they can stand the shedding. We use a #10 blade and NO the dog is not bald! The pug has very dense fur, so it comes out very short and smooth. So even though many will scorn this advice, I have pug owners who LOVE this and do it all year long.

My sister has 2 pugs. She can't keep up with the shedding no matter how much she brushes them. It's part of owning a pug.

Taking him/her to the groomers would help they use a blow drying which blows out all the dead undercoat which causes most of the shedding. Being as Pugs are heavy shedders it probly won't stop te problem for long but if you keep up with daily brushing it should help ALOT. You could also get a furminator which would work well on a Pug coat but I don't know if someone your age should be trusted to use one as you can hurt the dog with it.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee