Thread: My Lucy Blue...

My Lucy Blue...

I posted this a while ago in my LiveJournal and on another website... but I thought of Lucy today and I decided to post it in here. She was put to sleep in March of this year during my spring break.

She was born in September of 1991, a few months after we lost Murphy to cancer. When mom brought home this wiggly small bundle of black fur, I knew she would be a great new friend for me. I was 4 when we got her and was fixing to turn 5 in another month. I remember that I was the one to name this Lhasa terrier mix.... Lucy. I could never say her name right because I had a lovely little lisp, so it all came out as 'Woocey.' Mom mainly got this little terrier Lhasa mix to help my younger sister Claire and myself cope with the loss of Murphy, our golden retriever.

Right from the get go, Lucy was a wonderful playmate and friend to my sister and myself. You could never meet a more loving and gentle dog than her. Lu Lu, as I fondly called her, was notorious for giving gentle kisses and for having a wonderful patience with kids. She always filled my heart with a warm happiness whenever I saw her and whenever she followed me around from place to place. I used to show Lucy in the 4H Kid Dog shows whenever the fair would come to our county. Lucy ALWAYS won the miscellaneous category.... which is just an easier way to say "MUTT." I won many first place trophies with that sweet ol' gal. We always kept her coat nice and clean and as she left her puppy stage, her coat became a silver gray color. We groomed Lucy a lot and at one time we even let her coat grow out super long. She was absolutely gorgeous with her long flowing coat. All of my friends adored Lucy, mainly because she was the easiest one to walk; not once did she ever pull anyone. Catherine, my long time dearest friend, always wanted to walk Lucy; she was her favorite. I guess thats why it was appropriate that Catherine was with me yesterday, the day we finally had to say goodbye to the ol' girl.

I knew for a while now that the time was getting close, the time for us to put her to sleep. Ever since I left for college, Lucy hasn't been 'herself'. No longer did she want to cuddle with me in my bed because of a thunderstorm, she didn't even recognize me at times and she couldn't hear me call her name. Lucy had lost a lot of her sight and could barely hear us at all anymore. She was scared of everything! This dog, that used to be the queen of the household, was scared of our cats and confined herself only to my parent's bedroom. She didn't venture out to the den to settle in her big green chair, or seek me out like she used to whenever the weather was rough and she needed comfort. I can still remember her timid squeals when the thunder boomed, and I was so grateful to have her sleep with me whenever we had the bad storms at night during the summer. I liked having her with me because she comforted me as I comforted her. Lucy's favorite pass time was to go for car rides with me. When I first got my license, she was the only brave soul willing to go for a ride with me. All I had to say was "Lucy, wanna go for a ride?" And she'd perk herself right up and head out to my car and stand at the door, ready to go for a spin.

I gave her her last car ride yesterday morning as I took her to work with me. I remember seeing her decrepit old body sit in the passenger seat beside me, and for a brief moment it was as if things were like the used to be before her health began to roll down hill. I put my hand on the parking brake and she nudged it with her nose just like she used to do whenever she wasn't ready for you to stop petting her little head. I smiled and remembered that she loved me, that last little bit of Lucy that was left inside of her was telling me it was okay and that she loved me. My sweet little Lucy was comforting me again as I took her on her last stroll. I got inside to work, and put her back in the hospital run with a big old doggie bed and headed up to work. Mom and me had agreed to put her to sleep whenever the work day was over at 1. I head this since of dread all day, knowing what waited for my Lucy girl whenever the day was over. Catherine and I made lunch plans for that day, and she was going to meet me at 1 too, but I hadn't told her that we were putting Lucy to sleep that day, I didn't even find out that we were untill that morning.

Whenever we clocked out of work, Catherine walked in and I told her what was going to happen. Catherine loved Lucy as if she were her own dog too. Mom got Dr. Gingery to put Lucy to sleep. Me and Catherine visited with the old girl, and she gave us each a kiss. Lucy hadn't kissed me in months because she couldn't recognize me or anyone else she lived with. It was so sweet that she gave us each kisses. Mom then had me bring her to the treatment room where Dr. Gingery got the needle and euthanasia stuff ready. I walked slowly with Lucy but I had a sense of peace flood over me. Lucy wasn't going to be in pain any more, Lucy was going to be LUCY again. For the past 8 months, Lucy was a living shell, completely empty on the inside. I brought her to the table and mom held her as Dr. Gingery slowly put the Euthanasia stuff in her veins. I kept eye contact with Lucy as the stuff hit her veins. I stroked her face as she began to slowly fall to the table, and I got tears in my eyes as she took her last breath. Catherine was standing off to the side crying, which is understandable since she is 7 months pregnant and she had never seen anything like this before. I've seen it once or twice, but it was surreal to see your OWN dog go through this. It was quick, easy, and painless for Lucy to go. I felt a since of peace hit my body knowing she wouldn't suffer anymore, but a horrible jab of sadness knowing I wouldn't see my gentle girl anymore... at least not for a while.

Lucy is up there running around with Hazel, our cattle dog that died a year and a half ago. I know it... I know they're up there playing with Hope, my beautiful lab who died tragically at 3.

I didn't really cry when Lucy was put to sleep initially, but I am now as I type this and remember the old Lucy and the great times I had with her. I have had that dog since before I started Kindergarten and now I'm a sophomore in college. Lucy was 15 and half when she took her last breaths. I'm going to miss her.... a lot. I've been missing Lucy for close to a year now, if that makes sense. She's been empty and hollow, although still sweet, for a long time now. I'll miss my dad singing to her going "Lucille, you don't do your daddy's will!" or mom calling her "Lucy Blue!" For anyone that got to meet my sweetheart of a dog, I hope you realize what a treasure has been to my family, and hope you can remember the great experiences you may have shared with her.

Lucy "Blue" K,
    9-21-91 to 3-03-07

Lucy at Christmas one year...

My sister and myself with Lucy when we were young little girls.

One of the last pictures of Lucy.

Rest in peace, Lucy Blue - when a cloud has a silver lining, we'll know you're peeking down!

Oh Lucy Blue, what a wonderful girl you were. I loved reading every word about you. I know you are missed.

Logan

Every time I read one of these, my heart breaks and the tears fall. Because I know of that pain. Saying goodbye to them is one of the hardest things you ever have to do. Lulu was so cute with her antlers. And you all look so happy in the snow. I'm glad you can smile and remember the happy times. This is a sad way to welcome you to PT but I hope you stick around. This was a wonderful tribute to your sweet dog. She's with all our treasured dogs now and one day we will all be reunited.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

What a beautiful tribute to a dog well-loved!!!!! RIP Lucy. Run painfree at RB.
    Hugs.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Rest Easy Lucy... you were and always will be loved.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome