Thread: Anyone use Sentinel?

Anyone use Sentinel?

Reading through the old thread on 1-800-petmeds I did a search for different heartworm medications. I currently and have been for a while using Interceptor for my 3. I have not had a problem with it at all. During my search I came across Sentinel which says it treats heartworms, hookworms, roundworms and whipworms as well as prevents fleas. I used Revolution before on Sadie but was not too thrilled with it. Has anyone got any experience with Sentinel and how effective is it against fleas? Is it cost effective? Just a question for inquiring minds.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

We don't use Sentinel much where I work. Not only is it a fairly expensive heartworm med (in comparison to Heartgard & Tri-heart with Frontline Plus) but as a flea control it can't match Frontline Plus/Advantage.

With Sentinel the fleas still actually BITE your dog to get the treatment, which still allows for allergic reactions to flea bites. No so with Frontline Plus/Advantage, let alone that Sentinel does not actually kill the adult fleas just a birth control for them. Frontline Plus/Advantage actually kills the adult fleas as well as Frontline Plus ALSO has the birth regulator as well as K9Advantix (although don't use that one in a house with cats)

From Noravitis website (manufacturer of Sentinel)

Treated immature fleas will not be able to molt to the next stage and females feeding on treated animals will produce eggs out of which no larvae will hatch.

Honestly if I had a dog I'd use Tri-heart Plus for heartworm and Frontline Plus for fleas.

As another alternative (although I'm not sure on pricing difference) you could try Revolution which is a Heartworm preventative/flea preventative.

Whatever heartworm medication you get be sure to have your dog tested for heartworm BEFORE giving heartworm preventative!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Thanks for the info. All of my dogs have been on heartworm preventative since the start so no worry there. I get all of my heartworm meds from my vet. You have provided just the information I needed regarding the Sentinel. I will continue to use what I have been.

My sister has used Sentinel for years, she swears by it!

I used to use Revolution but because of a constent flare up of worms my vet suggested we switch to Interceptor for worms and I use K9 Advantix.
    I only started using Interceptor this Spring... so paws crossed that we don't get worms this summer (like we have EVERY summer in the past!!!! )
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I use Sentinel, because it doesn't haven't ivermectin in it (Tri-Heart and Heartgard both do and my vet doesn't carry Interceptor). There are certain breeds that have reactions to ivermectin, Collies being one of the most sensitive to it. Some other breeds on the list that shouldn't have ivermectin, Shelties, Aussies, Sheepdogs, Australian Cattle Dogs, etc.

I've used Sentinel for the last 5 years and have seen no fleas whatsoever on the dogs, that's even with takin' them hikin' through the woods and being around many other dogs at training classes, Petsmart, the neighborhood, etc. No worms of any kind either.

Also, I just did a quick price comparison of a years worth of Sentinel vs a years worth of Interceptor and Frontline Plus and you're going to pay about 50% more for Interceptor/Frontline Plus. Since it looks like you have an ACD, I didn't price out Tri-heart or Heartgard.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Thanks Par, nice to know about the Ivermectin and ACD's. Grant has been on the Interceptor since we have had him and he's done great. Perhaps I will price out the Sentinel and see where it takes me. I have yet to see fleas on Grant, not sure they can get through that hair. I always catch them on Maggie, she has very little hair so they seem to like her. I'll have to see what the prices are at the vet's for the Sentinel. I don't like using the chemicals on the dogs unless it because necessary to treat them for the fleas. If I could get away with the Sentinel and be satisfied with it, I might try it. I'll see what the vet has to say. Thanks again for all of the tips.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini9961
    I don't like using the chemicals on the dogs unless it because necessary to treat them for the fleas.

BTW in regards to chemicals, the main ingredient in Frontline Plus is Fipronil and has been used in fruit orchards in the US since the 1980's. So most of us have probably been eating it for years. Fipronil only attacks the nervous system of insects, not mammals.

I'm not sure about the ingredients in Advantage, or Revolution without digging up some info myself, but I do know that Advantix has similar ingredients (that my boss refuses to carry) that are contained in the hartz and OTC flea meds which are not as safe overal, particularly to cats.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022