Thread: cat is an excessive licker

cat is an excessive licker

mt Mom's cat has a problem with licking herself all of the time. she is also losing her hair on her tummy and on her hip area. does anyone have this problem with their cats? what do you do for this problem?

Have her checked out for either a food allergy or possible fleas.

Bitter Apple is a spray you can use to deter from licking (it tastes awful)

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yes, I'd have her checked for allergies. Also, my Creamsicle was constantly licking herself and when I checked it out, it turns out she had an infection in her hair follicles and she was losing hair, too. So have your vet check her out.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Either allergies or obsessive compulsive disorder would be probable suspects for this. Dusty has been overgrooming for years. We tried the food route and that wasn't it. In her case giving oral meds wasn't feasable so we just try to distract her when we can. Check your cat with the vet and see if he/she can help out.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

If your vet tells you it's nerves, one thing you can try is Feliway. It's a scent that mimics the "this is a safe place" scent that cats generate in their facial glands. You can get it as a spray (for bed, collar, carrier) or a rechargeable plug-in (Kitty Incense!) They say humans can't smell it, but I have a really sensitive nose, and do occasionally catch a faint whiff of cedar/coconut when I'm right next to the diffuser - if you can smell it at all, it's actually quite pleasant.