Thread: A question for kitten people

A question for kitten people

Okay, people with kittens - I have a question. I was petting my cat-nephew, Milo last night. He is nine months old. Cassie (11 years old) doesn't do this so I want to know if I did something wrong or if it is just his youth. As I was petting Milo, he took my hand in all of his four paws and started to bite me! Not serious bites, though because he still had a calm look on his face and didn't have airplane ears. He also didn't have his claws extended. Then he started licking my hand where he had just bit it. I'm just wondering if I did something to provoke him? He is such a sweet cat. Is 9 months still considered a kitten? I don't mind the bites or the claw marks but on the other hand, he should probably learn that it isn't okay to bite.

Thank you all!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

You need to redirect his playfulness by not using your hands. Sounds like that's whats been happening. All ya gotta do to break him of this is to say "NO!!!!" very firmly, dettach yourself from him (or him from you) and walk away. He'll get the hint.

Distract him with kitty toys, ones he can chase. Something that'll distract him from making shredded wheat out of your hand.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sometimes that behavior is just being a kitten, but usually it's because someone in the household 'wrestles' with the cat with their hands which is a very bad habit!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

The behavior is perfectly normal. This is how the kitten would wrestle with another kitten. The problem is, if you do not stop him from doing this he will think it is an OK way to play and end up being a biter in adulthood. So, as the others have said, do not play with your hands,, use a toy instead. He can bite and grab that all he wants to.

Thank you, everybody! I wasn't even playing with him, just petting when he took my hand in his paws and started to bite. Is 9 months old still considered a kitten? I think I'll get him a Kitten Mitten. It's been a long time since we had a young cat in the family! I'll try to take pictures of him playing. He also likes to look out the window at the birds and leaves.

Here's the Kitten Mitten. Petsmart has them. He'll love this, I think.
    http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/TYS-0910

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Kittenness

Yes, 9 months old is still a kitten

I agree with the posts which suggest redirecting his biting play away from human hands. Toys are much sturdier!

(Also, keep petting the kitty when they are calm. It helps, for sure.)

Enjoy

^..^katelf~t~

If it were me I"d stay away from any type of toy that fits over your hand since the cat has already been grabbing hands and the kitten may not realize the difference between a bare hand and a hand wearing a toy that it's encouraged to attack. A fishing pole toy or balls you can toss would be a better option.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Update. I saw him again I was petting him and he tried to bite on my hand, so I moved my hand away. He has a little furry "mousie" that he played with for a good half hour - it slides on the tile so he can push it, and then pounce on it, and then pick it up in his mouth. You can tell what he might be thinking - Okay, I'll put it over here. Now, over here. Now, between these pillows. Now I'll push it. Oops, she is looking over here, better ignore it. I have to get photos of him for you because he is just so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Thank you, everybody! I wasn't even playing with him, just petting when he took my hand in his paws and started to bite. Is 9 months old still considered a kitten? I think I'll get him a Kitten Mitten. It's been a long time since we had a young cat in the family! I'll try to take pictures of him playing. He also likes to look out the window at the birds and leaves.

Here's the Kitten Mitten. Petsmart has them. He'll love this, I think.
    http://www.thecatconnection.com/page/TCC/PROD/TYS-0910
    He could also be trying to tell you he doesn't want to be petted anymore. My cat Melody will roll on her back for me to pet her belly and when she wants me to stop she will roll away and if I don't she will either gently nip or scratch at me.
    Sissybritches

Angel still does this and she is 5 years old. This behavior is normal, but as everyone else is saying, it is a very bad habit! Say "no" firmly and stop playing with your hands. Even if It doesn't seem like you playing with Milo with your hands, it may seems like that to him. Good luck!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Guess what? It's now two years later and the Big Guy still does it! I've learned to have a toy ready when he starts the grab-my-hand action.

AGH! I read the whole thread, not until the last post did I learn it was from 2007!

So he still does this? Silly boy.

OK, so WHERE are the photos and vid of this dear boy? Let's SEE him!