• No

3 27.27%
  • sometimes

3 27.27%
  • never tried

1 9.09%

Thread: Why won't she fetch????????

Why won't she fetch????????

My dog daisy won't fetch. She will go after things but won't bring them back. She is a young puppy but she still is a Lab who are supposed to love fetching!! Does her being a puppy affect anything?
    -Anna Reuter

I have had to train Goldens to retrieve even though it is suppose to be a natural instinct. The ones that I have trained seem to be the more diligent retrievers too! Don't assume that just because it is a retriever that it will know what to do. Just be patient and teach your pup how to retrieve!

Patience is the key word. Play/Practice with your pup, hopefuly she will get the hang of it and enjoy fetching. Good luck!

Sorta

He runs and fetches only it depends on what mood he's in if he'll give it back or make you chase him down for it.
    Then again He's a ship so what can you expect....
    Jen
    Mom of Rocky the wonder dog.

Fetch

Phoebe refuses to play fetch. If you throw the ball or whatever it might be, she will run towards it but won't even pick it up. She just turns around and looks at me and comes running back.

Deisel was in training so he fetches no problem and he brings it back to you.

weird, my lab mix is 4 years old and she wont fetch, weird
    your buddy, Michelle

Some dogs just don't know how to fetch, so have to be trained. Others are "born to retreive" regardless of breed! Each dog then must train its people accordingly!

In a similar vein, we had one dog (Gracie the mostly Great Dane) who would NOT catch anything. Even pieces of food! They'd just bounce off her face, then we'd have to point them out and THEN she'd eat them. We finally gave up trying to teach her - we felt like someone might report us for dog abuse before she ever learned ...

"Officer, I saw them! They just kept throwing things at that poor dog. They throw them at her face, over and over"

"But, officer, it was food, honest! We were just trying .... oh, never mind."

Great Danes are not known for their vast intelligence but she was a great dog despite that!

big lol on the police !!!!!!!!!
    your buddy, Michelle

It's funny because our 4 mo. golden lab doesn't get this fetching thing either. He just sits down and looks at you like, "umm what did you do THAT for??" How would you go about training him to fetch?? The times that he does fetch, we praise him really well, but after one or two times, he completely loses interest. How can we keep him interested? Will his attention span increase as he gets older??

Simple. Your dog won't fetch because he/she is too smart !!!!!

lol give em some credit. Sooo cute and cudly.........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a four year old lab and until this year she wouldn't play. Throw a ball and she would watch it, a squeky toy would be ignored forever...
    I got kittens who play and I think she learned something from them. She doesn't play like "normal" dogs, but she is getting the hang of it

My terrier Bobbie knows how to play fetch but does not see the sense in it. Sh will go for the ball grab it and than chew on it or whatever. If we ask her to bring it back, she just kind of looks at us like "yeah, I just ran all the way over here to get this ball and you expect me to go back to you so you can take it away and throw it again, I don't think so"

She is just to smart. Our lab on the other hand loves to play fetch and he was never trained to do it he just did it naturally.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I wish I had that problem. Both of my dogs will fetch any toy that is thrown and bring it back. Smudgw won't always release it though choosing instead to sit and chew on it for a bit but eventually he'll give it up, and Winter is OCD about fetching toys. She'll make you throw things for hours if she thinks she can get away with it, and if you don't take the toy right away she throws it in your lap.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

buck is a fetchaholic we cant stop him he goes nuts trying to get a ball.

Make a game out of it..wave it around in the dogs face and then throw it and run after and pick it up(just dont do it while there are cars driving by because yull look like an idiot,belive me I DID IT! people in the cars will think your sum crazed person)...try even with there favorite toy....this will drive them MAD because thats THEIR! toy not YOURS! and your not sapossed to be throwing it around!Then they will(ok might)go after it....even if there not bringing it back once they go after it at least they chased it....then u can work from there.....GOOD LUCK!!

Kay

FcR
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)