Thread: fainting goats

fainting goats

ok, so maybe EVERYONE else but me had heard of fainting goats but I was just recently informed of their existence. This is quite possibly the FUNNIEST thing ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we9_CdNPuJg

That is so funny. I think its cute when they scare the whole group and they just fall over...the other one is cute when it completley rolls on its back =) adorable.
    Owned by Titus, Bob, Alice, Trixie, Honey, Chesterfield, Al, Oreo, Dave, Ed, and Tyr!
    In two short months I will have my dream horse, Cesar!

LOLOLOLOLOLOL! That is the funniest thing that i have ever saw in my entire life!LOLOLOLOLOL! I especially liked the part when they scare them and the whole group falls over.

I don't know ... maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of sad.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I think its kinda sad too. Its the result of breeding for a trait that would be otherwise deadly if the goat weren't in captivity. I'm sure their are other side effects of this breeding. It makes me think of waltzing mice (mice bred to have inner ear problems so they "dance" for life, and most die within a few weeks of birth)
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

there are A LOT of traits that would be deadly if the animal wasn't in captivity....not just fainting goats. i was simply trying to post a cute vid that i thought was funny

and these goats serve a very specific purpose. they help serve as an indicator when there is a threat to other goats in the herd. They are responsible for helping keep other goats alive. It's not really sad at all.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimknapp/goats.html

Traits that would be deadly if the animal wasn't in captivity??

How about brachiocephalic noses (pug, boxer, Persian)? Or any albino animal? Or hairless dogs/cats/rats/guinea pigs/hamsters/mice? Or super short legs in an animal that was once a carnivore? Or miniature animals? Or crummy teeth?

There are loads of traits we breed into animals that make them totally unfit for life in the wild. That's why we call them 'domesticated' animals.

I like the fainting goats. It's a neat trait, it doesn't seem to bother them at all, and it once served a useful purpose.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

goats are so cute !!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Oh my, this is not such a good idea. If another animal is chasing them such as a fox or even a dog they faint and have no defense at all. I don't like this idea.

I completely see both sides of the conversation, though this trait in fainting goats doesn't bother me. I do find it rather annoying when people constantly scare the goats just to watch them fall over.
    I think fainting goats are cute. :] My friend's parents used to raise goats, and they had one fainting goat that was the sweetest goat I had ever been around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2
    Oh my, this is not such a good idea. If another animal is chasing them such as a fox or even a dog they faint and have no defense at all. I don't like this idea.
    If you read the second article ratdogg posted, you'll see that that is exactly why the trait was reproduced in the first place. It sucks for the fainting goat, but it IS an effective defense for the rest of the flock.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I, too, don't like it when you see people just scare them to see them fall over, but it is neat and kinda cute. It's sad that they are used to keep the other goats safe, but they ARE keeping the other goats safe so I don't really see anything wrong with it I guess.

I LOVE all kinds of goats, but I've never been around one of this kind. Cute though
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I love fainting goats and hope to own a few some day, they just arent very common around my neck of the woods.

I think there is nothing wrong with these goats, except for people constantly scaring them just to see them fall over. That would be like me constantly scaring my cat just to see it jump! They were not bred for our amusement, they have a purpose.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

They were not bred for our amusement, they have a purpose.
    yeah!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    ... I do find it rather annoying when people constantly scare the goats just to watch them fall over ...
    That's exactly what I meant ... not that the goat having the trait in and of itself was sad, but the goats constantly being frightened for the amusement of people is sad.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien