Thread: New Drug Approved to Battle Canine Obesity

New Drug Approved to Battle Canine Obesity

Approved today by the FDA, available by prescription by a vet.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070612/20070612005727.html?.v=1

Slentrol, First Medication to Combat Canine Obesity, Now Available by Prescription
    Tuesday June 12, 9:09 am ET Pfizer Launches BARC - Body Assessment Rating for Canines

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pfizer Animal Health (NYSE: PFE - News) today announced that SLENTROL(TM) (dirlotapide), the first and only FDA-approved veterinary medication for the management of canine obesity, is now available by prescription in the United States.

Slentrol was developed in response to the unmet need for a medication to help veterinarians and pet owners better manage canine obesity, an important medical condition that can lead to serious health consequences. An estimated 25 to 40 percent of dogs in the U.S. (about 17 million) are overweight or obese.

Studies have shown that canine obesity is associated with serious medical conditions, including: osteoarthritis; cardiac disease; respiratory conditions; heat or exercise intolerance; dermatological problems affecting skin, hair and coat; compromised immune function; and increased surgical and anesthetic risks. In addition, weight loss is typically first line therapy for osteoarthritis, and cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.

Pfizer also announced recently the launch of BARC, or the Body Assessment Rating for Canines, a new online assessment tool designed to help dog owners determine if their dogs are overweight or obese, or are engaging in behaviors that contribute toward canine obesity. BARC is available at www.StopCanineObesity.com.

"Our goal is to encourage dog owners to begin a dialogue with their veterinarians," said George Fennell, vice president, U.S. Companion Animal Division, Pfizer Animal Health. "By helping dog owners think about their dog's lifestyle, we are hoping to lessen the prevalence of this serious medical condition so dogs can live healthier, more active lives."

Reliable Weight-Loss, Unique Mode of Action

Developed specifically for dogs, Slentrol is the first U.S.-licensed Microsomal Triglyceride Transfer Protein (MTP) inhibitor - a medicine with a unique mode of action that works differently from human weight-loss drugs. Slentrol works by decreasing appetite and food intake.

Like humans, it is crucial for canines to lose weight at an appropriate rate. A Slentrol Treatment Plan has been designed to achieve weight loss of approximately 3 percent per month, a safe and responsible rate. The Treatment Plan takes into account that a dog's weight can be influenced by factors such as breed, age, genetics and diet, and uses monthly dosing adjustments individualized to each dog. This means that owners can develop new and fundamentally better feeding behaviors and exercise regimens that will help maintain the dog's weight loss. Slentrol can be used with any nutritionally balanced diet.

"The availability of Slentrol marks a significant milestone in the treatment of canine obesity, giving veterinarians an additional tool when diet modification and increased exercise are difficult for owners to implement successfully," said Georgette Wilson, DVM, Manager, Veterinary Operations, Pfizer Animal Health. "For long-term success, Slentrol should be used as part of an overall weight management program that includes diet and exercise."

In a four-month Slentrol weight-loss study with client-owned obese dogs, 97.8 percent of dogs that completed the study lost weight. The mean weight loss was 11.8 percent, and half of the dogs lost at least 11 percent of their body weight, a level associated with established health benefits.

Slentrol must not be used in cats. Do not give Slentrol to dogs with liver disease or dogs that have been taking steroid treatments for a long time. The most common side effect from Slentrol is vomiting. A few dogs may develop diarrhea, seem unusually tired or completely stop eating. If any of these side effects last longer than two days a veterinarian should be consulted. Slentrol should never be taken by people under any circumstances.

BARC - Body Assessment Rating for Canines

In addition to launching the first medication to manage obesity in dogs, Pfizer Animal Health has also developed the BARC tool as a way to help dog owners identify overweight or obesity in their pets. The short quiz was designed to prompt owners to think about the behavioral and physical conditions that might indicate that their dogs are overweight or obese. Additionally, owners are encouraged to visit their veterinarians for a complete physical exam of their dogs, including an obesity assessment and discussion on establishing new, healthy habits to help manage weight.

The development of the tool was spurred by two national surveys recently commissioned by Pfizer Animal Health that polled dog owners and veterinarians, respectively, on their awareness of and -- opinions about canine obesity. The studies found that only 17 percent of dog owners believe their dogs are overweight or obese.

Veterinarians, however, indicate that on average nearly half (47 percent) of their canine patients would be classified as overweight or obese, a number that is consistent with national statistics.

For a copy of Slentrol prescribing information, please go to http://www.pfizerah.com/slentrol.

About Pfizer Animal Health With sales of $2.3 billion in 2006, Pfizer Animal Health is a global leader in discovering, developing and marketing medicines and vaccines for companion animals and livestock, including beef and dairy cattle and swine.

My boss (head vet) won't use this drug yet.

First of all they started advertising to the public before they started informing vets about it. Just another way they try to get the client to badger the vet into buying their products.

Second my boss never is the first to jump on any bandwagon of a new drug. He prefers to let others use their client's pets as guinea pigs (eg. Proheart 6) and make sure it's safe for his clients first.

Third it still requires people to monitor their animal's food intake and reduce appropriately. Many of our clients refuse to do what is necessary to reduce the weight of their pet despite the possible health concequences.

Just my two cents worth.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

What is wrong with reducing the amount of food you feed your dog?

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'm actually pretty interested in this. Riley only eats 1 cup twice a day of reduced calorie food, but she is still technically over weight. She's under the recommended feeding for her weight of 3-4 cups a day. She isn't dangerously overweight by any means, but her bad hips makes it difficult to provide an exercise routine to work the extra weight off. It's a catch 22 for her, she needs to lose weight to prevent further damage as she gets older, but she can't go for long walks, runs, or play too long without causing more damage. Ideally a pool and low impact exercise would be best, but I don't have that option open to me right now.

If this proves to be a safe and manageable treatment, it may provide the extra help needed to reduce her weight.

What is wrong with reducing the amount of food you feed your dog?
    Try telling my aunt margaret that where fat mega is concerned. She thinks you are accusing her of not loving the dog because she feeds it too much but feels she doesn't love the dog as much if she doesn't feed her bits all the time causing her to get to her present diabolically obese condition.
    She measures the amount of love by the amount of food she feeds the dog. Stupid, I know but you try reasoning with her. I doubt she's the only person out there like this.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by cmayer31
    I'm actually pretty interested in this. Riley only eats 1 cup twice a day of reduced calorie food, but she is still technically over weight. She's under the recommended feeding for her weight of 3-4 cups a day. She isn't dangerously overweight by any means, but her bad hips makes it difficult to provide an exercise routine to work the extra weight off. It's a catch 22 for her, she needs to lose weight to prevent further damage as she gets older, but she can't go for long walks, runs, or play too long without causing more damage. Ideally a pool and low impact exercise would be best, but I don't have that option open to me right now.

If this proves to be a safe and manageable treatment, it may provide the extra help needed to reduce her weight.
    We are in the same boat as Riley, Zoey has just been proved to have hip dysplacia and sponysplasia. I can only take her on 2 20 min walks twice a day and let her out only on a leash. She has been on 3/4 a cup for a while even before we found out about this. She still hasn't lost weight. I would not try this product for a long time.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Two comments here:

1) for many people feeding=love, we see that time and time again at work. Horribly obese animals than can barely walk in the door and panting like crazy because of the weight. When we stress to the owner the health risks of obesity we usually get many responses like "but he just keeps begging", "she just loves those treats", "I know that but hubby/kids keep giving them snacks", "yeah he's a fat thing that's for sure (usually announced very proudy by the owner as if it's a good thing)". Some owners are obese themselves and just don't see anything wrong with an obese pet. We constantly see weight related diseases come in, including most recently, a very obese cat that had a glucose level of 600+ (normal should be 100 or less) the machine couldn't even go high enough to give us the exact glucose level!!

2) sometimes a failure to lose weight despite cutting back on food or increasing excercize can be a low thyroid problem. A blood test can determine this and the medication is reletively inexpensive (at least in my area) and usually has great results.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022