Thread: What Would You Do?

What Would You Do?

I just got a letter from our homeowners association telling us that a neighbor has complained that our dog's bark incessantly during the day. Now there isn't really anything they can do about it, although they warned that it is against the deed restrictions to do anything which "annoys" your neighbor (good grief!) but the letter also said that the neighbor was advised to phone the Sheriff's Dept. as there are county noise ordinances?!?

The dogs are outside from about 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. They love the outdoors, and they run and play and ... yes, bark some. But not "incessantly".

I asked my next door neighbor, who works from home, and she said they do bark sometimes, but not "incessantly". When we had just Odie, he barked A LOT! He also dug, and destroyed everything -- classic separation anxiety. Once we got Scout (in April), he quit all the negative behavior... quit digging, barking, destroying things, escaping. He's been on his best doggy behavior ever since, and is so happy to have a buddy!

I don't really know what to do. I do NOT want to get bark collars for the poor little guys. I've listened when they don't know I we are home or when we first get home, and they do not seem to be barking much -- just normal play. How can I stop that?

What should I do? If I put them in the house, they hate it and will go nuts. My home will not be a pretty site when I get home!

I am ultra sensitive about barking dogs, myself. And I have barkers, especially Honey. And she prefers to be outside. I am so fortunate that I work at home, and am here, most of the time. I have given a trusted neighbor a key to my house though, and always let her know when I am going to be away for several hours. That way, she can come over, if she hears them, and let them inside. And just last week, she had to do that. Maybe that could be an alternative. Acclimate your dogs to a good friend and neighbor that you trust to come into your home. And maybe isolate an area, like your kitchen, so your house won't be destroyed. Mine are old enough that they don't destroy anything, and Honey has come to trust my neighbor, Donna, so she willingly comes in for her.

The other alternative might be to have a petsitter check in once a day and let them get a good run.

I feel your pain, and know how bad it can be. But I don't like other people's barking dogs, so I definitely don't want mine bothering people either.

Logan

I'm with Logan. VERY sensitive about the barking issue! I tolerate thumping basketballs all weekend, starting at 8am, sometimes till 10pm! No to mention SCREAMING kids in their pool next door, the teenagers with the LOUD motorcycles down the street! But, I was the one who got the "warning" from animal control about incessant barking! Star was only a few months old. One Sunday morning, around 9am, we were all out playing. Of course, Star was yelping and play barking as we chased balls, threw sticks etc. My "new" neighbors, what we here call "summer people," were the ones who called. Seems they told the animal control officer..."We come here to sleep in on a Sunday morning!" I was BERSERK!!!!!!!!!!! The anti-barking "law" states that you can be warned after 10 minutes of NON STOP barking! No way was this the case. Still, I was furious! Never have heard a word from them since. Still, now I freak if I hear them bark for even a few seconds while outdoors. I never leave them alone outdoors if I leave the house. I know they would realize I was gone and would be barking to come in after several minutes. I think Logan's suggestions were great. Would they be able to stay indoors while you are at work? I think the idea of having a neighbor visit, or a pet sitter come once or twice during the day is a good one. Maybe you could talk to your neighbors?? How sad that some people don't understand that dogs, like humans, "talk" too! I wish you luck! I know how frustrated you must feel!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I have never had this problem, but those type of people are out there. I wish you the best of luck. Maybe there is a friendly way to settle it, or maybe a way to keep the dogs from barking without ruining their outside time. I wonder if the citronella collars would work.

One of my neighbors Just moved in the house across from us and to warn people about her dogs barking she sent out flyers saying that if her dogs barked to much to call her at her work and she would come home and tell them to knock it off and put the cover on the doggie door So that they wouldn`t go outside and bark!You can try not letting them go outside!

Myself I don't mind barking dogs if its not the kinda bark that makes me wonder "is that dog ok?" We are lucky with Buddy as he is not a barker but last week someone called our house late at night and started yelling about that barking dog outside and hung up b/4 we could get a word in! Buddy was sound to sleep in the bedroom at the time!
    But my mother Inlaw can't stand a barking dog and really gets on her nerves. Do you have a doggie door? We leave our dog out when we leave and find much of the time he goes inside after we leave. Sounds like the new citronella collar might work for you. I hope you find something that will work out for you.

I would sure rather hear a barking dog than a screaming kid. Our neighbor called about our dogs barking and animal control came out and laughed and said there wasn't a problem. Our dogs, however, are indoor dogs and that may make a difference. I wish you luck and if it helps any, I TOTALLY understand your predicament.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Maybe a doggie door would be good? Pick a room with a door to the outside, but that could be closed off from the rest of the house so they can't destroy it. That way they could go in and out at their on will.
    My pets are usually pleased with what I do, because they are not inflected with the concept of what I SHOULD be doing. My time is owned by: Missie,Thor, and Trinity!

I feel the same way about barking as many of the others' here. I don't mind when a dog barks a few times, but when it barks enough to become a nuciance, it would drive me nuts. Graham developed the need to bark at every little thing he heard outside and we had several complaints, and the last one said that if we don't do something about the barking, then we will be evicted! I don't like shock collars so I bought him a citronella collar and it works like a charm. We have not had a complaint since.

I would have complained if I had to live in an apartment (with thin walls) and listen to a neighbors' dog bark way too much during the day. I don't mind barking at dog parks, or places away from peoples' homes, but I think the home should be a place to find retriet from such things.

I would suggest trying to keep the pups indoors, or the doggie door was a good idea too. I am not saying your dogs bark too much, it may be just a neighbor that does not like dogs much and will complain if one tiny peep comes out of their mouth, but if you can keep them confined to the indoors it may be good in the long run. You don't want any hostile neibhbors!

Good luck Hugs to the spotty ones