Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those with grey hair...

Those with grey hair...

I need your experienced opinion. I know we've discussed this in the past but I forget everything! LOL

As I get older, my hair gets whiter. Its a terrible tragedy. My temples are 100% white at this point and the band of white grows wider annually. The rest of my hair is dark brown, almost black. No threads of grey marches through the dark sections

My questions is this: what home hair color do you trust?

I am tired of dying it dark brown and having the roots coming in as bright white. Its a REALLY stark contrast. I want to go lighter in the white sections and keep my dark hard in the dark sections.... almost like a highlight job where the hair is all lighter around the face. This way, when the white grow in, its not nearly as onvious and I might be able to go an extra week before coloring --- AGAIN. I seem to color about every 3 weeks now since the contrast is so strong.

What product is best? A semi-permanent? Is so, which brand?
    Or a permanent that does not contain ammonia to lighten my dark hair? Which brand there?

I have tried several brands, and the ones that say "up to 40% grey coverage" doesn't work because I'm 100% grey in my grey spots, so it doesn't do much good. Drat

Am I a hopeless case who should be spending her time at the salon, or is there hope for me yet?

I use Nice & Easy by Clariol.
    Love the product, easy to use, covers gray
    I use the coloring that has built in hightlites.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I use Henna on my hair once a month and it does wonders for the grey that's beginning to show otherwise. Yes it is messy but it is much cheaper than the chemical stuff.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

I used to use Nice N' Easy too. I dyed my hair for probably 10 years. Now I have given up, accepted that grey is also beautiful, and let it all grow out. I like it just the way it is. I'm sure I look older now, but duh, I am older!

I have a hard time covering my grey hair, thankfully I have a friend who used to be a hairdresser and he dyes my hair for me using professional color that he buys at Sally's. He only charges me $15 so it's a great deal for me!
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

For a while I used Loving Care in my natural brown shade. The I wanted to let it wash out and go natural.

My granddaughter kept asking me why I had pink hair!!!

It seems that my hair kept all of the red tones even through 3 months of washings. I finally got the red parts cut off. Now I'm silver on top, gray/brown/silver on the sides and brown/gray in back.

I earned every gray hair so I'm going to flaunt it

I gave up trying to cover the grey/silver in mine, nothing ever did anyway.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies
    I gave up trying to cover the grey/silver in mine, nothing ever did anyway.
    Me too Laura!!! I started getting grey when I was 18. I just couldn't keep up with it!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I may be the odd one here, as I dye my mousiebrowngoshawfulugly hair blonde. But, I DO have lots of gray, also at the temples. I have used L'Oreal creme color every month for the past 4 years! I still have all of my hair, and there are natural highlights. (I use one shade one month and another either lighter or darker shade the next to create my own highlights!)Since it is a creme, it doesn't run and get on my face. I will never use anything else.

Good luck! I am sure you will find something that will work. Look at the box for the "gray coverage percentage" and that will help you with your decision.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

I can never understand why women want to colour their hair. Be natural.....you're beautiful the way you are.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I use Wella bleach and I get it at the local beauty supply. I buy my own peroxide and mix it at home. The whole thing costs me about $3.50 (you can't beat the price) and I do it once a month. Actually my beautician (who is also my neighbor) told me about this. She said why come into the shop and pay top dollar? They use Wella at her shop. It covers my gray but I don't have any solid gray areas. I have threads of gray on top and on the sides. The back is still *me* at least for now.

Edit: Kim you could do a "home frosting" on yourself. I believe it is Clairol who makes a product called "La Petit Frost." It is for highlighting small areas. My daughter has used it very successfully.

I have never used any hair color product. I didn't get any gray hair
    till my mid forties, so it's been a slow gradual thing. I am interested to see
    what others have used, but I probably just keep the gray. I do keep it
    fairly short so it's easy to keep up.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The problem for my mom, she uses Loreal? not sure, or she goes get it professional retouch. Then in 3 weeks its back to grey, her hair grows fast. So mostly i'm the one retouching her hair every month.
    [muneca]&[chiquita]

Grey hair??? Whats grey hair???
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I've used L'Oreal for years, cuz I'm worth it!!

Grey hairs???? I've got greys in places you'd NEVER think of looking

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!